3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 strikes I'm out (I'm thinking of quitting trad)  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 strikes I'm out (I'm thinking of quitting trad)
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
Part of your problem is worry...you do not want to wound game...we all feel that. It is as much mental as physical...the mental part is the most difficult.

In the end, it is for the love of the hunt. It is a natural itch some of us MUST scratch.

It is YOUR decision, but as far as I am concerned, you care SO much, nothing will do but Traditional archery...lighten up on yourself some and it will all come together.  :campfire:

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
I've had similar experiences as the OP and can definitely feel his pain.  I'm still not 100% trad after dabbling in it now for 4 years.  I enjoy shooting my trad bow way more than my wheelie bow, but I just can't make the switch until I'm 110% confident in my ability.

In case any of us are wondering how effective these weapons can be, there's about 50 threads going on just in 'pow wow' of people and their harvests.  We are a deadly bunch!

It definitely comes down to practice and having someone helping you through it.  Lucky for you, this entire forum is behind you.  It's really a rare place that so many people are pushing for one another to be successful, sort of an odd place in today's world.
>>>--------->

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
not giving up and pushing through setbacks for extended learning experiences is what I consider part of the journey.  Some are lucky to go through these stages as youth with good mentors to help and encourage.  Others like myself dont start in this great endeavor until already adults....and if in an area with little to no support in primitive or traditional bowhunting....it does get quite difficult to keep pressing on.  If not for the forums, magazines and books...I am sure my interest would have faltered.

I focus on the experience, the hunt, how close I got, how many animals I saw at close range.....having a couple does within 5 feet while in my ground blind so that I can hear them swallowing acorns is a rush...even if I never took a shot or even if I missed.

It makes the few successes all the more rewarding in my opinion when you experience failure first and dont automatically go into being a successful bowhunter.

never quit...just enjoy the experiences you have.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
stick with it Buddy  it won't happen over night  but it will happen   :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
Keep at it, and you're going to get to a point where you're going to expect a good shot every time, and if you miss, you're going to be shocked as heck.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
You guys are great I was shooting tonight  and I was kinda tired and not doing so well  my change up to 3 under made my bow sound really loud and I  was just was not consistent I came in and thought that's it wheels it is. Buuuut, now that I have revisited  this thread I may hit the drawing board starting with the tune. I'm having a tough time pulling it together. Your support  I am humbled by and I thank you.
Tim.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Hooyah man!  Keep it up!  Getting close to animals is more than half the battle and it sounds like you're going that part right!  Shooting the arrow is not the hunting part, that's just the "killing" part.  Keep up the good hunting and the "killing" part will take care of itself with time and practice.  After all like the other sport, they call it "fishing" NOT "catching."
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Don't give up
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Confidence in your shooting is a huge factor.... maybe you need a new bow....   :readit:

Offline one more bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
haven't read all the posts so some of this may have already been said. I took me four years to kill my first deer with a traditional bow. I am not bragging but early on I missed the same deer three times and another with her. I was out of arrows and had to quite. and yes this was at one set. the first doe even stood straddle my arrow one time I missed her. for me it was just nerves. my leg jumped so bad I had to drive it into the stand to be able to stand still. I laugh now but you can bet I wasn't laughing then. I think I would just panic, didn't pick a spot, who knows if I came to full draw. and yes I shot pretty good in the yard. I just took time in front of deer. don't think about I got to kill this deer, cause then your brain forgets about shooting and is only concerned with the deer. You've got to make the shot first, then you can think about the deer. keep at it, it will come. every miss is one closer to a hit.

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
I have struggled through the same issue with my gear and have had way more missed than found at this point in my life but in the las two years I have noticed two things. 1.)I Its getting somewhat easier to pick a spot. I'm not saying I hit everythin but my shot sequence has improved tremendously after many years. 2.) When switching back and forth between wheels and trad, I will struggle with the same shot sequence issues. Wheels don't make the problems go away. I missed two does last year with wheels beacause i never picked a spot. Hang in there, man! Better days are ahead with perseverence!
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Offline chuprinko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
I am glad I found this thread.  Started trad last year and never even had a chance to release.  Today I had my first opportunity when spike and a fawn came in at 14 yards. Should have been an easy shot. I've practiced and make the shot easy.  After about 20 minutes the spike presented a shot, and I missed high. The doe took off, and the spike cut and hide for about 10 minutes. The doe came back, and the spike eventually came back and presented a nice quartering away shot at 12 yards and again I missed high.  I am also wondering how to regain my confidence.  My goal all year has been to take a deer with all my homemade trad gear...
didn't understand - now I do.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
Years ago, around 15 or so I reckon, I had 10 straight misses in the same season. The 11th shot found its mark on a nice 3x3. I ended up sneaking to within 8 yards of that deer, all the misses were farther. Never once did I think about giving up but I was worried because I was running out of season and didn't want to end up empty handed.

Looking back, that bow was not tuned well at all, it was also a little heavy for me. Before I got rid of it, I did manage to kill a few more mulies and a couple of elk, but I missed a lot too. I just figured all the misses was the name of the game, now a days I know better.

Tune tune tune and practice practice practice. At some point it all becomes second nature and you'll perform like a machine when the time comes.

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
I know all about it...... Missin is better than a bad shot on a deer you don't find.
Also if it was easy then everyone would do it. It's good to be reminded of how hard it is (missed a respectable mule deer this year ) personally when things gets hard it's usually because it's something worth the effort when it finally comes together.
It will get harder before it gets better "it will get better"
Shoot like you want it real bad.
People ask me how aim I tell them if I miss I just try not to do it again.  :)
Hang in there it will happen.
-just add effort.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 19, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
chup, keep your head down and bend at the waist.

Get up in a stand and borrow a range finder and learn to guestimate range from up above.   We miss high shooting down because objects are closer than they appear.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2013, 12:58:00 AM »
Tim,

Thanks this has been a great read. I am glad that you're going to stick with it. Personally, I could not quit if I tried, I'm hooked bad. I too, went back and forth with the compound until last year, I up and sold my Mathews. I will never look back, I love traditional archery  :)

I think you're on the right track by putting some time in on tuning your bow and arrow setup. Tuning and shot sequence are very crucial parts of a successful hunt.

Shot sequence can mean many different things to different people, to me it is as simple as having a repeatable shot. A repeatable shot, no matter what your heart rate is. A repeatable shot that is instilled into your brain, a shot that is automatic and consistently accurate.

Good Luck!!!

« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
Confidence in your shooting is a huge factor.... maybe you need a new bow....    :readit:  
Tim:

Even though I think Kirk was kidding, I think it needs to be mentioned that if you think for one second that the answer to your issue lies with your equipment, you are SADLY mistaken.  A lot of people DO think that, and if allow yourself to fall into that trap, you are setting yourself up for a lifelong, very expensive, and ultimately very disappointing and frustrating treadmill ride of searching for the next best thing that is going to solve all your problems.

It won't work. Your "problem" is NOT with your equipment.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©