3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best number of hunters for 2014 elk?  (Read 357 times)

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
Best number of hunters for 2014 elk?
« on: October 15, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
A friend and I are heading west for Elk next year. That makes 2 of us, is there an advantage to having 3 or even 4 or more?

We don't know where we are going, or which guides and or locations to look for. Advice is appreciated!

What does the average cost seem to be for a week long hunt? Is that long enough or should it be 10 days?

Tired of reading these threads from out west- gonna make my own next year!

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best number of hunters for 2014 elk?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
I know most will tell you two is great, but I personally like to have some of my buddies areound.  I don't mind a decent sized camp, but I prefer to actually hunt alone. a bigger camp is also nice when theres an elk down lol.

that being said, it depends a lot on the area. if its a pack in type hunt, unless your doing the drop camp thing a pair is plenty.  I base that decision on the area im hunting.  

where to go?  that sir, has a million different answers.  Colorado has otc tags and plenty of elk, but from what I hear its best to pack in.  a drop camp situation there might be good. I have no idea if you have any preference points in any state but that might weigh in your decision too.  Idaho and Montana have plenty of elk and tags you can get your first year.  im a Wyoming resident so cant help ya much on this part, but ive heard a general tag takes a point to get?  im sure there are guys on here who would know more on that.

I will say this. do this hunt if you can.  even if you don't hunt a good area and see very little, the elk woods in September are beyond special. I personally live for that month and that animal.  good luck.
is it September yet??

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
3 is a lot nicer when packing one out. It also allows you to call in a triangle, which is (in my opinion) the best way to call elk in.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
Rob hunting in two pairs of two seemed to be the better scenario for us that way we could talk about what happened and the amount of elk and bugles we heard Obviously we went two separate ways.  And the best part was having four people to pack out my elk.  

option two depending on how deep you went is to have a guys number for a pack horse.  usually 300-500 where I was and yes I gladly paid the man since we were four miles deep.  Well worth the cheese in my opinion.  

Shawn

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
Are you driving or flying?

If driving, 3 is better. 4 in a truck or SUV gets pretty cramped.

If flying, 4 is better in camp.

IMHO
Romans 8:28

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trumpkin the Dwarf:
3 is a lot nicer when packing one out. It also allows you to call in a triangle, which is (in my opinion) the best way to call elk in.
X2
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
I like two or three.  If your in a cabin or lodge situation then the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.  I love the camaraderie,  sitting around BSing, playing cards, swapping stories...etc
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
Suggestions on Guides, outfitters, locations and costs?

I am not too keen on driving 30 hours. I would rather ship my gear out for a hundred bucks and get on an airplane and be wherever in 4 or 5 hours.

seems to me 3-4 hunters are the prevailing numbers. with 4 you double your odds by hunting in different areas, with 3 you have a calling advantage.

L.R.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
If you're planning a guided hunt, 3-4 hunters usually works out OK, because the outfitter/guide provides the camp/lodge, usually does all the camp work, makes all of the decisions re where to hunt, etc.  If a DIY hunt, the more people you have, the more chances for disagreements and personality conflicts. Regardless, it's important to pick your hunting partners carefully.  Good luck. Have fun.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
If you are going to do DIY, learn to cow call and not just bugle, there are some guys that do online elk hunting classes I guess you'd call them. I know a lot of residents here that hunt OTC and don't even bother with the draw process, but they have been here forever and have multiple honey holes and keep their lips zipped. Me and my wife have been doing draw units the last couple of years, some of them can be had with zero preference points, but there is a reason some of those units can be had with zero preference point. Good thing about draw units is there is no antler point limit, you can shoot anything that is brown and an elk, the OTC units all have a 4 antler point on one side minimum, or a brow tine over 4 or 5" on one side. Start exercising now! Another good thing about Draw units is the elk respond to calls better than in OTC units, now if you get back far enough in, in a OTC unit, the elk respond to calls, but in a draw unit, often you don't have to get that far in, I called in some elk last year within a flat almost level 1/4mile from a fairly major highway, good luck doing that in an OTC unit. For a non-resident, the guide route probably isn't a bad idea for the first trip, then when you come back you will know some of the ropes. Also, if you know your going next year, you can apply for a preference point only and get all but like 30 bucks back, then buy the OTC tag when you get in state and you know it's really going to happen instead of something coming up and the trip getting cancelled etc.. Then the next time you will have a preference point to maybe go for a draw unit. Good Luck!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
Guides and or Outfitter recommendations?

I do have family in Colorado, they hunt hard (rifle) and have their own taxidermy shop- they discussed logistics of shipping a trophy (mount) and more importantly meat home for me. I understand that cost- they live in Gardner, Co..

I really want to do the Trad hunt, though I am not opposed to a rifle hunt if push comes to shove.

L.R.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
OK, since everyone voiced the pro 3-4, I'll voice the 2 is better.  

There are alot of decisions to be made in the woods.  I find when I hunt with a group we spend way too much time in discussion making a simple decision.  When elk are moving and bugling that drives me crazy.  

Also when calling I like only two.  Three is good for filming but for hunting somebody always ends up with a crappy set up.  

Also, often we set up and have to make a quick shifts.  Its tough to try to communicate that need and debate it with another shooter.  I have hunted a week every year with three and came to the conclusion two is company, three is a crowd.

That being said... We have llamas to pack our meat.  When it comes to meat hauling another pair of guys in camp would be pretty nice.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
No problem with hunting with someone else as long as they understand that I am always right...one of the reasons I mostly hunt by myself

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
You split the country, the stand sites, and the responsive bulls among the hunters in camp.  That means a good elk hunter is most likely to kill an elk hunting by himself.  On the other hand, many folks don't feel safe and confident alone in elk country. So, on the balance, I think the best number is 2.

More than 2 might be fun in camp, but it is a HUGE disadvantage for an experienced elk hunter.

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
I've seen plenty of elk die to an arrow in 5 western states, my take.

2 is perfect, 3 is OK any more and uless you are in incredible shape you all will be hunting the same bunch of elk.

You need a target rich environment- grin- that you rarely get in Co OTC areas. I would look at the draws [no pref points needed in Id or NM for a decent area]or possibly purchasing a landowner tag. Drop camps are only OK, but you might get lucky with a good one.

Calling elk is much easier with a Montana decoy. Practice calling and folding it before your hunt. If you can sound like a herd of cows- golden. Don't overcall. And don't fidget when calling, you move and those elk spot you from 100yds out in black timber that you would need binos to see them.

Elknut has the best elk behavior/calling stuff.

Be in the best shape of your life.

Be out long before light [best time to locate them]  and hunt until you cannot see shapes

Thats all I got- good luck!
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »
I have travled out west and hunted elk since 1982.  It is not like whitetail hunting where most woods have deer.  You can travel miles and never see an elk.  You have never hunted elk before and you have never been in the area before.  It is unlikely that you are going to travel out west and have a successful hunt without help from hunters that have done it before or you use the services of a guide.  Especially with archery equipment.  I would either find and experienced elk hunter that will let you tag a along or book a guide. Cost may dictate which wat you want to go.  After a few trips and learning you can easily do a DIY hunt.   It took me three trips before I bagged my first elk.  It has gotten easier each year as long as long as the weather cooperates.
T ZZZZ

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »
can anyone reccomend any guides or outfitters? I dont really care which state or area so long as I at least see some game.

L.R.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©