3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you shoot a deer?  (Read 649 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you shoot a deer?
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Through the Heart and lungs. LOL

Move when their head is covered.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
only move when either they are moving or they are in a position where you can not see their eyes.. good luck.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 12:23:00 AM »
I like to slowly extend my bow arm with my other hand on the string and draw back as soon as I see the opportunity . A swing draw makes my whole body move and I can loose my balance . But that's just me .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »
Don't recall getting made while attempting to stand up...have hunted many years and I am sure I must have at some time.

Just remember the first move to be made when it is time to stand up. Position your feet first to permit the easiest and least amount of required movement to get into position.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
Depending on the stand I shoot standing or sitting down.
I always wear either face paint or a camo mask and always have fingerless gloves on.I think a white face and white moving hands are a big giveaway.
I always try to have a stand with cover and if there is none, I make some by hanging branches or a piece of die cut camo material behind me.
With all that being said I very rarely get busted. I have had deer come and go and never know I was there but also never give me the shot I need.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
One thing I try to do is to face more towards my right side. Since I'm a righty I'm shooting across my body to the left. I find it's easier to twist a little left than it is to twist right (your form tends to collapse). I'f I'm already a little bit facing right, I can cover more area without moving my feet.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
Right on Otto!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »
I stay on my feet as much as possible especially first of the day, last of the day, and 11-1 in the rut.  I keep my head moving around a lot to try and pick them up.  I want to see them or hear them as soon as possible so I can start to set up the shot.  I move when they are looking away, head behind something, or on the move.  This is supper critical for does.  In the pre rut and rut a lot of times bucks come along nose down walking along and you can get away with all kinds of stuff.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by Otto:
The answer to this question is why crossbows shouldn't be allowed in the general archery seasons.

But that's another thread.
Truer words were never typed   :thumbsup:
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
Some good points made above, especially re when to move and paying attention to covering your moving parts (hands, face).  

One 'part' not yet mentioned is your bow quiver fletching (if you use one).  Fletch on bow quivers bounces alot, and can be a problem even when you 'think' you are moving your bow carefully.  It can be a dead give-away when getting ready to shoot.  Fletch covers are cheap/easy to make and are good insurance against getting busted by a 'fletching flag'.

Leaves near your feet in a ground blind are your enemy if shifting position to shoot (crunch crunch).  Rubber boots on metal tree stands don't do well together (squeak squeak).  Neither do dirty arrow shafts drawn back on dirty arrow rests (squeak scratch).  Make sure that your hunting coat is SILENT when you draw your bow or shift stand position (krinkle sssst).  Shoot in the same position that you practice.  I.e., if you don't practice much sitting down then don't shoot sitting down.  Same for standing up.

Details, details.  As if you don't have enough problems when a deer is standing close enough for you to count it's eyelashes and your knees feel like jumping beans, lol.

Offline cosgood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
It depends a lot on what kind of stand. If I hunt from my ladders, I tend to sit until I see deer and then stand. My climbers are a different story, though. If I try to stand up from my Lone Wolf, my seat usually falls to bang against the platform. I angle my stand to catch anything coming from my far left to center and shoot sitting. I scared off a nice buck last year cause my seat fell.
Black Creek Siren 53@28"
Black Creek Banshee TDR/TDLB 50@28"
Pawtucket Custom 50@28"

US Army Military Police 1996-2007

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
Cosgood,
If u want to avoid the old model lone wolf clank. Check out third hand archery stabilizing straps. U can use em on any stand n yours will be just like the new ones
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
I also always stand during that first and last "magic hour" of shooting light. Also almost always have my bow in my hand, none of that fumbling to get it off a hanger crap. Practice shooting sitting down so you won't have to change positions to take the shot.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
What arrowbuster said, Try to find a good pinch point with a good cover tree. You can't just set up a tree stand anywhere and expect not to get busted. Providing the wind is right, the only other consideration is how well your stand setup is hidden and natural looking. If the stand sticks out like a sore thumb, then what do you think the deer is going to see? Don't setup on top of food sources or in major bedding areas, but rather in between the two or in staging areas. I'm talking generally here because every situation calls for differing statagies.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 07:08:00 PM »
well me i dont have that problem as i hunt from the ground . trees is for the Birds  any how i like my feet on the ground    :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Knawbone:
What arrowbuster said, Try to find a good pinch point with a good cover tree. You can't just set up a tree stand anywhere and expect not to get busted. Providing the wind is right, the only other consideration is how well your stand setup is hidden and natural looking. If the stand sticks out like a sore thumb, then what do you think the deer is going to see? Don't setup on top of food sources or in major bedding areas, but rather in between the two or in staging areas. I'm talking generally here because every situation calls for differing statagies.
Your a wealth of info wish I could do some hunting and learning from you! Seem to know your stuff. You have given allot of good advice for fellow gangers including myself. When I see knawbone post anymore I pay attention.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
I like to shoot sitting if I can
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
I don't like to shoot while sitting. Usually the deer are always in wrong spot for it.
I don't have any problem standing up with deer approaching. I just stand up when they come into view but I like some others prefer a hang on stand in a tree with good background. I don't recall the last time I got spotted standing up from a sitting position. As a deer approaches I will move my feet around to maintain the shot angle. Have had a time or 2 when one was so close with the woods dead quiet, I was afraid to move my feet. I have always had good luck standing up even when a deer sneaks in on me and I don't see it til it's within 20 yards.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
I shoot sitting down almost exclusively, whether elevated or on the ground.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©