3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fletch tape ?  (Read 660 times)

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
fletch tape ?
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
Could someone please tell me their method,in great detail, on the proper application of fletch tape.
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fletch tape ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
I think you're over thinking it.  I just clamp feather in jig clamp.  Roll tape on to bottom of feather and cut at end.  Peel red backing off and apply to jig like normal.  I very rarely even prep shafts and have yet to have a feather fall off.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Do you have good luck with tape on wraps? Never tried?

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
Is it possible that the tape I have is past its shelf life?  It doesn't seem to be very sticky.
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
My Method, is I try using fletch tape, I have a nervous breakdown at the failure of using fletch tape, recover, go to therapy, then use duco cement.

That's the best detail I can give you.

Actually it's not bad, I just have a hard time getting the backing off.  There's no backing to peel off with duco.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by jimneye:
Is it possible that the tape I have is past its shelf life?  It doesn't seem to be very sticky.
Yes.  I've used fletch tape for quite a while.  It definitely has a shelf life and you need to keep it sealed.  I've had way too many feathers come off lately.  Pressure from other feathers in the quiver caused several of my feathers and my son's feathers to come off.  I am now using loc tite super glue.  I won't go back to tape.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
On aluminum I love it! I just did a few yesterday. I hunted with arrows that were fletch tapped last winter and they held fine in bad cold rainy weather. The only time I have seen issues is in the heat of early season. If you put a light dab of glue on the front and rear of the feather afterwards they are solid and obviously extremely fast to put together.

How old is ur tape if its not sticking?
Levi Bedortha

Offline longbow565

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 12:18:00 AM »
I tried the tape for a couple years and went to fast setting super glue over a clear wrap and never looked back.
A man wearing a helmet defending his country should make more money than a man
with a helmet defending a football.
God bless America

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
I use tape with a dab of fletchtite on the ends. I apply it to all my feathers first leaving the red backing on. I prep the shafts with 99% isopropyl alcohol on a cotton ball. Peel and apply like normal.  I take the clamp off and run my fingernail down the spine to ensure contact. I shoot cx heritage 250 shafts.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 01:52:00 AM »
It is possible your tape is past its shelf life and probably is if your having adhesion issues.

These fletch tape threads have come up many times before.Some love it and some dont.

I have used it for at least 10 years and it has served me very well.Its about all I have used on dozens and dozens of arrows.Very simple and fast is why I like it.

Fresher tape works great.Doesnt have to be brand new or anything like that.Not so fresh and it does not work as well.I Could not tell you about exact shelf life.I store mine in the fridge in a ziplock.Doesnt seem to breakdown stored like that.

Press down on the quill the entire length with good pressure.Apply extra pressure at the front and rear after arrow is fletched a few times.I just use my finger.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 04:54:00 AM »
I went 100% to fletching with it in my bow shop about 10 years ago. I do have a simple process and that is:
1. clean shafts with soap and air dry.
2. roll on arrow wraps if ordered
3. put on fletch tape on feather, cut to length of feather.
4. scrap with sharp razor to lift the pink backing on fletch tape.
5. apply the fletcher to arrow shaft
6. lift fletcher off arrow, take arrow from fletcher
7. I run my nail down the side of the feather to make sure the tape has full contact with the arrow shaft.
8. I then put a drop of glue on the front and back of the feather.

I have arrow left in the snow and found in the spring and still had the feather on the arrow. It does take time to get in the swing of handling the tape.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 04:56:00 AM »
one other thing I keep the fletch tape in the old ice box and this extends the shelf life of the tape.
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
I was told all tape products have "shelf lives". The adhesives just don't last forever in that state.

ChuckC

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
Make sure shafting/wrap surface is CLEAN!!!
Unpackage tape
carefully apply to fletch
trim any overhang with very sharp scissors
use razor tip or something fine and sharp to lift backing,  as not to touch it with your hands (skin oils)
put fletch in clamp and set in jid on arrow,  making sure you have full contact to shaft.
Apply some light pressure to seat fletch.
Continue for the rest of fletching.
Realize its not anywhere as good as glue,  locate remainder of roll,   place in trash recepticle.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
We have a helpful video on the bottom of this page of our website.  Here's a link to the page, I don't know how to post the video here.

LINK - "Feathers and More" webpage at Braveheart Archery
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
I have not used anything but tape for the last six or seven years, wood, carbon, aluminum, wrapped and unwrapped and never had a problem.

I do exactly like sweet old bill except I give the shafts a quick wipe with denatured alcohol instead of the soap and water.

I do believe the glue gets old and I buy a new roll if the old one is more than two years old.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
I don't use tape anymore because if you lay your arroe down on a flat surface for any length of time the feather will slide around and flatten out.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »
Heat is the only issue I've ever had with it. In the hot summer,the feathers can change position with,or without glued ends. The heat lets the tape get a bit gooey. Short of that,I liked the tape. It is fast to fletch with for certain. rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
I've used it for years with good success.

I've used it on wood, aluminum, carbon and on wraps without problems.

The surface must be clean to start with. Put the feather in the jig. Lay the tape on the quill straight, press it down good, snip tape with scissors. I use a long, sharp, HAT PIN to lift the end of the tape backing, then lay the jig on to the shaft, remove jig, run my thumb nail down the footing on the quill to insure a good bond, then using pressure, press down on the feather from end to end. After all fletchings are on the shaft, I put a dab of glue on each end of all feathers.
It gets pretty hot in Texas during the summer and I haven't had a feather come loose yet.
Last week I built a dozen wood arrows. The tape I used was at least 2 years old. In my experience, shelf life isn't a problem with fletch tape.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
Seems your question starts with frustration...

If that is the case, do some searching on here.  I think you will find two distinct opinions on this stuff...best or worst stuff ever.  It is very odd.  And those opinions come from good people.   BTW  I am in the latter, but others seem to love it.

I offer this not to bash the stuff, but in the event you are frustrated because you cannot get it to work, I wanted you to read many smart and varying opinions to aid your decision on  the need to buy newer stuff, different cleaner, etc.

Been there done that and thought it was me until I did more research.  Again opinions vary.  I am just trying to offer that more research may be cheaper for you.

I use gorilla super glue and will not switch again unless they someday change the formula.  No directions necessary :-)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©