3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for a new longbow  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Bob Baur

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking for a new longbow
« on: October 14, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Help me pick my next Longbow.

I grew up shooting my grandfathers flatbow & when in my teens the compound came of age & I switched to it hunting for many years. The joy went out of archery with it & it was just a tool that I picked up the week before deer season & hung up soon as it was over till next year. Then one day a buddy asked if I was interesting in buying an old Bear recurve that belonged to his dad. Archery became fun again but I decided that I wanted a longbow. Believing in buying the best you can afford I went with a Black Widow LAG which has served me well for over 10yrs.  
In my area there are no traditional archery shops & I know no one else that shoots traditional archery. Consequently while I have a great deal of experience I am “bow stupid” having only ever shot 3 different trad bows in my life.

I apologize for the long wind up but I wanted to let y’all know where I am coming from. I have the urge to get a new bow. While I love my BW I am looking for a sweet shooting silky smooth longbow. I do plan to keep the BW for hunting though, hard to beat its performance.

I realize this is a very subjective topic & there is no substitute for trying out different bows but my ability to do that is nonexistent. Only other consideration is I am tall & need a longer bow because of my 31” draw length.

Price is always a consideration but I am willing to spend what I need to spend.

Any insights. thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Bob
Black Widow LAG 49#@28

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. -Psalms 27:14

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for a new longbow
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
My favorite is a Morrison Shawnee with carbon foam limbs. Super smooth and quiet(probably faster too!)

Offline Brutus Hedgeapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
Hey Bob, where in Ky are you?

I have a couple of Crooked Stic LB's that you'd be welcome to shoot.

Offline Bob Baur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
I'm in WIlliamstown, its about 1/2 way between Lexington & Cincinnati.
Black Widow LAG 49#@28

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. -Psalms 27:14

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
toelke whip.
smooth and sweet.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
I really l ike Fox long bows & the Howard Hill longbow.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
Please give Chad Francis at Lost Creek Bows a call...He builds that smooth drawing hard hitting bow you are looking for!
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
I'd take a long hard look at JD berry archery. There are alot of great bows and bowyers but for my money it is JD Berry bows.  And the performance is there too so no need to worry about that for hunting
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »
I build longbows but, That said, just about any of the bowyers that are sponsers build great , high quality longbows that will satisfy the most demanding. I could name most of them but do not want to leave any out.

God bless in your search:
Steve

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
If you like your BW and are looking for a Longbow...I would take a serious look at Kent's bows from TimberGhost archery.  His belly mounted longbows are amazing!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Take a look at a Big Jim's buffalo bow.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
I have a 70" 21st Century longbow that is super smooth and fast.  Might want to look at them.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
Are you looking for another R/D bow like the Widow or a more traditional straight limbed Hill style bow ???  

Lots of difference in the two styles yet both are called longbows..

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Personally, I'd pick up a couple of used ones off the classifieds here - maybe an aggresive r/d longbow from any of the sponsors on here and a l-o-n-g "D" type and see which you like better. You can always sell the "3rd place finisher" after you make up your mind or you will like them all and not be able to part with one    :)    )
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
Good luck, I recently made the switch to longbows. I have been able to try out quite a few and have really enjoyed mohawk bows and holm made osprey. I shoot 31" as well, and I would recommend at least 66" in mohawks and a 64" holm made osprey/goshawk. I have been really impressed on how the osprey shoots, and would venture it isn't much slower than my recurves.
I love shooting the longbows, something about them.
There are so many awesome bows out there, and guys like Sixby make stable bows that really shoot a fast arrow...from what I hear!
Good luck!
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
Big Jim Buffalo is my favorite longbow. I had a LAG a few years ago and for me the Buffalo is big notch above it.

Big Jim is easy to work with and has a bunch of options and offers several great looking woods without added cost.

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
I have to throw out Raptor Archery as a suggestion. Ted makes fantastic bows, self or backed, composite, straight or R/D, even very nice English Long Bows. And there is just something special about holding a real piece of wood in your hands that was hand crafted just for you that makes you want to shoot it every free minute you have.

If you are not sure exactly what you want though, I would also say to get some used ones. You can usually sell them again for about the same price as you got them. It's really the best way to find out what you truly love. Good luck. Let us all know what you end up with.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 05:48:00 PM »
Second Morrison Shawnee! Also look at Mark Hornes Traditionalist and brush bows. I would not discount a Tomahawk either

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 05:49:00 PM »
You can't go wrong with a Heart Land Bow. Cory makes a quiet, smooth and pretty bow. Excellent communication between buyer and builder. The BEST experience I'v had with a bowyer. Bowyer is Cory Engert 402-672-0300.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline jsirm20

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
I am in your position now, Im the best and worst shot with a longbow I know. I have only shot 2 longbows but my second hand toelke whip is a keeper. Maybe a 64" would be adequate for your draw? I also suggest buying used.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©