3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Guy Coming Full Circle  (Read 216 times)

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
New Guy Coming Full Circle
« on: October 18, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
When I say new I mean old new or new old or whatever but I started archery when I was a kid, meaning five or six as far as I can remember.  My father and my uncle hunted archery and shot target archery in the early to mid 70's after they came home from the war and got married.  I would tag along with them and my cousin as they shot their recurves, my dad a Tamerlane and my uncle a Kodiak.  I still have my dad's Tamerlane, its a lefty so it doesnt get any use.  Anyway, I would get to take my little fiberglass kid bow and wood arrows with plastic vanes and tin points and have fun just trying to get them to stick in the targets.  I learned to shoot that little bow eventually.  And I got a bigger one and shot that well into my teens.  Then my parents bought me a Bear Whitetail compound for Christmas one year, I was 14 I think.  I shot that instinctively but never killed a deer or anything else for that matter with a bow until I was about 26 years old.  By that time I was full blown into the latest compounds and since then I have killed quite a few nice deer with a bow.  It is a great feeling letting an arrow fly and watching it arc though the air, almost like magic.   These days, Im shooting a crossbow too.  My father died a couple years ago, Im in the Navy and was living in an apartment with no place to practice anymore and paying $10+ an hour to shoot field points at 20 yards wouldnt cut it, so a cross bow seemed to make sense to me.  I have killed a few nice deer with the cross bow too.

A few weeks ago, I watched a youtube video of some guys hunting with recurves and taking a nice doe.  It was awesome.  Then, I was home to visit and I have stored almost all my stuff at my brothers house since I PCS'd here to DC, and was making a quick inventory and fiddling with things and came across my Dads Tamerlane, as well as a Wing recurve that was my grandfathers.  It hit me hard.  I felt like a little kid again.  The back yard, hay bales, feathers and fingers.  I could see the arrows flying.  I knew I had to get back to a single string and simple feathered sticks.  

Last week I found a good deal on a 50# Bear Montana LB.  I have always liked them when I would see them on the rack at the big box stores but didnt want to spend the cash.  So here I am, an old archer with a new interest in the basic traditional style of hunting with a bow.  And what is even better, my wife wants to learn too!

I know this is a long intro but I wanted to let everyone know where I am coming from.  I have a good knowledge of shooting instinctively, I hurled rocks from slingshots for squirrels long after I was old enough to use a rimfire.  I was a good shot with every bow I ever drew.  So my questions are basic, yet not so novice.

Im looking for arrows.  My draw is 30".  Thats on a compound with a loop.  I measured myself at 29" with the LB.  I want to shoot carbon arrows.  Im thinking a spine of 500 and 31 inches long with 150 points.  Five inch shield cut feathers on a helix.  I have everything to fletch and cut them myself so I just need shafts.  Beman ICS 500s?  Braodheads.  I have a bunch of the old Bear Razorheads but they are bent up and just kept for sentimental reasons since they were my dads.   Im thinking Zwickey Eskimos?  

Practice, yes!  I live in a house on base and there is a base archery range so Im back in the mix of vertical bows.

My ultimate goal is to stalk a whitetail in winter in a snow storm in a thicket I have on the family property.  Dont think I will have my skills polished good enough to do it this winter but I am hoping that next year I can give it a whirl.

Anyway, thats my long winded intro.  Glad to be here, looks like a great site!

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Guy Coming Full Circle
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
Glad your here. I'll let someone else help with the arrows.
And thanks for your service.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
First, Thank you for your serice!
Don't sell yourself short V. I just got my first stick bow in June, and can now keep a group of five on the paper plate at 17 yds. With your background, given practice, you could be eating your own venison in 2014!
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Awesome story and restart of a great journey!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 10:59:00 PM »
:campfire:  Welcome
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 06:02:00 AM »
You have discovered what many, if not most, of us have experienced.  The pure unadultered joy of shooting a traditional bow is magical.  Enjoy it!

As for the arrows, I am not an expert by any means, and hopefully some that are better with that will be around shortly.  But I'm thinking something closer to a 400 spine would fit your specs pretty well.  

You might need to play with different point weights and/or cutting the arrows a different length to fine tune them.  But I wouldn't get too hung up on the fine tuning part just yet - that will come in time.  For now, get something close, start shooting and having fun!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 06:45:00 AM »
Welcome!  I hope you find the enjoyment and friendship that is such a part of this site and traditional archery.  :archer:

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
Welcome! good to  have you here!

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »
Look at Stus spine calculator on this site and it will get you a good start on arrows.  The zickeys are fine as are magnus and others.  I like two blade cut on contact broadheads.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »
Our story is almost the same! I started out with a recurve and hunted with a mid 70's Kodiak Hunter as a teen(one of the green ones). Got away from it once I went to college and ended up parting ways with it. Wouldn't mid another one but think I want one a little older if I'd get one. Anyways; I bought a little land 20 years or so ago and got back into it with the compounds. Went through several of them as the technology improved. This year I noticed I wasn't as interested in it as before and later on in the summer I became interested in the idea of going back to a recurve; talked to some of the traditional shooters at the club and I decided since I was on a nostalgia trip anyways I would pick up a 45# 70's vintage Bear recurve of some kind. Ended up with a 70-72 vintage Grizzly. I'm all set up and ready to go, as soon as archery season is over I'm hanging up the wheel bow and going to work exclusively with the Grizzly. I'm have these urges to pick up a 60's or early 70's (pre-green)Super K, a K Mag etc........this isn't good! I decide to shoot aluminum arrows with 5" feathers. Don't think 500's are going to work for you. I don't think I'd go any less than 400's. If they give you problems then you could back off your points to 125's.
SWA Spyder

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
Hey Valkyrie, welcome! I'm moving to Ft. Meade )about 30 min from DC) in January we should meet up and shoot. At your draw length you will probably need .500 spine arrow with those 150 grain heads.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
Just something to think about with your "restart"...there are a number of us on here who shoot both right handed and left handed...string up that Tamerlane and put it to work...I bet you will find you shoot it better than you think...worst case scenario is you shoot it to help balance your muscle development at close, big targets

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 06:42:00 PM »
Welcome! I think your setup sounds pretty close. Those .500s are a great shaft. Get a variety of point weights and start full-length. Bare-shaft testing will get you in the ball park quickly.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©