3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scrape hunting question  (Read 625 times)

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
Scrape hunting question
« on: October 15, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
I have a question about hunting scrapes.  I've never been one to hunt over a scrape line...but this morning after my hunt I did a little scouting and found a scrape as big as the hood of a truck and this thing looked like an elk wallow.  Should I be hunting over this scrape?  Should I doctor it up with any type of scents?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Sam

Offline r-man

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scrape hunting question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »
dont touch it and stay away.  Instead just pick a spot near a nough to see what visits.
Randy

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
If it's that active, find a good spot with the wind in your favor and set-up. Leave the scrape alone.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
Leave it be and hunt it asap!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
Yes hunt scrapes ! If I see a good en like u described I like to hang a trail camera over it see what comes I. And at what times. Mostly night time pictures but you know if a big one is around. I got pictures of 5 different bucks and does in the same scrape  last weekend when I pulled my SD card. Biggest was a 8 pt about 16 inches wide and smallest was a spike. I prefer to hunt scrapes over rubs!  I hunted the scrape and had 15 deer walk by it that evening all within bow range

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Yes, hunt it, try to set up 50 or so yards down wind of it. I had little guys run right into the scrapes but the bigger ones tend to scent check first down wind!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
Watch the camera.  You may get his pic but he may not like it.

Be downwind for sure cause that's where he'll be.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
Find the closest down wind trail and put a stand. My experience has been that bucks like to travel down wind of their scrapes so they can check it. Make sure you're down wind and good luck!!

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Robhood23 and JMG are right. The bigger bucks like to come in from down wind. They scent check and may not get real close to the scrape. If you set up correctly you'll have a chance for a shot. And as it's been said, if the scrape is already active you needn't touch it. The natural thing is best.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say make a mock scrape in the vicinity, then hunt it!!!   :thumbsup:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
I would sit down wind of that scrape about 50 to 75 yards. And don't disturb it.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
Your approach and trail to the location is critical, but if me, might try a few yards downwind, but within range for a shot if approached.

Honestly, personally have not ever seen a buck so-called, scent check a scrape, but maybe it's just me...

Seriously, if a buck is 50 - 75 yards or so away, how do ya know he is specificity scent check targeting a specific 4 foot or so area. They continually check the wind regardless of where they are....

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
That's because if it's a big buck and he is there at day light he is going to be causious. And come in down wind and make sure the coast is clear. Before approaching. If he is going to hit he scrapes it will more than likely be at night. The location also give you an observation area to see what small bucks and does are comming in and to see what direction. Then you could sit up accordingly.

The way he describes. As I have no seen this in long time in pa is a scrape line. And he has the possible workings of a breeding scrape or so they call it. And could be an amazin spot for him. That let's him hunt it without screwing it up going in the first time.

Also if I had a trail cam there I would really watch my scent and if in a week no big bucks hit it. I would piss in it myself and then just hunt it in you effective range down wind. And shoot the size of the deer your after.  Good luck!

Also if we get a good rain for a day or so and they weather is good and cool and then breaks. You better be sitting there at tht scrape.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
A little front will be pushing through in the next few days.  I'd be there.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
I have found one of those "Truck Hood Size" scrapes in my day. I hung a stand on it and ended up with this.

Here is my recollection of the happenings of that day.

As soon as I found it I rushed back to the truck to get a stand. I hung the stand and spread some James Valley doe-in-heat gel around it.  Got in it that afternoon and an hour later had a doe come to the scrape and peed in it. A few minutes later I hear a loud deep grunting. It happened again about 15 seconds later. Then again! All the sudden I see him coming through the thicket. Head swaying back and forth maneuvering his rack in and around the tangled vines and saplings. I'll never forget it.

He got to the scrape and sniffed it. Then he walked around and around it a couple times fairly quickly. I have never seen anything like that before or since. He stopped and I let one go. It hit him perfectly and he bounded over a small hill and expired.

I suggest you get in there as soon as you can.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
What time of year was it TJ?
That's a hawg by the way!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Oct 30th, Thanks Brother. It was the beginning of our rut.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Amberjack

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Now that is impressive TJ. I'd be pleased just seeing a critter of that class.

AJ
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Gen 27:3
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->>>

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Thanks AJ.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
Sure Redshaft, depending on the hunting pressure if they move during daylight, and most mature bucks are cautious during daylight hours, (except maybe with a hot doe) but the point I'm trying to make is he can't travel downwind all the time, especially in my area with changing winds during rut time of year, and depending on terrain and his approach, if wind not right he might bypass without taking risk, or just walk right on in. The wind is not always gonna be right for him to hit or check a scrape downwind every time if he is at point A and next off to point B, and highly unlikely he'll circle around to get the wind right. Deer by nature take the easiest path, and are not going to make special effort to circle around, especially a stud buck with slow metabolism to check one measly lil old scrape...... If it's flatland, maybe they'll circle (but don't know because I've haven't hunted a lot of flat ground like out west with prevailing winds), but there isn't a lot of flat land in PA from where the poster is asking, and a lot of pressure in that state. Catching a mature buck working or checking scrapes during daylight hours is going to be tuff... Just saying... Travel corridors between scrapes is a better bet in my opinion, but hard to say without actually being there looking it over with boots on the ground. There are too many variables without being there...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©