3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is this a good deal?  (Read 642 times)

Offline Treespain

• Trad Bowhunter
Is this a good deal?
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
Im trying to make the switch from compound to traditional on a  budget so i've been looking at a few used recurves and their reviews. I was looking at the samick sage, which there are plenty of information on and also I found a Bear Hunter TD for $150 used. Is this a nice shooting bow? There seems to be a lack of good information on it and i'm wondering should i pick it up or just order a sage instead. What are some things I should be wary of when buying a used recurve?

Thanks ahead of time!

-Travis

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is this a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
If you can get your hands on both bows and shoot them the best deal will probably jump out at you I've bought well priced bows that I couldn't shoot if you have options try to explore as many as possible sometimes the 35 dollar flea-market bow is the best deal, good luck.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
One important factor is the draw weight of the Bear bow...how much draw weight are you planning to start with?

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Treespain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
I was planning to start with a 55# or 60#.  Im pulling #65 pounds on an old compound now and I can shoot all day without being sore. The used bear I was looking at has 60# limbs and from what ive seen its hard to find replacement limbs for it.

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
If the bow has straight limbs and is otherwise in decent shape, the price is fine.  Whether you should buy it or a Samick, or anything else is not something we can really tell you.  As jrbows said, it would be good to shoot them first.

A few words to the wise - get a draw weight that you can easily handle.  It is not uncommon for guys who move from compound to trad to be over bowed.  #40 is not a bad place to start as it is light and legal for deer in most states.  Again - make sure you are not over bowed, better lighter than heavier.

Every bow feels and shoots different.  If you have a longer draw, a short recurve could be a problem.  I will say that for most people a 60 0r 62 inch recurve (like a Bear Grizzly or a Howatt Hunter two very common used bows) in the right draw weight is generally going to work fine.

Again - shoot a few before you buy!
And have fun, you are starting a great adventure!

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
You probably need a little lighter draw weight to start.  I just switched from a wheel bow and was shooting a 70# Matthews and a 45# Bear was more then enough to start out.
Somewhere I think it indicates when switching you need to start about 30# lighter.
Shooting traditional is a complete different game, you have to think about things differently.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
You should start out with at least a 15# lighter stick bow you buy than your compound.  Pass on the Bear Hunter, it is definitely too heavy for you.  Hint whatever traditional bow you buy will have zero letoff.  I would recommend no more than 45#.  Look in the Tradbows classifieds and find a bow in your price range that's no more than 45# at your draw length.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline Treespain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input! I believe ill go with a 45# sage then, I found a pretty good deal on one. I feel as soon as I get one bow im gonna want another so I might as well start somewhere!

-Travis

Offline r-man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
lancaster got me a sage in 3-4days last month, bows ok, but becarfull over drawing it, 28" is it.
Randy

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
Travis - Yes, you will end up with more than one!

:goldtooth:

Offline Treespain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
Just put a bid on a sage so well see!
-Travis

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
55 or 60 too much to start unless you have patience to wait 3 months to get stronger.  As others have said I suggest max 45 even if a big fella.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Treespain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
I took the advice and put a bid on a 45# one. well know in two days if it will be mine!

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Yes the draw weight dilemma is the most important advice for a beginner. You did good! Hope you get a good deal on a bow. Welcome to the gang!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Treespain:
I took the advice and put a bid on a 45# one. well know in two days if it will be mine!
Excellent!  Good luck.  For a first bow you can't really go wrong with any decently made bow in a reasonable draw weight.  At the beginning (and really for the rest of our lives haha) the shooter is 9/10 of the equation so enjoy and hope you have a ball with the Sage.  I once had one, now its more a matter of "umm honey Ive had that old bow for months, ages really, no its not a new one!"   :D
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
45 lbs. is a good choice. I wouldn't worry about over drawing the Samick. You're not going to hurt it if drawn to your natural draw length. Best of luck
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Treespain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
Haha thanks for all the great advice! Ill post again soon.
-Travis

Offline JBridegroom22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
I have a friend who I'm trying to get into archery. I told him to get a #45 sage to start with. I've only been shooting 2 years and I started with a #40 longbow. Best decision I could have made. I just saw a sage bowfishing kit. I think I am going to get it next year. One for a bowfishing bow so I don't damage another bow and two because they look pretty nice and get great reviews. Best of luck.
Josh

Offline Treespain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
Thanks ill let yall know how it goes as soon as its in hand! I just found out that my friends family has 3 or 4 of them solely for bowfishing.
-travis

Offline ClintonG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 06:31:00 PM »
I have to agree with what just about everyone above has said.  I would NOT recommend starting with such a heavy Trad bow.  I shoot near 80 pounds with a compound all day comfortably as well.  My 55 pound ACS longbow feels much heavier and I have been shooting traditional for a few years.  I have no where near the experience these other guys do but I am a relatively recent Traditional convert myself so I can tell you for certain you won't be happy with a 60 pound recurve as a starter traditional bow.  It just won't be ANY fun and that is after all what this is all about!  Good luck to you.
Integrity first....NO exceptions!

Seek the Lord FIRST and you shall not fail!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©