3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: An epic Texas hunt...  (Read 427 times)

Offline chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
An epic Texas hunt...
« on: October 18, 2013, 03:24:00 PM »
More than two weeks into our season I haven’t had as many opportunities to go hunting as I’m accustomed to, but yesterday afternoon I looked around at the mammoth amount of work to do in my office and concluded it would be waiting upon my return; I left happy about my decision.  My Dad had gone hunting Wednesday night, and seen many deer, along with a few mature bucks, one of which has eluded us for several years.  

The wind was switching on me as I stood at the truck getting ready to walk to my spot.  I wouldn’t be able to go to my first choice, but it would be perfect for a six foot tripod we have placed between two small food plots in a clump of big oaks, cedar and persimmons.  The Texas hill country is pumping right now with new and vigorous growth as a result of recent rains.  It’s been very dry, but a few weeks ago we received a good rain that filled our stock tanks.  This softened the earth, and the black dirt turned beautifully behind the tractor, my little girl rode with me while we planted three fall food plots.  My four year old, Ava Jane, revealed that the cab of a John Deere has adequate space to accommodate a fully furnished pink kitchenette…

It seems for every inch of rain fallen so the oats have grown.  I saw first the flicker of an ear through the foliage, a few deer meandering around the field lazily, like fat orange house cats.  The wind was slightly cool, and just enough to fill the ears of the animals.  The cooler weather, it seems, had displaced the mosquitoes; uninvited attendants at my last hunt; heathen cannibals capable of piercing not one, but two shirts.  

First to come in were four does, large healthy animals.  It’s wonderful to see them look so nourished and vibrant.  These does were attentive to where they had come from, and soon I saw why.  Two young eight point bucks were not far behind, outstanding looking deer, with the confidence of youth.  These deer the archetype of the buck that you want to see next year… but where do they go?  

The does fed while the bucks rubbed their faces against the low dipping branches of the oaks, and started to make new scrapes beneath them.  I was in my sublime place on the pendulum of His creation; the middle of a conversation between an owl to my east and another to my west, where the blood red sun had left the similarly stained sky.

This, I thought, was the kind of Texas evening John Grady Cole and Lacey Rawlins rode into, the kind of vivid sky they camped beneath.  Bats from the not-too-far-away railroad tunnel were starting to hunt as well.  It was starting to seem as if they might be the night’s only successful hunters.  The moon, nearly full, had cleared the treetops staring at me giant and perfect and replacing the sun; summoning the pranksters of the night…

The deer, a nanosecond ago submerged in peace, looked in disgust at the approaching pigs the way the women that shop at Neiman’s look at a Stein Mart.  Deer were a lifetime ago, it seemed, and before me were nocturnal vandals come early; a half dozen juvenile, black as coal, unruly animals.  They were as welcome as Cousin Eddie, and his countless spawn.  I was hoping for the seven and a half year old buck that frequents my trail cam, and haunts my dreams, now here these feral heathens stood.

If I was going to shoot, I would have to shoot soon.  Light was being consumed in great bites, and the pigs were starting to look like construction paper silhouettes.  Pigs are very challenging to shoot, even in ideal conditions.  Their internal amp is always turned up to 11; as if they drink from a spring of energy juice hidden deep in the woods that the FDA might ban for inducing heart arrhythmia.  It seems they’re controlled by an amateur puppeteer.  Every one of them incessantly attempting to eat whatever before the other on their way to wherever; and this is their life’s work… congressman on cloven hoof.  

No pig was more desirable than any other, all of them about eighty pounds, siblings.  The boar I’d selected, as he was the closest, was just beneath me no more than 8 or 9 yards.  As light was so spare at this point I stayed anchored for what seemed a long time zoning on my spot, and then the arrow was gone, followed by the awesome sound of the broadhead meeting bone on its attempt to leave the engine room of the animal.  An initial jolt was followed by a labored run out of view.  They dispersed in every direction like baitfish away from a stone, and I could hear their heavy breathing, winded after the anxiety, and short sprint into the dark.  I saw my pig once more in a lumbering heavy jog, and then he was gone again.  I began to wonder if my shot was placed as well as I initially believed.  I had stretched available shooting light to its limit, and decided it best to wait a half hour before tracking.  

Where the pig had stood earlier there was now a drop of blood, and then another.  Now ten yards into my pursuit I was crawling through agarita and young cedars; the blood was starting to pour.  My Father’s dog would be sitting proudly atop tomorrow’s tamales, but he was not here now.  I didn’t feel I’d need to call on him either, as I could see blood as far as my flashlight would shine.  There was my arrow, fully intact, immersed in red with the exception of the fletching.  Perfect.  I can rinse it off, sharpen my broadhead, and hunt with it again.  I had followed the trail of blood now fifty yards, and where my arrow had dropped from the animal it seemed the blood had decided to stop that practice.  I stuck it into the dirt at the last of the blood and circled.  Another drop, and in the suggested direction of the trail I’d come.  I squatted down to look for a minute at my surroundings and see if another clue would reveal itself.  My sweeping flashlight met the reflective curious eyes of the animals of the night, raccoons, a rabbit.  A congregation of coyotes began yapping near the creek.  A night made for their kind.  I enjoy their cacophonous racket.  It occurred to me that they would eat well in a few hours if I didn’t find the young boar, when just feet from where I stood the light fell upon the still black animal.  We were perhaps sixty yards from where this all began.  The arrow had gone home.  While hunting I ask God to carry my arrow through the heart of the beast.  He did!

Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: An epic Texas hunt...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
Wow! Congrats and nice story telling!!
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by goldflinger:
Wow! Congrats and nice story telling!!
x2! Congrats!  :thumbsup:

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
What a great story and congrats on the bacon!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »
Excellent!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
great evening for sure.
is it September yet??

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
Awesome write up! If you have a bat tunnel near you, you must be hunting close to Lukenbach or Fredericksburg?

Congrats on a great hog!

Bisch

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
Congratulations on a very healthy looking pig. That's a good looking bow,what kind is it?

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
A tale well told; enjoyed your writing.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
good story telling! bravo!

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
Great job and well done on the story telling!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 10:14:00 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words.  

You're right Bisch.  I hunt Cherry Springs out 87N from Fredericksburg.  You turn off the highway just before the dance hall Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, and George Jones all played when they were touring on their way up.  My Mother's twin Uncles, James and David, took their girlfriends to see some guy named Elvis when he came through.  Needless to say the girls went nuts.   James and David were boiling over with jealousy, threw bottles at the stage between songs, and told Elvis he'd never make it.

Alexander; the bow is my 62" Liberty Edge.  I've had it since January, and couldn't be more pleased.
Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
Great writing and congrats on the hog!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 10:40:00 AM »
:clapper:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
:archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
A tale well told; enjoyed your writing.
X2 and congrats on the pork!!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
great read. you should consider writing something more lengthy. really enjoyed it.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Great Hunt. Congrats!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 06:07:00 AM »
loved the story and nice bacon on the ground!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 06:22:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  Great story.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©