3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you shoot a deer?  (Read 650 times)

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you shoot a deer?
« on: October 16, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
What I am asking is how do you get from sitting in your treestand to full draw on a deer without being made?
THAT to me is the hardest thing. I learned never to sit crosslegged because one of them grey ghosts appear and uncrossing my legs is all it takes to alert them.

Any tricks or strategies as to how to stand and get to full draw?
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you shoot a deer?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
Not really. Just have to catch them before they get up on you.  Move when ther head is behind tree. I like shooting sitting down if the deer is in right spot. Other than that I don't take my eye of em and move slow when they are looking away or behind tree. The biggest thing is whenever I hear or see something I get up and am ready. Most times is false alarm though but at least I'm ready.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline southernwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
What red shaft said. I'd of killed a nice buck last Friday if I had caught him sooner and had more time to prepare mentally and actually setting the shot up. Move slow, move when they are behind something, dont take your eye off of em. Keep in mind the angle that they can see too they might not see your head and chest but can see your arm or bow limbs. Just my experience with a gun and being busted with a bow. Fluid deliberate movements usually keep you concealed. Sharp sudden movements will get you caught.
SUA SPONTE
68" viper deluxe long bow 50#@28"
64" hickory self bow 50#@28"
60" pronghorn 3 piece R/D long bow 63#@28"

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
I prefer to shoot sitting down, I feel less exposed that way. Also you must set your stand up so that it will require the least amount of movement to get a shot in the direction that you expect the deer to come. Move slooooow and you can get a way with a lot. I also think that if you can stay calm, you are less likely to get busted.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
It amazes me also that as soon as I go after something in my pack is when a deer walks into view.  :eek:    :eek:
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
i was busted reaching into my pack a few weeks ago!

I agree with everything stated thus far.  I am a bit superstitious (or whatever) too...I don't look at them directly when I am moving.  I keep them in my periphery...but I am one of those guys that believe prey have some type of 6th, 7th or 8th sense...they can just feel a tensed up predator trying to pounce...so, I don't put direct eye contact on them in case that energy travels to them by coming out of my eyes LOL!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
I rarely shoot sitting down.  It seems like the deer avoids the spot where I can actually shoot every time.  I stand as soon as I see a deer in the distance that I think may come my way.  then I can adjust to the deer's movement to get the shot, left, right or straight out in front of me.  Once they get close I don't move unless they are and I can do it as they move behind cover of some sort.

D.P.

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
On top of what these guys said my dad always taught me to stay standing during the first 30-45 minutes or so of daylight and the last 30-45 minutes as well. That way if one comes in during "prime time" you'll already be waiting.

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
That's a fantastic question!!  I've been hunting deer with a rifle for almost 20 years, but this is my first year hunting with a bow.  I have learned over the years how to move into position as the deer move behind trees, feeds, etc.  With the range of a rifle, this isn't too hard to do, but I am finding out that with trad gear, it's not very easy at all!

This past Saturday, I had a doe within my bow range, which is about 15yds, and for the life of me, I just couldn't put it all together to get a shot.  The one thing I did learn about the experience is that there is a fine line between being patient/waiting for a good shot, and being able to act quickly on an opportunity that presents itself.  There was a brief moment - ~5 seconds - where she was broadside with her head behind some saplings, and looking back on it, I should have been quicker to react to it.  My shoulders, head and bow/string hands were in position, but I guess I just froze for a second as I missed the opportunity.  Lesson learned... I'm sure there will be many more lessons to come!

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
Just a though of some advicei can pass along I have noticed over the years and has never failed. When I a stand and usually on the ground when a deer is trotting in or moving by quickly. You can move and follow the deer with no problems. I think they are concentrated on where they are goin and have never been caught as of yet.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »
I can shoot up or down. I prefer standing.

I typically stand the first 30-45 minutes of shooting light in the AM and the last 30-45 in the evening.

If I get "caught" sitting I will do as others have said above, wait for moments when the deer is looking away and make slow movements. It is really pretty easily accomplished unless you let the deer get too close before you try.

The more difficult task is switching sides of the tree to shoot from. That requires a 180... a lot more movement and depending upon your stand and safety strap set-up, dicey.  The more movement involved the more opportunity to make noise and/or shake tree limbs that can alert the deer.

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
Try a saddle.  Seriously, since I started using one of these, I don't get busted visually, only with wind.  You can keep the tree between yourself and the deer, and it really helps with getting busted.  You also don't stick out like a sore thumb.

I went from the trophyline to the new tribes aero hunter this year.  I shot a buck with 10 deer within 50yds.  I don't think I could have done it with my old API.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
I get into position as soon as I hear or see the deer coming. I keep my bow arm shoulder pointed in the direction of the deer by slowly shuffling my feet or turning my torso. When he starts getting really close I will get my bow up and ready. This way when he gives me a shot, I only need to draw straight back which reduces movement. The little pouch sewed on the inside of your leg that will accept your lower bow limb can really help you keep your bow in the ready position if you should have to wait longer than anticipated.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »
I've killed 8 deer in the last doz years with my long bow and it seems they make you or don't.

I appreciate all the advice above and wanted to see what new ideas would pop up. A few did.
I have stalked 1 deer and dropped it but had the advantage of a strong wind and big trees to sneak behind.

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
I think the main thing I go by is the deer's body language. After you have watched deer enough, you can tell when they are calm and when they are tense.
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
I try not to sit and be ready to shoot at all times. As far as actually taking the shot it is simply about watching the deer's body language and being aware of any other deer that may be in the area. I like to wait for a head to be down or looking in the other direction. The best deer to shoot is a calm one.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
I almost ALWAYS shoot sitting down. It seems like unnecessary movement to stand up. I strive to see them before they see me. I play a game....every sound in the woods is a deer, until my eyes prove otherwise. I still get suprised and blindsided, but not often.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline arrowbuster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Choose your stand tree wisely. I will never set up in a tree without cover if at all possible. Look for multiple trees together for your set, getting up in that inside tree.Maybe a small tree with a lot of branches in front of a potential stand tree. Love a good cedar close to my stand tree. Just anything with cover. Pay close attention to the cover behind you also. Being skylit is worse than not having cover in front of you. Don't worry about it being to thick. With some pruners or a good folding saw you can open up some holes you can shoot through. You get a good setup with some good cover you can dance a jig as the deer go by. Well not really but it does help you get away with a lot more movement. I hate being busted and it is definitely worth the extra effort to have a good setup.
AH ACS CX 60" 53@28
PITTSLEY PREDATOR 60" 56@28
CASCADE BRUSH HAWK 56" 49@28

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
The answer to this question is why crossbows shouldn't be allowed in the general archery seasons.

But that's another thread.
Otto

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 10:16:00 PM »
I stopped getting busted once I started using a glove on the bow hand and a face mask. Ive killed three of my four deer this year sitting down with a 66" Hill style bow.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©