3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: floating anchor  (Read 256 times)

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
floating anchor
« on: October 18, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Anyone shoot with a floating anchor?
I was thinking of getting a primitive bow that the max will be 20-24"
This naturally will require a floating anchor.
Just wondering how accuratly these can be shot.

Let me know
Slickhead

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: floating anchor
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
I am assuming you are referring to your draw hand position just before release and perhaps I am missing something, but you cannot have an anchor that is "floating".

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
I do. I have no anchor point. Comes from all the bowfishing I do. All quick shots at all angles. Comes in handy deer hunting but is a mess on a 3-D range. When I just pull back and shoot I can do ok on the range but when I start trying to aim its not good.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
Well, many indian tribes shot with a floating anchor and a short draw and kept their families alive with them.  The more you shoot the better you will get at it.

With that said, I'd personally not shoot one due to the tendency for development of target panic/freezing early.  It took me several years to break my own freezing early issues.  Also, you will not get nearly the ballistic performance with the short draw as you will with the long.  A solid anchor point is very much associated with accurate, consistent shooting.

Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
I will tell ya I had quite a few bad cases of target panic. And would short draw bad. Well I never hit anchor but I could shoot exceptionally well. But I shot all the time.  So it absolutely can be done.

I worked hard to get a solid anchor. But if you had to...
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Slick head - do you have a particular bow in mind that has a short draw length? Because you don't have to have a short DL just because it is a primitive bow.

Also, you can still have a consistent anchor even with a shorter than normal DL.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©