3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Stand Mods - share yours  (Read 692 times)

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree Stand Mods - share yours
« on: October 17, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
I had another T-ganger ask me what I did to my stands to make them more comfortable in "leaner" trees.  We went back and fourth in the PM and realized he is a ladder stander and I use hang ons almost exclusively so we were not exactly on the same page.  I thought this might be a topic that has not been covered as much as it could be and maybe we could help one and other.  Especially in regards to long sit comfort and other additions or mods that make stands "better"?

The first mod here is an adjustable foot I put on some of my Gorilla stands to give me a little adjustment at the base of the stand to move it away from the tree on a forward leaner.  I just drill holes, weld a couple nuts to the legs and fab up a slide in foot.  With a couple bolts and a 1/2" box end I can move the base of the stand away from the tree until it is level.  Works sweet.  

The second is removing the cables and adding my own with turn buckles on both sides allowing me to adjust the stand for front or back leaners.  I also upgrade to overkill cable and be sure to buy high end "overkill" turn buckles and set them about 1/2 way open when squaring up the stand so you have two way play.  

Another option that would be a little heavy but super strong is to use chain in place of the cable with hooks on one end allowing one link at a time adjustability.  

I also test, tighten and add vinyl washers to all my stands before the season as needed.  I Hate squeaks!!

Add your suggestions and mods - lets see what your tricks are??

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Stand Mods - share yours
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
nice, overkill is fine in my book.

Offline Joshua Polland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
I chopped off the front bar of my Summit Viper right in front of the supports. It makes shooting a longbow out of it much easier. I really like the turn buckles that you used.

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
I built my lock on, I love it. I fabbed the seat out of a office chair and made the arm rest lower then normal for archery shots. I also added "overkill" support bars all the way to the front foot portion of the stand. Made extra teeth for the back so the stand could bite or grab the trees better.

Your stands look great
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
I make washers out of milk jug plastic to quiet moving joints like seats and platforms.  I'll also adjust things to get rid of armrests.  If sitting, I like to keep my bow in my lap and armrests really interfere with that.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
On my Climber I use military pack straps. I think they are molle straps. Not the allice. They are absolutely amazing. And will change they way you think of your stand. The comfort level is like nothing u have felt and the precieved felt weight is like a burden off your shoulder.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 11:44:00 PM »
Thanks for posting this.  I am going to have to figure out something different for my ladder stands.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline stickem1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 02:17:00 AM »
X2 on the Molle straps. I also replaced the seat on my Summit climber with a Hazmore net seat, a major improvement IMO.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »
I went to the local craft supply store and got strands of artificial foliage to tye-wrap to the frame of my loc-ons.  I still try to hang in good surrounding cover, but figure every little bit helps.  The deer have been educated to look up and I've had obvious stands busted before I ever hunted them!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 10:47:00 AM »
Do you guys have any advice or tips on how to keep my pull up rope on my stand? I use a lone wolf Hand climber. And I try to be as fast n efficient as possible. By keeping it on my stand all time that self helps speed things up. Thanks
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by RedShaft:
Do you guys have any advice or tips on how to keep my pull up rope on my stand? I use a lone wolf Hand climber. And I try to be as fast n efficient as possible. By keeping it on my stand all time that self helps speed things up. Thanks
I keep my rope rolled up & stuffed inside an old. aspirin bottle & then attached to the handclimber..keeps it nice & neat..when your walking through thick spots it doesn't get tangled in everthing..i've got picts somwere..
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 02:14:00 PM »
A picture is worth a 1000 words.  Can someone post a pic of the Molle straps to which you are referring?

Thanks!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
Wildman....I don't have pics of the Molle straps but you can type "Molle Staps for Treestand" in Google Images and get hundreds of pics.  You can also see pics and buy them on the big auction site for $25 or so.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by DarkTimber:
Wildman....I don't have pics of the Molle straps but you can type "Molle Staps for Treestand" in Google Images and get hundreds of pics.  You can also see pics and buy them on the big auction site for $25 or so.
Aaron,

Thanks!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
Best thing I ever did to my old steel Summit Climber was to add the foot stirrups(like they come with now) and I changed out the bulky seat with a "fish net" type seat that is great. Oh, and I also added back pack straps that are two gun shoulder-straps mounted to the bottom for ease of carry.

Even though my Summit is the old steel model, it still only weighs around 27 pounds.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline hogless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
I used a Alice pack frame and cable tied it to my summit open shot . It's nice with the waist belt

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
Also use the Moelle shoulder & waist straps and the frame on my Lone Wolf.  I simply zip tied the frame w/ straps to the stand and leave all attached while using.  Works great!
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline 3dmuzzy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 05:17:00 PM »
I have one of the small retractable dog leashes on my climber for a pull rope works great always stays with stand >>>>------> ED
Put some air under it.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 07:36:00 PM »
Added a Hazemore net seat to my Summit Vipers as well as felt pads from Lowes in between the top and bottom sections where they touch when packed together. The pads are cut to fit and self adhesive backed. Keeps them dead quiet when packing them in as well as when you are putting them back together when you pack up to leave. Change the heat shrink on my cables every two years to keep them quiet too. You can buy tubing off *bay cheap. Filled all the hollow tubing with expandable foam to deaden the Viper too. Side saddle bag on Viper has extra light, pull up rope, Gerber saw for limbing new trees.

On our hang ons we use, " The Claw " backpack straps to pack them in with. No more sliding straps and constantly having to pull them back up on your shoulders. Put a pair of QD gun sling swivels on the end of the straps fo quick on / off once you get the stand to where you are going. The QD swivels just lock into a hole in the expanded metal platform. Throw the el cheapo cushions that come with cheap hang on stands away and put Big Game or Gorilla brand 3" thick, soft, quiet cushions on them. You will thank me later.... !

Heading to fab shop this week to get some 3/16" plates cut 2" X 4" to bolt to the base of our hang ons where the cables attach. I will use the existing hole for the cable attach point and drill an additonal hole to bolt this 2" X 4" plate to the base of the stand. I will then drill a series of holes along the 4" length of this plate where it sticks up about 1" above the base of the platform. This will allow me to pick a hole to attach the cable to depending on the angle of the tree. I will use wingnuts on my attachment bolts so I can adjust in the field at the tree.

I will also buy a "Twisted Timber" brand stand for really oddball trees. It is a awesome product and I wish I could afford more of them and not be afraid to leave them out there for some dope to steal....  :banghead:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
I just use high quality poly braided rope that you can weave back into itself for platform supports.  Lightwt. and quiet.  Adjustable for the platform.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©