3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bareshafting?? Why/how groups with fletching?  (Read 310 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Bareshafting?? Why/how groups with fletching?
« on: October 17, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
Guys- Using Adcock tuning system-  you have to set up 1/2 dozen arrows including some fletched shafts??  This makes no sense to me if you are starting from scratch.  It seems to me all I want to do is shoot, cut, and modify ONE shaft until I get it flying accurate.  .  So why can't I just shoot the bareshaft with variables of pt. wt. and shaft length until I have a true shooting shaft?  Righthanded- nock right= stiff; nock left = weak.  Does it really have to be more complicated?  At 190fps I sure seem to see the nock clearly going left or right?

:confused:
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Looper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bareshafting?? Why/how groups with fletching?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
I only use one of each, a bare and a fletched. Just shoot them multiple times. You're right, though, you can do it exactly as you say. However, I don't trust one shot to be an indicator of anything, so I shoot a few shots to verify what I'm seeing.

You're also right that you can see which way a shaft is leaning in flight. I've also seen guys totally mess up their form trying to watch the shaft fly. But I can guarantee you get the same results by focusing on where the groups are in relation to each other, maybe even better. It's difficult to tell exactly how much lean a shaft has in flight.

For example, I know that if I'm 6" right or left at 20 yards with a bare shaft, that equals about 50 grains of point weight or an inch of shaft. I don't know how that translates into shaft lean.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
Thanks.  Two makes some sense. . . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
I have asked myself the same question! What if it is a new bow-new shafts and you don't have any fletched yet?? LOL
It is a great tuning system just the same.   :thumbsup:

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
I do as you describe. I do not feel the need to make 1/2doz arrows up for tuning. I make up 2. One fletched and one bareshaft, and track my groups, adjustments, point weights with photos or notes.

I do like to OL adcock method of tuning. It has worked well for me, along with Stu's caculator to get me close for a starting point.

Good luck,

B

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©