3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Be careful with your carry on items.  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Bob N.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Be careful with your carry on items.
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Being a carpenter, I always have a very small needle in my wallet for splinter removal.  The tsa agent took my needle at the tampa airport.  Some weapon...

Offline Reynold Greenleaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »
I do not wish to dispute the claims of those who have had bad experiences with the TSA folks, but those experiences are not universal.  I have flown dozens of times since 9/11 and never had a problem.  In my opinion, the comments claiming that all of "them" (the TSA folks) are stupid or that all of "them" are corrupt are less than thoughtful.  In reality, some of "them" are probably fellow bowhunters, and most are likely good, hard-working people, just like in any other profession.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 07:09:00 AM »
Ive flown dozens of times, too, without any problems on bowhunting trips.  It's pretty obvious what I am doing with the patches on my backpack and binoculars and stuff.  NOT one time have I ever been asked about hunting.  Hmm.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 07:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by Reynold Greenleaf:
I do not wish to dispute the claims of those who have had bad experiences with the TSA folks, but those experiences are not universal.  I have flown dozens of times since 9/11 and never had a problem.  In my opinion, the comments claiming that all of "them" (the TSA folks) are stupid or that all of "them" are corrupt are less than thoughtful.  In reality, some of "them" are probably fellow bowhunters, and most are likely good, hard-working people, just like in any other profession.
x2, and when you start out with a bad attitude you put the tsa on defense.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
Sure beats walking or getting blown up in the plane 35,000 feet in the air.
lll

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 08:49:00 AM »
It's a different world from when you could take your bow on the plane and have the stewardess place it in their closet up front.  You just have to be very careful about carrying anything on.  I frequently fly out of Boston with bow, arrows, broadheads, and numerous knives in my checked bag.  I always leave a note in the bag stating I'm going bowhunting and I'm also a knife maker.  TSA has not opened my bag in Boston.  But every time I leave Texas my bag has been looked in by TSA...maybe they just enjoy seeing my knives   :)  

They do have a stressful job with everyone complaining about what they are doing.  Just remember if they confiscate one of your items, it's Your Fault for not remembering to place it in your checked bag!  They even warn you and have pictures up when you enter the security line.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
C'mon Keith, we all know you're a trouble maker who's jut tying to push peoples buttons and test boundaries....LOL.

Seriously though, the leatherman is understandable and you just made a mistake I'm sure you'll never make again.  The field point thing is simply silly.  If I were given the option of choosing a field point or a pen to use a weapon, I'd pick the pen.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
I never complained about the Leatherman.  I admitted that was my fault.  Even tried to help him find it until he slapped my hand.

The points issue is just plain stupid.

Katman--At what point did I have a bad attitude?  Were you there?  I'm done.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
Travel to Israel sometime. Their pre-board screening is far less offensive to the flyer, yet more efficient and definitely more secure.    :thumbsup:  

:notworthy:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
Was informed by my sister in law, who's husbands father works for the tsa that they are supposedly given "bonus's" for what they find dependent on what it is. He allegedly showed her a printout of what different "contraband" is worth. I'm sure some of that's lost in translation but makes a guy wonder.   :dunno:
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline mj seratt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 01:08:00 AM »
My wife and I were in line an an African airport(can'  t remember which one) when I saw a little beagle with his handler approaching.  As dog lovers, I told my wife to check out the dog.  She starts saying, "What a cute lil doggie."  Then he reared up on her backpack.  I said,"Well, the cute lil doggie is ratting you out."  The handler asked her about fruits, vegetables, and such.  She was so shocked she couldn't speak, and I(being supportive) was laughing my butt off.  He never checked her pack, just finally gave up on her and walked away.
Murray Seratt

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 02:14:00 AM »
Recently I was given some very 'personal service' because I had too much foot powder in my running shoes. A while back I was put through the wringer over some long nosed pliers!
Be patient with these people they are underpaid and get almost no training.

Offline Spinealigner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 05:24:00 AM »
I travel on planes at least once a month.  It is universal law now that we are going to be searched and scanned etc.  It still amazes me to watch some of these bozo's try and get through security.  Women are the worst.  5 bracelets, long chains, jewelry, bling and more bling.  When I travel I definitely think minimalistic is best.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 06:45:00 AM »
Kieth, was not saying you had a bad attitude but reading some of the other posts sounded like some may have a bad attitude going in and that does not help the situation. Sorry if I offended you. I am sure there are very good tsa agents and some not so good just like any other profession. I agree the taking the field points was over the top.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 11:32:00 AM »
So some the generalizations I'm reading about TSA...I've heard similar negativity before about hunters...
Fact. Go to TSA.gov for any questions about what is allowed in carry on.
Those of you that travel a lot. You hate the screening process? Imagine being there 8 hours a day...I'm sure just like any job, the people are a mix of good and bad...
The biggest thing to keep in mind is why they are there in the first place. I guess is really tough being inconvenienced though.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
I had a bic lighter and two books of matches that had been in my bag for a decade or more removed from my CHECKED bag when they pulled it at random for search, items legal to carry. A friend had some expensive jewelry taken from her bag, and the careful packing job to protect her clothing was trashed. I have no problem with the system, but the training and supervision suck big-time. Thievery is always a possibility, and we are powerless to prevent their actions.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
They made me miss my flight back on Sept, 28th, I got scolded for having two sealed plastic bottles of water, I tile them I'll drink 13 ounces out of each then they'll be O.K. to take, they wouldn't have it, so I guess they were thirsty.

I told the Female TSA person she was going to make me miss my flight, she looked at me and said " then you should have gotten here earlier. So I missed my flight, but no problem, my friends came and picked me up and I left the next day, no extra charge from the airlines. I never unpacked my carry on and the next day when the other TSA person checked my bag again, she scolded me for taking the hand sanitizer with me, I explained that is was in the bag the day before when they made miss my flight. So she just said maybe that agent missed it, I told her that she went through my bag with a fine toothed comb.

The best part about all of this, is I carry between 1000 and 1500 people on my train everyday, but that is our moron Gov't for you.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
I missed a flight a few yrs ago because of the process.  All I had was a book to read.  Thats it.  I stood in line what seemed like forever.   Finally I passed everybody and went right to the front.  I received sevral remarks from people for it.

I said, "Im going to miss my flight.  All I have is this book."

The TSA agent let me thru quick.  She was real nice about it.  Anyway, I ran all the way to my gate and missed my flight.   The airline attendant told me I should have gotten to the airport 2 hrs early after I told her what happened.  My reply, " I was here 3 hours early!!"  I was, too.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
While flying home from a Sept elk bow hunt thru Denver, I had a TSA agents dog pay special attention to me spending a long time sniffing me out then licking my boots. Apparently the dog liked the taste of elk blood on my boots. No other search was required.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
I'm underpaid and have a ton of training/education:) but I mind my manners. Last time I checked, TSA agents are working there by choice.Why would someone with a poor attitude want to work with the public in the first place?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©