3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If you shoot lightweight bows, what does your arrow weigh?  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: If you shoot lightweight bows, what does your arrow weigh?
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
 i will add that playing the numbers game, as in above, is nowhere near as important as whatever works best for your bow, the game you hunt, and you.  there are exceptions to every rule of thumb.
I absolutely agree with this.  Good arrow flight trumps everything else when it comes to arrow performance and accuracy.  Heavier helps as long as it shoots well and still gives a trajectory that you shoot well.  A straight flying 400 gr will out penetrate a slightly sideways 600 gr.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
There is a balence as I think my setup is a little too much for me weight wise. I will be tunning up new arrows next year hopefully
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
For my 45 lb draw recurve I shoot a 450 g arrow.

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
550/53 = 10.37gpp

All my bows eat this arrow with just the slightest thump...  

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
My Orion and Kanati both like the same setup which weighs in at 525 grains, so 10.5 and 11.4 grains per pound respectively. My RER XR likes a stiffer shaft, so I use a 50 grain insert instead of 100, so I end up with 475 grains, which is right at 10 grains per pound of draw. I generally try to stay between 10 and 12 grains per pound. Any heavier kind of gives mixed returns IMO. Beyond 12 ggp the arrows drop WAY faster. Penetration is not an issue with my setup.

Lighter than 10 ggp and my bows tend to be noisier. I will sacrifice a bit of speed for silence any day.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by 30coupe:
My Orion and Kanati both like the same setup which weighs in at 525 grains, so 10.5 and 11.4 grains per pound respectively. My RER XR likes a stiffer shaft, so I use a 50 grain insert instead of 100, so I end up with 475 grains, which is right at 10 grains per pound of draw. I generally try to stay between 10 and 12 grains per pound. Any heavier kind of gives mixed returns IMO. Beyond 12 ggp the arrows drop WAY faster. Penetration is not an issue with my setup.

Lighter than 10 ggp and my bows tend to be noisier. I will sacrifice a bit of speed for silence any day.
BTW: I don't really consider these light weight bows, but since they are in the range the OP posted, I gave a response. When I started hunting back in the late '60s/early '70s 50 and up was considered heavy. Most of my hunting buddies were shooting 45 pound bows.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
Thanks guys. About what I was figuring...seems like most are around 450-550. With the different arrow combos I'm thinking about, I'll be around 525.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
Thanks guys. About what I was figuring...seems like most are around 450-550. With the different arrow combos I'm thinking about, I'll be around 525.
this subject is one of those things where it doesn't matter what other folks are doing, because they're not you nor your arrows nor your bow.  the range of arrow weights for hunting runs the gamut from as crazy low as 7gpp to higher than 14gpp.  where you fit into that range depends on all of the factors previously mention, but here's a recap...

• what game are you hunting and what will be the typical shot distance?  this sets the stage for tackle choice - bow holding weight and arrow weight.  there typically are distinct tackle differences 'tween hunting rabbits, deer, hog and elk.  you could use elk weight gear on rabbits, but ethically not vice versa
  • more important the the arrow type, weight, foc, lmnop, is finding a hunting arrow that flies *straight* and is consistently accurate at your hunting distances
  • adjust the arrow weight for good arrow flight and perhaps trajectory.  shots on some game will be longer than others, and thats part of the gear selection
  • messing with arrow weight (and foc) *could* mess up arrow flight - don't mess with arrow weight unless yer prepared to possibly go to a different shaft spine or length or diameter, etc.
  • there are times when you *could* be concerned about arrow weight being too light (poor penetration) or too heavy (high trajectory) - this is where YOU need to decide what's best for your hunting
  • again - the goal is great arrow flight, consistent accuracy, super sharp c.o.c. broadheads
  • don't make brain surgery out of all this, it ain't all that difficult, stick to the basics and you'll do just fine.  once you have a better understanding of the basics, you'll probably just *know* if something needs changing

good luck!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
Rob, I understand what you're saying. I am simply curious what works for others and like to compare that to my own experiences. I've been from low 40's to low 50's for the last several years and all my arrows come out similarly give or take 75 grains. Recently, I'm scaling back down to 45@29. I appreciate your insight, and I appreciate you looking out for me. I'm sure everyone can learn something reading all the replies on this thread.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
i also have a 29" trad bow draw length with longbows that hold from 47 to 55 lbs @ 29", and i tend to use 10gpp arrows ... but will choose 9gpp for longer shooting or as much as 12gpp for critters like hogs in the bush.  the arrows must fly straight under hunting conditions - more important than the arrow mass weight.  broadheads must be super sharp - more important than the arrow weight ... you get the picture.  it's all good, use whatever works best for you, and the only way yer gonna know that is .... yup, try out different arra weights!  :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
43# 495 grn arrow out my whip... DEADLY!!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Totally agree Rob. Thanks again   :)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
#45@28. 2016's -502 grains. 10.6 grains per inch.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Opps. 519 grains.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
40#@30.5" Cyclone longbow, 475-480 cedar.

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
I am mostly shooting my 42# Pacific Yew longbow in the 'period correct' matches of both Mountain Man Rondys and SCA events.  I have used Port Orford Cedar for over 50 years but have now gone to the 'cultured' Bamboo shafts.  I have some very light (60 grain parallel bullet points)and I was able to 'high grade' a stack of shafts so the pint diameter was near perfect for install at 28" bop.  The arrows have a 4 1/2" Pope&Young cut fletch and the arrows average around 380 grains finished weight.
They shoot like darts and I do fairly well out to 40 yards (which is the max range in the Royal Round)  They do 'catch wind' a bit more than my heavy shafts.  I still have an Osage 54# self bow for hunting that I use with POC arrows.  Those are quite a bit heavier - I guess about 460 gr average but have not weighed in a while.  Have not hunted in three years because the wife does not like venison and the local elk have been decimated by wolves.  Too old and fat to head for the high country.
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline Scott E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
I shoot 450 grains from a 40 lbs bow with 150 up front.
Self reliance cannot be bought

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2013, 08:21:00 AM »
Haven't actually measured the draw weight yet but mine is marked 45# at 28" and I draw 28". Starting out with a 462gr arrow. Works out to 10.2gr/lb.

Looks like I lied; had my wife mark the arrow and then put the bow on the scale. I'm drawing just a hair under 29" and the bow is at 48# at that length (which means the bow hasn't lost anything over the years). That puts me at 9.6gr/lb.
SWA Spyder

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
I use Sitka spruce with Tuffheads from my 45#@28" Black Rhino 3 piece. Weight is 650 grains. They fly great. The bow is dead quiet. I don't take shots over 20 yards anyway, so the trajectory is just fine. I get complete penetration on just about everything.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
46# at 27", 525 grain arrow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©