3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: promise of a new day....just had LASIK,etc.  (Read 1331 times)

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
promise of a new day....just had LASIK,etc.
« on: January 20, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
well...got tired of glasses getting dirty, and foggin up and struggling with contacts in the the dark, etc and decided on Custom LASIK eye surgery.  the price is pretty steep (over 5 grand), so the hunting trips planned are now on the back burner...but I believe worth every penny!

had the surgery thursday around 4:30, and woke up friday morning with 20/20 vision.   the process is weird, but the results are awesome.   anyway...the suspense was killing me...."what would it do to my shooting?"   I couldn't wait and snuck out to the garage for a couple shots and felt great at less than 10 yards.  so out we go to the back yard range, and the first five carbons outta the recurve are in 'the 8' at 20 yards.   not a fantastic group, but for no warm up, frigid temps, and some tentative shooting....I'll take it.....

now for the promise of the new day....this time last year I was wallowing in self doubt having missed a bunch and suffering a 5 year drought, I bought a wheelie bow.  flip-flopped throughout the 06 season...but just couldn't stand luggin that thing out to the stand!  made up my mind in october, and committed to practice at least 3 times a week wth the tradbows, and if it had to be in the dark under the lights of my driveway/garage, so be it.  I stuck too it, and was very comfortable out to 18-20  by late november with both my takedown longbow and my new recurve.  so I hunted with the curve through 12/31.  alas, no deer but i felt like I was hunting again....

lately been shooting 25-30 yards and getting pretty comfortable with that....and with that in mind, and the fact that the compound only buys me about 10 addition yards (I wont shoot longer than 30 at an animal...too much to go wrong in the time an arrow travels beyond that)...I resolved to  ditch the crutch and I put the compound up on ebay yesterday.  I'm back to being a stickbow elitist again   :)  

just like ol' mac.....I have returned!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: promise of a new day....just had LASIK,etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
It's a good thing they stoped at 20/20 or you might see to much.
 Good luck with the new outlook on life thru thoe re-built eyes.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 05:38:00 PM »
hickstick....
Congrats on your new "Outlook" on life.
On the 23rd I go in to start the process of having a Cataract removed from my right eye, and hopefuly after to have the Lasik also....
This gives me hope....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
thanks guys...there were other 'deciding factors' involved than just my shooting and the struggles with glasses & contacts.  My 3.5 yo daughter plays like I do, full bore, nothing gonna stop her....and 3 pairs of specs in the last year have fallen...

plus I play ice hockey too, and am tired of flushing the sweat outta my contacts...

good luck mike.  should make it easier to shoot those beavers huh?

the hunting trips aren't totally outta the question either.  I'm gonna give a go at forging out 10 ot 15 knives this winter and put them up for sale either here or ebay to help fund a jaunt to 'where the deer are..'

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
I'm strongly considering looking into it.  I'm less than an hour from Canada, and it's cheaper up there...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline FOX SQUIRREL NUTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 07:24:00 PM »
Good luck hick stick.  The halo's will clear up and the world will open its beauty to you.  I never knew what I was missing until I awoke from surgery.  HUGE difference especially in the golf game.  Get a good pair of sun glasses to protect that investment.

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Mike,  I had cataracts removed from both eyes in October.  It is truly a blessing.  I new my eyes had worsened the past few years but never realized how much.  One of the first things I noticed was how vivid colors were.  I also could not believe how much it helped my shooting---it was almost like starting over however because my depth of perception changed.

Good luck,
Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
Heard great things about the new surgery good luck and good shooting!!

Offline Ol Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 08:26:00 AM »
Had mine done over 5 years ago - best thing I ever did.  I went from bi-focals to 15/30 vision. Have amazing long range vision now..  Really happy for you- the settling of your vision will continue for a while and may even become better.

Doug
Getting older I tend to talk to myself but, at least I know that I am as smart as the one I am talking to.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
Good for you Marc, I had it done about 4 years ago here in NH, without a doubt best thing I have ever done for my eyes.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
I was tinking about getting done also. Just had to start wearing glasses about 3 years ago. I hate it! But at 5K it will be awile before this boy will be able to see without glasses.<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Steve in Canton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 10:17:00 AM »
My wife had it done on Friday.  when she went on Saturday for her checkup the doctor told her her vision was 20/15. My eyesite unfortunitly is to bad for lasik. I am a canidate to have the perminate contact lens put in and will probably have that done sometime this year.
By the way stikshooter look around at different places to have the surgery.  It cost my wife around 2500 to have both eyes done.

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
frank...how close are you to canada?   its much cheaper over the border.  

then funniest thing was...when I went to pull those arrows from the mackensie....there were deer tracks in the thin layer of snow all over the place in my back yard...I live on the edge of a small woodlot in the middle in a very residential area.  I nearly shot a doe about 100 yards from my yard earlier in the year, and that was the last deer I saw in the woods...good to know their still around.   :)

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
YOU GOTTA LOVE THIS!!!!!!

I can't believe the detail I'm seeing already.  when you guys talk about picking out a single hair to shoot at...you really mean it !!!!!

I had my first good shooting session last night around 10pm  (in the snow).  shooting from my driveway into the garage at 15 yards, 2 successive 5 arrow, 5 inch groups.  I was actually picking out the frayed edges of previous holes in my bag target to shoot at.   this is freakin awesome!!!!!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Going on 7 years next month. Stay up on your eye drops and stuff. It's the only set of eyes you got!
Got wood? - Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©