3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quivers VS quiver  (Read 737 times)

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trad Bowhunter
Quivers VS quiver
« on: October 17, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
I have a home made back quiver but was curious about the ones that mount to the bow,whats the pros & cons of either ?

What quiver you use & why ??
It's a twang thang,some people git it, some people dont.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quivers VS quiver
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
When I shot recurves, I sometimes used a bow quiver, but with longbows it just seems to mess up the balance. Also, there is a whole lot of visible movement when using a bow quiver. Plus, back in my foolish youth, I had one of the bow quivers that did not cover the broad head. Yep, stabbed myself in the thigh, but luckily not seriously. That's when I gave up the bow quiver.

On the other hand, a back quiver is sometimes noisy and prone to hang up in brush. Note: if your back quiver rattles a lot, you are moving too fast. Also, my back quiver is my freight hauler. I carry extra items attached to it or in the storage area, which I can't do with a bow-mounted quiver.

I don't see myself ever going back to a bow mounted quiver, but you will find many effective hunters who love them.  My suggestion is try them both and use whichever one suits you better.
Sam

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:47:00 PM »
I do not hunt with a quiver on my bow, but I need a convenient way to carry arrows in the woods. I use a Great Northern Quick Mount quiver on my takedown bows and a Great Northern strap n quiver on my one piece bows. They both are very easy and quick on and off.

I tried a side quiver and back quiver but did not like them. If I go on a mountain type  hunt like an elk hunt, I use a Safari Tuff type tube quiver or a Cat Quiver.

Bisch

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
I love the look of back quivers but they are just plain ol' in the way.  I love my bow quivers and seem to balance my centaurs out.  An arrow is always right at hand.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Mike Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Johnny,
I guess it's personal preference, but I like a bow quiver because having everything in one package, arrows ready for a second shot if needed, I like having a little extra weight on the bow (makes me more steady during the shot). I sometimes use a climbing tree stand and a back quiver is too cumbersome for me then. Check out Kanati Bow Quivers (a sponsor here) many different models to choose from, high quality, and colors to compliment any bow, you can't go wrong.
NCBA Member
60" Wes Wallace Mentor T/D Kanati Limb Bolt Bow Quiver
60" Stalker Coyote XT Longbow Kanati Dual Arc Bow Quiver

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
I just did a podcast that talks about the differences, pros, and cons, to each style of quiver. Its right at the top of the page if you click my link in my signature. Episode 26 "quivers, gloves, tabs, and arm guards".

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 11:35:00 PM »
I started using a back quiver this year. I have found that I can carry a lot of different arrows and still stay quiet in the stand. I did hunt with a quiver on my bow last year with good success, but I have found that the back quiver is my cup of tea.  :thumbsup:

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »

This is my quiver setup for elk hunting, when I hunt deer from a treestand, I like a bow quiver now, last year I couldn't get an arrow out of the pictured quiver without a lot of movement and missed getting a second shot at the only buck that came by my stand the whole season. I really think I'd like to try one of those single arrow bow quivers to have a second arrow quickly. Sometimes when hunting elk and we set up and call I like to take my quiver off, it removes from the scabbard quickly and easily, but if I move to get a shot then I don't have my quiver attached to get a second arrow, it bit me in the butt just this past season elk hunting. Been having trouble locating the single arrow quiver though, I know a lot of guys make their own, but I'm just not very crafty that way.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
I'd prefer to NOT use one. But hunting out here in the mountains, with a hip or back quiver.  Just doesn't work well. These way too. Any other things to carry as well.  I've found that small quivers close to the bow work best  like the EFA or the kanati pro angle.
Just my $.02
Good luck with your search

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 01:26:00 AM »
I have a bow quiver that rides on my recurve if I want to cary my pack or hunt very light (think bow, knife, tags, and a candy bar).  I find it settles down my shooting due to the added weight to the bow.  I like the back quiver when i take the longbow... my LB's will likely not see a bow mounted quiver.    The upside of the back quiver is a light bow in the hand and many arrows and other gear on you back.  Set up correctly they are quiet and very handy.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 05:23:00 AM »
I use a Catquiver 2 & 3. I don't like shooting with a quiver mounted to my bow. If I am just going to hunt the afternoon I pack lite and use my Catquiver 2, (water bottle, scent and candy bar,). But if I am going to hunt all day or hunt deep woods, I will use my larger Catquiver 3 so I can pack more gear, (lunch, water bottle, tree steps, pull up rope, scent, etc., etc.),. With each Catquiver I can pack 6 arrows as well. I can also access my arrows fairly easy while on my back too.   :archer2:

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
One of the things I have to decide for myself as well. The recurve I bought came with a bow quiver and I have a back quiver. I never cared for a bow mount quiver on my compound as it made the thing less maneuverable in the stand (at least to me). I'll probably try shooting over the off season with quiver on and w/o and see how I like it.
SWA Spyder

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
I carry both the quiver on my bow has all Broadheads and my side quiver has all my blunts for small game when I am stalking i leave my side quiver behind. My Longbow two quivers and arrows still 4 LBS lighter than all the stuff I carried with my compound.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
I have seen this type of thread come up a thousand times and I have responded the same each time: Raptor side quiver. There isn't a better hunting quiver out there.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
Bow quiver gets my vote. I like the feel of the bow better with the quiver on it and its always with the bow, I took my bow but not quiver hunting 70 miles from the house when I was using a GFA quiver    :banghead:    :banghead:

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
On my recurve, I use an Alpine Soft Loc 3 or 5-arrow quiver or a Cat Quiver. Longbows I use a Hill back quiver
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »
If you don't like a bow quiver, this is a good option, The Shrew   Mantis quiver

http://shrewbows.com/shrew_mantis.htm

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline NomadArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
Best thing I have found was the Safari Tuff quiver.

Offline Yol Bolsun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 06:10:00 PM »
On the other hand, a back quiver is sometimes noisy and prone to hang up in brush. Note: if your back quiver rattles a lot, you are moving too fast. Also, my back quiver is my freight hauler. I carry extra items attached to it or in the storage area, which I can't do with a bow-mounted quiver.[/QB]
Sam, I am a nubee here and newly returned to archery. I like your idea. Do you have any pics?

Keith
Keith
nubee with Samick Sage 62"/40&50#

"It's on my To-Do list" - Shrek

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
I have and have used a side quiver, bow quivers, and a back quiver. I like the back quiver the best overall. I think I can get by with more movement in the stand without 4 extra sets of fletching moving with my bow. Bow quivers are definitely handy, and I have killed deer with them on the bow, but I've spooked some too.

That doesn't mean I'll never use one again, but right now, I'm pretty happy with the Hill style back quiver. When I'm moving through thick stuff, I just swing it down under my arm and I can move pretty quietly.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©