3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 strikes I'm out (I'm thinking of quitting trad)  (Read 1704 times)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 strikes I'm out (I'm thinking of quitting trad)
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
I did worse than that my first year. Still pisses me off.

I've done a lot better since, but this year I'm fighting some of those old demons all over again.  That's what makes it so special when it all comes together.

I will also add this....every animal I've killed with a trad bow was so much more fun and rewarding than any I've shot with a gun or wheels. It's like being a kid all over again.

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
What LittleBigMan said.  If your first priority is deer in the freezer, do what you must, otherwise, enjoy the journey.

If it helps, I missed the two biggest bucks I have ever had a shot at (compound or recurve) with my recurve last year.  DOH!  It sure was fun though.

:knothead:

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
it has already been said in this thread, but the biggest factor for most people is not practicing from the same height they are hunting from. EVERYTHING changes, from the shot angle to the penetration path, to the effect of gravity on the arrow.

most guys -- self included in the past -- don't practice enough from the tree stand.

i had a bad day recently, shooting from a ladder stand in my yard. even questioned my setup. went inside, relaxed, thought about it, came back out and shot great groups -- with the exact same setup! i wasn't bending at the waist enough, and my alignment wasn't as good as it should have been. simple fix once i figured it out.

keep at it as long as you enjoy it.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Did not have time to read all your post...but I take it you've missed 3...well get this...I missed my 1st EIGHT.....but I stuck with it...and here's some of the special animals I've killed since drilling #9.....

Soooo Glad I never gave up - Click Here

Stay after it
I had a similar start Terry, with the exception that I  just didn't shoot for various reasons. After the first kill, I went to town with many to follow.
Then, I entered a dry spell for a couple years. 3 misses and one graze due to a deflection. That spell was broke yesterday.
Don't give up. Stick with it and enjoy the ride.
it will be all the sweeter when you get there.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »
I had LOTS of advice from many great guys, but over my 3 decades doing this (reading, talking to guys) I have seen VERY few explain "WHY" this occurs. Some had personal examples of some physical practice they had done- BUT none could explain what was happening. Jay Kidwell did explain it!  He is a sports psychologist where this is his doctoral specialty. And it works in a real world!

Read Jay Kidwell's Book.  Instinctive Archery Insights.  We all need to learn to train our mind/thinking as well as the physical. World class/professional ATHLETES typically have to learn this.  You are missing for only ONE reason:  Your human/natural response/training of the brain needs to develop/practice.  You clearly have the physical skill- now to put it together!  

Most of us think we need more shooting/physical practice.  Maybe, maybe not.  Read the book- including insights to 100% success of curing target panic with the Olympians archers he has worked with.

It s not weird stuff.  Makes perfect sense once you understand it.

Hang in there. . .  as others said- It really is worth it.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
It is very rarely the equipments fault in my opinion. People miss with all forms of weapons,  firearms and archery. Your confidence takes a hit for sure though. This season so I have only been able to hunt a handful of times and one morning I got 2 opportunities,  both on bucks, both standing within 3 feet of each other at the time of the shots, 10minutes apart. Flew a mere inch over both of their backs. I was anxious,  witb limited time to hunt, and didn't focus. Could have easily happened witb any weapon, just so happens my weapon of choice is a longbow. Anyway, do whatever feels right to you, and good luck.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
If a few misses is going to throw you for such a loop, maybe trad hunting ain't for you. Misses are to be expected and are going to happen, perfect setup or not. Sam Koger told me that exact thing when I started. You'll miss many more than you hit.

Thousands miss point blank with a rifle every year just to put things into perspective.

I'm going to be the odd one here and say I'd quit if I were you if its making you miserable.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
Yep, this happened to me last year. I missed four deer in one week! Made me sick but I ended up getting one at the end of the season. Never give up!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
Everyone hunts for different reasons. I get it, misses are no fun. You have gotten great advice on how to improve your shooting, on a technical level, and how to improve your mental preparation before the shot. These tips will help you to harvest game for sure.

I think the real question is why do you hunt with trad gear? What is motivating you to go all traditional? You said, "I hunt to harvest game, that's kind of the point." I know what you mean. In a strict interpretation of what we're doing, we all hunt to harvest game. On a personal level, I hunt with trad gear because I couldn't care less about the need to harvest game. I enjoy my time afield and for me, that's enough. As for me, I feel it's more gratifying to kill game with my longbow or not at all with a compound. Having said that, I haven't killed a deer since 2009. I think if you explore your true desires about what is driving your conversion to trad, you'll find the best course for you, be it trad or compound. In the end, you need to find fulfillment in whatever method you use.

Best regards,
Dennis

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
I've struggled with the same problem before. When an animal comes in and I get ready to shoot, I mentally tell myself to slow down and focus on the spot. It seems that the rest takes care of it's self. I HAVE to slow down and concentrate or I will rush things, then the wheels fall of the bike and I end up sailing an arrow. Just tell yourself to slow down and relax. Stick with it...Trad archery can be the most frustrating thing in the world at sometimes but just stick with it, stay positive, and tell yourself you can do it.

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
It's worth sticking with in my opinion. Traditional equipment is very effective. The dedication involved and the improvement of your craft are a big part of bowhunting. The rewards are sweeter when everything comes together. Definitely practice
from a tree stand if you hunt from one.
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
You need to follow your gut on this. I'd rather miss than have a bad hit and not recover. But, this is yours and only your decision to make. I've gone back and forth on this many times myself. There is no magic answer.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Experience can be a hard pill to swallow.

Trad is different game...not all that forgiving really.

The name of the hunting game is FUN!..unless you're starving.

Do what gives you the most enjoyment.
I missed my first few as well with trad..4 actually.

That said.....

WHEN YOU'RE ABOUT TO QUIT...REMEMBER WHY YOU HELD ON SO LONG...

I can tell you from experience the first one down was well worth the effort of hanging on.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
I have those same thoughts at times. 2 Years in a row I have hit and lost BIG BULL ELK. Last year bad hit high in the shoulder this year with that high shot worrying me to death I hit another big bull low and back a little. How many opportunities do you get in a lifetime at BIG BULLS ?? My only saving grace is I have harvested 4 Good Bulls with the other style of Archery Equipment. Sticking with it is my goal. I share your pain.
Randy Chamberlin
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2013, 05:35:00 PM »
Someone close, help Tim out. Sometimes it takes a second pair of eyes or looking at it from a different perspective. I remember that first year, missed the biggest deer of my life after practicing for about a month.  I jumped up and down in the stand and whistled so the deer would run to my hunting partner Dave. He was alerted and shot it with his compound. The next year, I swayed him into trying a recurve. He shot two bucks the first morning in the stand. For me, I like that feel that a stickbow gives.  Tim in NC
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
It's good to see this type of thread.  I've been on the verge more than once.  I just don't have as much fun shooting my compound as I do my recurves.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
I started head 2 years ago.  I started with shooting a small buck on the first day of the hunt.  Fun but got lucky with a marginal shot.  Last year I shot a doe in the femoral artery.  Got the deer but didn't feel confident.  Arrow didn't go where I wanted.  Then I proceeded to miss 3 deer in a week.  Started looking at the new wheelie bows during gun season.  Then I ended up smoking a doe during the end of December.  The arrow went exactly where I was looking.  After the shot I just sat there and smiled.  That was the coolest and most rewarding hunt I've ever had.  Amazing.

I'm in it for the long haul now.

We love this because it is a bit more difficult.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Lot of deer between a clean miss and a kill.

Reading threads like this one would believe all that area never comes into play. 2, 5, x clean misses but if you keep flinging it will suddenly just appear in the kill.

In my opinion, the why of a miss needs to be addressed, especially multiples. It's just luck that a miss isn't a wound.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
This is my first trad season, after 18 years and 85 wheel kills. Missed my first two, killed my next two, and missed my lady one. All high misses. I'm getting there, but it is an adjustment.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
Tim, You do not have a "shooting" problem.

You have an ATTITUDE problem!!!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©