3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ILF adjustment question  (Read 296 times)

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
ILF adjustment question
« on: October 14, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
I just picked up a Trad Tech Black Onyx riser with a set of Dryad Epic recurve limbs. Being new to this ILF game I'm a bit confused. I'm reading in the users manual that the minimum limb setting is  turns out from the limb bolts being snug. If I remove the limbs,bottom the limb bolts out, and then loosen 5 turns. the limbs do not fit under the limb bolts?

Here is what the user manual says....

NEVER adjust the ******** bow’s limb bolts out beyond the factory minimum weight setting. This is found by loosening and removing the In-Line Limb Bolt Lock Screws and tightening your limb bolts lightly snug and then loosen counterclockwise a total of 5 turns. DO NOT shoot your bow with the Limb Bolts adjusted tighter that 3 ½” turns from the factory base minimum setting or if starting to set-up, when loosened 1 ½ turns from snug.

AND THEN, it says....

* The factory maximum weight setting can always be duplicated by removing the In-Line Limb Bolt Locking
Set Screws and tightening the Limb Bolts lightly snug against the bronze limb bushings and then turning the
Limb Bolts counterclockwise two(2) turns, then replacing and re-tightening the Locking Set Screws securely.

Am I supposed to be snugging up against the riser or the limbs themselves?

Thanks!
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Roverrich

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ILF adjustment question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 06:46:00 PM »
Hmm, are you missing the bronze bushing?  When you snug the limb bolt down, the bronze bushing provides space for the limb to still fit.  I can snug my bolts all the way down (to the bushing) and still fit my limbs in the riser.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
Snug against the riser and back them out from there. I never set mine at the minimum or maximum because when you put the limbs on chances are you'll need to back the top limb bolt off a couple of turns to tiller the limbs if you shoot split finger or even them up if you are shooting 3 under. You'll need adjustment leeway so I usually start mine 1/2 way out whatever the manufacturer says and then tiller from there. In your case I'd back them out about 3 turns to start.

The above poster has a point. Make sure there is a bronze bushing on the limb bolt.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by the limbs not fitting under the bolts when you back them out. Mayb take a picture or two.

Perhaps a call to John Wert is in order if you can't understand this.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »
Mount limbs on bow and screw in limb bolts to snug, 5 turns out from there is usually the maximum recommended yielding the lowest poundage. So 1 1/2 out from snug is maximum preload and 5 turns out is minimum preload for that manufacturer. To get even more confusing preload setting for maximum efficiency depends on riser length, limb length, limb design, brace height, and draw length. Remember when trad bows were simple.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
X3 on the bushings. Also another bit of advice, once you have it shooting good, mark the bolts with a drop of paint or something and record the distance from bottom of bolt head to the limb pad so you can easily get it back together if you ever disassemble it. Also good to replace those bushings if they aren't real snug on the bolt, will be much quieter if they are snug!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Thanks guys! Problem found, if not quite solved.
The threaded inserts that the limb bolts screw into have come loose. Appears that the glue holding them in the riser failed and They were screwed too far into the riser.
Couldn't figure out why, when I bottomed out the limb bolts (with the bushing) then backed them out, 5 full turns, that I could just barely get the limb butts under the bolt.

The threaded inserts still thread into the riser correctly but when you turn the limb bolts they inserts turn with them. 24 hour epoxy or JB weld to hold them back in place?

Thanks again for the help!

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by swampdrummer:
Thanks guys! Problem found, if not quite solved.
The threaded inserts that the limb bolts screw into have come loose. Appears that the glue holding them in the riser failed and They were screwed too far into the riser.
On my B.Onxy riser, if the set screws, located in the bottom of the threaded inserts are tight against the limb bolts, and you turn the limb bolts, the threaded inserts are subject to turn as well. You must loosen the set screws, or hold them in place with an allen wrench when turning the limb bolts.
When I got my riser, used, it took me a little while to figure out why the inserts were not seated in the riser at the same depth. I applied a little red loctite, then repositioned them. But, you still need to use an allen wrench to keep everything in place when breaking loose the limb bolt or set screw for adjustment.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
Makes sense BWD! I just tried that and it works perfectly!

Thank you sir!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
Another happy ending on TG.  And people wonder why they should be contributing members!?
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 05:15:00 AM »
Loosen the limb bolts
put the limbs on
tighten the limbs bolts
turn out 5 turns and you are at minimum weight.

Easy, smeezy!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©