3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Switching Bows---Frequency?  (Read 572 times)

Offline Cryogenic

• Trad Bowhunter
Switching Bows---Frequency?
« on: October 20, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
How often do you all switch bows?  I tend to shoot 3 bows consistently; grabbing one one day and another the next depending on my mood, preference, and maybe the phase of the move.  After a set of 6 arrows or so I seem to settle in fine, but I am curious..... is changing bows frequently a bad thing?

Matt

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switching Bows---Frequency?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
No, a good archer should have no problems switching between bows.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
I switch between an ILF recurve and Hil bows all the time...no problems at all
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
I have switched like mad since I started shooting traditional archery a couple years ago. I guess I love them all. I started shooting just one bow for the last few months, I think I am shooting better than ever.

I would show up at a 3D shoot and shoot every class that I could, sometimes 3 classes in one weekend. Now days it will be one bow, one class, for now anyways  :)

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 02:12:00 AM »
I do switch around alot.I enjoy the variety.I love and enjoy many styles of bows for thier aesthetic qualities and utilitarian purposes.I usually shoot my main hunting bow almost exclusivley once I get serious about hunting.

I do feel I am overall more accurrate when I am just concentrating on one bow and get used to the nuances of that bow.How the grip feels,how it wants to be held in my hand,the feel of the draw and release and other little things.Also the trejectory of the bow with the arrows I am using out of that particular bow.Repetition after repetition grooves things in better IMO when you just shoot one bow.At least for me it does.

Most the year I do play around with all my bows though here and thier for fun.But when its time to get serious about very consistant shooting one pet bow is best for me I have found.

I think I shot best back when I only had 1 or 2 bows and they were like extensions of myself.Ofcourse you gotta love that bow and its gotta fit you!

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 02:28:00 AM »
I like to switch back and forth. I have three that are about the same poundage and they shoot pretty much the same. I have others that All it takes is a few arrows to remember how they shoot.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline William F. Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »
I alternate:

- right-handed w/a Bear Custom Kodiak T/D w/ glove
 - left-handed w/ a Kaya KTB w/ a thumb ring

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
I switch bows all the time,I could go all summer to 3D shoots and shoot a different bow each week all summer.I feel with good form and matched equipment you should have no trouble switching bows.I have shot six Robin Hood's from six different bows at 20-22 yds from 45# to 63# bows.

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
When I was a teen, and had a "stable" of stick bows I switched them more often than I should.  But now I'm waiting for one bow that is in route (Z Giveaway...I couldn't feel luckier if I hit PowerBall).  Now I will have one bow, and I believe that I will be an even better archer than I used to be.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
I'm not a great shot ( lucky but not great) and have 2 favourite Bow Brands , however when hunting season is near I pick one for the whole season and i refuse to try anyone else's Bow or let anyone shoot mine at that time.  :dunno:

Offline Cryogenic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
Well, it's good to hear that I can feel free to enjoy all my bows.

Thanks all!

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by SERGIO VENNERI:
I'm not a great shot ( lucky but not great) and have 2 favourite Bow Brands , however when hunting season is near I pick one for the whole season and i refuse to try anyone else's Bow or let anyone shoot mine at that time.   :dunno:  
pretty well the same here, i like messin around during the summer shooting diffrent bows, but around September I pick a bow and stick with it untill I have killed a few or the season is over then I may switch to a longbow for th erest of the season..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
I'd say it depends. Test yourself and see if switching makes any difference. Each morning, with a different bow, take a cold shot, no warm up. Do they all hit pretty close to your aiming point? Would they be acceptable shots on a deer? If you can hit your spot with any of them, then, sure, go ahead and use them. If not, it would probably be wise to stick with the bows you're best with during the hunting season.

Personally, I don't switch much during the hunting season.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 09:13:00 PM »
I guess I am in a minority. I shoot one bow and could not switch if I tried. Been shooting the same Black Widow bow for 17 years. Wish I could though.

Offline Archer1019

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
I don't think changing bows is a bad thing. I've got a few that I rotate through. However, I ask myself from a practical standpoint why I switch. For me, I'd like to narrow it down to one but each bow has an attribute I like. Just need to find one that encompasses them all!
..believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved.. Acts 16:31

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
I switch bows annually - or sometimes not.  I think I went 10 straight with my Dream Catcher and that was a record fo me.   After big-game season I shoot many for small game.  By June I will pick one and that is the ONLY bow I shoot [and I try to shoot every day] until big-game season ends.  I want my brain tuned to one bow when a deer is on the line.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 05:00:00 AM »
Matt,
  I think it was Gene Wensel in a debate with Barry who quipped that he "wasn't married to a bow" and so liked to "play the field."
  I'm of that mindset too but I do tend to stick with a bow for each whitetail season. The exception might be  to go to a lighter draw weight bow when it gets really cold.
                          Enjoy em all,
                               Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
Throughout the year I switch every few days but pick one and stay with it about a month before deer season. Then, I sometimes switch half way through the season.

I just switched from my Abbott longbow to my Brackenbury recurve last weekend. I took a few dozen shots on my range to reprogram my brain and now I'm good to go.

I could never switch without a good afternoon shooting session.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 11:26:00 AM »
I like to switch between two or three bows (two being what I have at the moment).  I like having a heavier bow to build strength, a lighter one to improve form.  Just sold my lightest because it was almost too light for me to want to hunt with, looking to replace it by getting one 3-4 pounds up on my heaviest drawing bow.  It's nice to have some variation in length, too, depending on how I plan to hunt.  This Fall I've been hunting with just one of them, but switch off for practicing.
Jim

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
I am in a different camp.  Like many of you, I have shot a ton of different bows and switched alot in the past.  Classifieds used to be the "devil" for me.  I was searching for a solution to my shooting woes and trying to find it in a different bow.  Fell into that recently again, and have come to an acceptance of some things about myself as an archer.  

I really believe that you are better off for your muscle and psychological memory to perform the task of a shot, to shoot only one bow.  I think a back-up should be as close as possible in design and bow weight to the primary.  

When you are in a "pressure cooker" situation of shooting at a game animal, you need the advantage of the response to the situation to be as automatic as possible.  Your brain needs only the one reference of the repetition without changing a major variable.  If you are going to change, I would suggest doing that at the beginning of the year, way before hunting season.  Each bow has subtle differences.

You can shoot well with switching around, I have seen guys do it, i have done it in the past.  I believe guys that shoot great know that one bow, and where it shoots, and do not cloud the mind with anything else.
Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©