3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fletch tape ?  (Read 659 times)

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: fletch tape ?
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 05:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by TaterHill Archer:

Originally posted by jimneye:
Is it possible that the tape I have is past its shelf life?  It doesn't seem to be very sticky.
Yes.  I've used fletch tape for quite a while.  It definitely has a shelf life and you need to keep it sealed.  I've had way too many feathers come off lately.  Pressure from other feathers in the quiver caused several of my feathers and my son's feathers to come off.  I am now using loc tite super glue.  I won't go back to tape. [/b]
I am having this same problem. I have been an advocate for tape for a long time. If this stuff has a shelf life then they should stamp the date on the wrapper. I just finished some arrows and I have some fletching coming off already... (I am not sure how old my roll of tape is  :knothead:  )

Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Wetfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
They work great as long as you prep the shaft, I almost swore them off after they fell off my wrapped aluminum and bare carbs. I assumed that the wraps out of the packaging would be clean.  Then I tried with bare alum cleaned with acetone and they now hold up great. I am going to try them with wood over poly and see how they do. BTW I have had the tape out in the open for years and its still sticky. But now you guys have me paranoid and will have to deploy a ziplock on them.

I wouldn't use them on carbs if I still shot that stuff, I would think that on a porous surface like carbon the glue would penetrate and create a better bond. Especially here in WI where your arrows can go through a freeze/thaw environment  hundreds of times thoughout their life cycle.
Dwyer Dauntless  61#@27in
Grizzlys and Woodsmans
Oak BoardBow 52#@27in
Bear lil Brave 2 12#@19in

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Thanks too everyone.  I think my tape has been laying around open for over 3 years. Time for a new roll. It really is fast and clean (no glue mess) and I've never been one to give up too easily.  I think too many people like it for it not to be a useful method. Gonna get a fresh roll and some gorilla glue gel(just in case). Thanks again
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »
Used it for awhile and it was okay, but it creeps under pressure for the same reason it works (the adhesive doesn't harden fully).  I use impact-resistant super glue gel now.  Much better!

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by Benjy:

Originally posted by TaterHill Archer:

Originally posted by jimneye:
Is it possible that the tape I have is past its shelf life?  It doesn't seem to be very sticky.
Yes.  I've used fletch tape for quite a while.  It definitely has a shelf life and you need to keep it sealed.  I've had way too many feathers come off lately.  Pressure from other feathers in the quiver caused several of my feathers and my son's feathers to come off.  I am now using loc tite super glue.  I won't go back to tape. [/b]
I am having this same problem. I have been an advocate for tape for a long time. If this stuff has a shelf life then they should stamp the date on the wrapper. I just finished some arrows and I have some fletching coming off already... (I am not sure how old my roll of tape is   :knothead:   )

Benjy [/b]
I was an advocate for a long time too.  I've cleaned the wraps.  I've used a drop of glue on each end. Doesn't matter.  It's not 100%.  It's somewhere around 50% come loose somewhere.  Most of the time it's so bad they have to be completely redone.  Not so with Loctite super glue so far.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 12:41:00 AM »
I do an unconventional method of applying my tape. I never like rolling out the length of the tape and trying to stick it perfectly so what I do it keep the tape on the roll, peel the outer layer or tape off, press it up against my feather(already in jig) and roll the tape on. When I'm done, cut it where you want it'll stop. Afterwards. I put glue on the front of my feather.

I have had good and bad results with the tape. But I think it has to do with experience of using the tape. I let each feather set a couple minutes even though its instant.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©