3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Really bad shoulder pain.  (Read 410 times)

Offline The-Talon

• Trad Bowhunter
Really bad shoulder pain.
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:10:00 PM »
Okay so I think I overdid the roving thing yesterday.. Me and my friend who I just got into traditional archery and hunting were out all day shooting stumps.. for a total we should for probably 5 hours straight.. now I can hardly lift my right arm as I'm typing this.. It's bad. Has anyone else experienced injuries like this what's my best course of action is something wrong with my form or did I just over do it and need to to a break for a couple weeks ..  :(    :(
Mother Nature is my religion. Tooth fang and claw.

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Really bad shoulder pain.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
I find my shoulder pains only when I do the swing draw style shooting. But if I point bow and arrow at target then draw back to anchor and release it is all good. Ken
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline The-Talon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
Hmm I wonder what it could be..

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 07:57:00 PM »
Ice it and rest and hope you didn't tear anyting. Go easy for awhile.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
Do not shoot till that pain goes away. If you have a lower poundage bow start again with that one. I hope you didn't tear anything as well. If you don't let it heal it can hound you for a long time.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 09:06:00 PM »
I had this happen to me last year, I ended up with a season full of frustration on stand. I was shooting high every time on stand, I missed a nice buck at 12 yards 15yds and then again at 20yrds then he turned and pointed his middle hoof at me and said, is that all you got, then he just walked away. I thought my archery hunting was over, thinking I blew a rotator cuff. I took a break for six months. Im shooting again and better than ever, I believe for me I was shooting to much about 1 to 1 ½ hours a day. Now I shoot a dozen or so arrows a day. Like Nascar drivers say, slow down to go faster. It been working for me.  :thumbsup:  

Bruce
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 12:20:00 AM »
Icing works wonders-I freeze a dixie cup full of water and rub the sore area. You could have anything from over use to torn rotator cuff.
Don't look to us for any medical advice go see a Chiropractor or sports medicine doc if it does not improve in a day or two. Ice and moderation is a big help.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 03:55:00 AM »
if you did tear something it may NOT heal (rotator cuff!)  I had the same issue, couldn't lift my arm straight out.   Like bjorn said it could be something as simple as over use, or something as bad as a torn RC.  I'd get it checked!  

I've got a partial tear, took a number of years for the pain to fully go away.   I still feel it from time to time however.  Jacked mine up riding a mt bike...wait, jacked mine up CRASHING a mt bike ha ha!

Offline The-Talon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
Sitting in the doctors office now wish me luck   :)     :)   it's worse then It was yesterday I can't lift my right arm almost at all   :(   I hope this isn't the end of my favourite thing in the world ..

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Good luck, do what your Dr. suggests. If he allows you to keep shooting you may have to drop down in bow weight.
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
You probably just over did it, maybe even small tears in the muscle. If no swelling apply heat, heat will increase blood flow, thus increase oxygen to the muscle to begin the healing process.

If swollen ice it and take ibuprofen for inflammation - unless you are allergic of course. Once swelling goes down apply heat.

If pain present more than 3 days, go see your doctor.
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
opps - your at the doctor now. Good luck!
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
I had that problem with my Bow arm.  Turned out to be a frozen shoulder.  I had to cancel a hunt because of it.  The doctor told me its rare in men but not so with women.  Guess my touchy feely feminine side was showing.

I had to do PT and get a steroid shot.

Offline The-Talon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 01:57:00 PM »
Hope I don't have to drop bow weight just bought 2 dozen arrows for my bow specifically !!  :(  it's brutal but my health is more important ( I guess ) haha.

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
I had an injury happen from overuse once. I was really trying to get ready for the season in a hurry and shot about 250+ arrows out of my 65 pound long bow. The next morning I could hardly raise my arm. It turns out I had a small tear in the posterior side of my shoulder muscle. Ice and a 3 month break from shooting did the trick, but I missed a season of deer hunting. Now I limit myself to no more than 100 arrows at a time, which really means 150 or so since I am very bad about limits, and created a lifting workout that I do 3 times a week and have not had an issue since.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
Shoulders can sustain over use injuries pretty easily - two surgeries on mine, it can get better, but really listen to your Doc.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
I overdid it once on my bow arm. I was shooting way too much. I got bicep tendonitis. I should have let it heal but kept shooting. It took about 5 years to get over it. It hurt right on the point of my shoulder. It would throb at night. Naproxen sodium was my friend for a while till' it started hurting my stomach. It would have just been better to let it heal at the start. Gary

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 02:57:00 AM »
When I have a sore shoulder or elbow from shooting, I do push-ups every morning. My pains vanish as snow for the sun. Start slow, begin with only a few and work your way up with one more every time. If it is too difficult for you or  when you are un-trained, start with sitting on your knees.
I do 25 now, without too many problems. Take a day rest beween, so one morning push-ups, next morning rest, next morning push- ups again.
It did miracles for me and it cost you only one minute per day!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline The-Talon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »
Thanks guys!! X rays are today.. doctor scared me yesterday and thinks its my rotator cuff.. But I feel like if I actually did tear something I would have felt it at the time.. I think it's just inflammation from overuse.. I can move it a bit more today but we'll see what the X Rays have to say.. ! Glad to see I'm not the only one..

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
I second the push ups I messed up my shoulder last fall two months before I could shoot again. Not 100% but close now almost a year later. I started doing pushups and shooting one day next day off. So far so good. Now during season I just shoot a couple days a week and stump shoot to and from hunting area. Good luck.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©