3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead question.  (Read 236 times)

Offline The-Talon

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead question.
« on: October 16, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Hello again okay I have decided I'm going to try my luck with a half dozen 3555 gold tip arrows. Now people were telling me that out of my 50# bear montana that I should be shooting a much heavier tipped arrowhead .. (I usually shoot 100) So would be 150 be okay or should I go higher and also where are you guys buying those 2 blade heavy broadheads that screw into the 3555's?
Mother Nature is my religion. Tooth fang and claw.

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead question.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
I would try shooting several different grains of tips in a field points first and find out which one flies out of your bow the best and go from there. I would start with 145 grains and work my way up. Check out 3 Rivers Archery website for 2 blade screw in broadheads. 3 Rivers has numerous ones there and read the reviews. But I would wait until you find out what grain shoots the best out of your bow first because field points are a lot cheaper then broadheads!! Best of luck!!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
Ditto that.
100 up front on your bow might be a bit light
I was doing 200 grains out of similar set ups with 3555
If you prefer 100 gr broadheads. Just get some heavier inserts

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
Braveheart Archery is also a good place to take a look at broadheads.
I would be thinking more in terms of 200-250gr. total weight up front.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 02:22:00 AM »
Ya definitely need to mess around with a field point test kit and find out what she likes. I have a Martin L-100 longbow (50#) that likes 200 up front, my Kodiak Magnum recurve (also 50#) likes 300, and my custom hybrid likes 250 (49#). The great thing about the carbon arrows is that once you get it figured out what it likes, you have a LOT of options on how to get that weight. I make up 200 gn broadheads with 125-135 gn heads & 75 gn steel adapters and have different arrows for each bow. The recurve arrows have 100 gn inserts, the hybrid 50 gns, and the longbow has the aluminum 11.5 gn inserts. Hope that helps.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©