3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Nice Evening on Stand....with a weird ending  (Read 913 times)

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
A Nice Evening on Stand....with a weird ending
« on: October 15, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
I hunted a spot last night that we usually leave alone until early October.  We've seen some nice bucks in the area over the years and want to make sure our season allows bucks before we disturb the area. We usually set up along an old stone wall that boarders a creek and heavy bedding area.  The beauty of the spot is that multiple white oaks parallel a 50 yard section of the stone wall, making it a magnet for deer in the fall.     :thumbsup:    

I hadn't been into the area since last year so I wasn't sure which oaks were dropping, if any.  As I slipped in I could hear the oaks bouncing off the stones and forest floor well up in front of me!  Nice!

Once I got settled in the flurry of squirrels began, providing continual entertainment.  About half an hour into the sit I noticed some movement up the ridge from me, as a young buck slowly moved down in my direction.  Acorns are an amazing food source and I can't help but notice the trance like affect they have on the deer.  They rarely look up and are content feeding from spot to spot, listening and moving to the sound of the nuts falling to the ground.  Here's a short video of the first buck coming down and then moving off.  

Not long after, a second young lad fed down the hill towards my stand. This buck thought he was the man and would stop to make a scrape every 10 minutes....what a show he put on!

A few more deer came and went as it got closer to dark.  I even had a beautiful red fox stroll by my stand at one point.  As the evening was slowly winding down I could hear a lone deer moving in from my left.  The first one that had come from that direction. It was a nice mature doe, all by herself and feeding right in front of me.  I drew on her once but she was moving all over the place trying to find the next acorn.  At one point she fed completely away, removing all chance of any opportunity.  I sat back down figuring any opportunities that evening were gone.  With around 20 minutes left in shooting light I noticed the doe that had moved off 40 yards or so had swapped ends and was heading right back to me.  She ended up presenting a nice 18 yards shot, that I couldn't pass up.      :thumbsup:  

The first thing that came to mind after the shot was the watermelon sound when the arrow zipped through her.  She kicked her hind legs a bit and ran up the hill and out of sight.  The second thing that had me concerned was that I didn't hear her crash?  I brought my binoculars up studying the arrow stuck in the ground.  The white feathers were crimson red!  But again, I didn't like the hollow sound of the hit and in the back of my mind....why didn't she crash?     :confused:    

I sat quietly for 30 minutes before I slipped down.  The arrow looked good but had a few pieces of matter on it that again, I questioned.  I trailed her slowly for about 30 yards.  When I shined my light up ahead I saw a set of eyes looking back at me.  It was obviously her, so I backed out quietly.  

I knew my shot was pretty good, but I've also been at this long enough to never trust my eyes on a hit, too many things come into play.  I grabbed my buddy and we slipped quietly back in 2 hours later.  The big girl was lying quietly right where I had last seen her, her head down    :)    

Here's where everything got kind of weird.  My arrows had entered and exited a touch back going through the liver. We also noticed another entry and exit wound low in the brisket.  Someone else must have shot this deer sometime earlier in the day.....maybe that night.  The wound was clean and showed both an entrance and an exit right in the front part of her chest, not 3 inches apart.  No blood, just in and out of the tallow.  If you look closely at the photo you'll see the wound low in her chest.  I have no doubt that she would have healed up just fine and the deer gave no indications of being hit.  A great night overall and a big thanks to my buddy for taking time from his family to stomp around in the woods in the dark!

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Nice Evening on Stand....with a weird ending
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Nice buddy!  Great story and ending.

I had the same thing happen to me many years ago. I killed a buck and while tracking it a fellow came along tracking the same deer. He had shot it earlier with a gun in pretty much the same spot as the one you killed. He was pretty insistent that the deer was his, but after we discussed the wounds he agreed that his shot was non-fatal.

Looks like the ACS is working pretty darn good so far!     :thumbsup:

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
Congratulations Tim. Nice doe.
Ken Thornhill

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
Congrats on your doe! It would be strange to find another arrow hole in a deer that you shot.

Bisch

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
Way to go,cool story.

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
Nice goin Tim  :thumbsup:

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
Congrats Tim, that is one you will remember.

D.P.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
Congrats, Tim. Weird ending for sure!

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »
Congratulations Tim!

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
Congrats Tim! That doe was just destined to die!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Shan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 11:17:00 AM »
Good shootin, sir. Congrats, looked like a nice evening in the woods.
Semper Fidelis

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
Congrats Tim on such a nice doe as well as her recovery!!   :thumbsup:

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Nice job Tim  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 11:59:00 AM »
Very Nice!  :thumbsup:  
Tom

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
nice deer and story.

that is interesting. ive never had that happen.  talk about a deer having a "not your day" kind of day...
is it September yet??

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
Way to go Tim.....strange story for sure.

She looks like a good tender one.   :clapper:

Online Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
TIM>>>>WAY TO GO BRUTHA!!  :notworthy:
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
What a great night!  Great shot and congrats on the doe!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©