3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: It was a great morning to be in the woods!  (Read 656 times)

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
It was a great morning to be in the woods!
« on: January 20, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
It was a great morning to be in the woods  --  too bad I didn't kill anything!    

No bloody arrows and no hero pics -- but I had a great time.  Archery Deer and Turkey seasons are still open in Arkansas.  A cold front is moving through today and bringing nasty winter weather with it so I decided to give it a whirl this morning -- beating the weather which started about an hour ago.

As I said, it was a great morning as pretty as you could ever ask for in January.  I heard a pack of coyotes terrorizing our deer herd.  I saw two deer, but never had a shot opportunity, and finally I had a close encounter with two hens and one REAL nice gobbler that resulted in a tense few moments.  At one point I had my bow at full draw but ended up passing at a long shot on the old Tom that was sporting an 8-10" beard.   I just didn't feel comfortable with the combination of the range and the swiftness with which the bird was moving thru my only shot window.  I just counted coup and thanked the good Lord for the opportunity!

To wrap it all up, when I got back to the truck which was parked in the gravel pit on the edge of the timber -- there were 7 does out in the open about 300 yards away.  I swear I could hear laughter on the breeze that was blowing from them to me!       :biglaugh:  

All said and done, it was a great morning to be in the woods, there's no place I would rather have been!
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: It was a great morning to be in the woods!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
man am i jelous!!! deer and turkey are closed in NY, still chasing small game and yotes. was great to read about someone still deer hunting, thanks for the story.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: It was a great morning to be in the woods!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 03:58:00 PM »
My pleasure Ken -- hopefully I'll be back after them next Saturday.  We're getting a mix of rain and snow right now so I'm gonna lay low this afternoon.
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©