3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HIll style vs. R/D longbow performance ?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
HIll style vs. R/D longbow performance ?
« on: October 21, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
I know there area lot of variables, but generally speaking, do Hill style longbows have the same performance as r/d longbows, everything else being equal, I.e. dw, dl, arrow weight etc.

If not, how much difference would there be. For instance, in order to match the performance of a typical 45# r/d longbow, what weight Hill style would you need?

Or, maybe they are equal, just trying to get a comparison.

Thank
Toby
TOBY

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HIll style vs. R/D longbow performance ?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
I have not run my R/D bow through a chronograph yet but having owned both styles of bow mentioned just from observation, I feel that the R/D is faster and hits harder. I think the design of the limbs allow it to store more energy than the hill style bow. That isn't much help but just what I have noticed.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 11:10:00 AM »
For your 45 pound R/D to a Hill style it is important to know what R/D you have, compared to what Hill style you wish to match it with.  I have a Hill style that is as fast or faster than alot of R/D bows. On the other side I have a Robertson Pierce Point Quest that is faster than a lot of Hill style bows that are 10 pounds stiffer.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
Here's a link to help you figure it out:  http://www.acsbows.com/bowperformance.html

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »
I concur with Pavan. I have owned both from various makers but I can say that my JD berry straightlimbed (Hill style) bows keep up with every mild d/r bow I have shot or owned, I'm not sure about the aggressive hybrids as I've never owned one.  But my 50lb Morningstar shoots a 460grain arrow at roughly 183 FPS. That's good performance from at straightlimbed longbow in my book.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 01:36:00 PM »
It can be a lot or a little as others have intimated. People who shoot Hill bows generally don't have an interest in chronos.
If you have a bow that you love don't chrono it!!   :banghead:    :banghead:

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »
All of my bows are either Hill-style or R/D longbows.  My R/D bows outperform my Hill-style bows. I'm sure it depends on the bows, but I would guess that my Big River R/D bow, for example at 51# @ 28" would have similar speed to a Big River Hill-style 55-56#.  And I own both bows.

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
I am not really interested in speed numbers, but have some interest in Hill style bows and want to make sure I enough performance for the game I hunt. I don't feel comfortable pulling much over 45#'s..
TOBY

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 03:03:00 PM »
If you are hunting deer, a 45# Hill style with good arrow flight is more than sufficient. Lots of critters have fallen to lesser bows.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
You'll be fine. Boatloads of deer, hogs, elk, moose, black bear, and just about every other critter worth eating have been taken with 45# Hill style bows. Use a heavy arrow (10-12 grains per pound) and a razor sharp cut on contact broadhead and have at it.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 03:14:00 PM »
Toby, when you do a performance check, be sure you are comparing equal weight arrows. Also, consider accuracy as a part of the performance equation. For example, if you can shoot a r/d longbow as accurately at 20 yards as you can a Hill style at 10 yards ( or vice versa), will that make a "performance" difference to you? Regardless of speed?

Another aspect for me is how does the bow make me feel. I got a start in traditional 30 years ago because of a fascination with Hill style bows and back quivers. Between then and now I've just about completely run the gamut of traditional bow types and compounds (never have shot a crossbow). At this point in time I just really want to get back to that first love. I'll be after blacktails with a Hill bow this November. I'm not as good with them, so I'll have to get real close before I can take a shot.  May very well go empty handed, but I'm okay with that. In that regard the Hill bow will be performing exactly as I need it to.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
Pavan pretty much 'splained it.

A good Hill bow will run with most mild R/D bows, but a good mild R/D will be hard to catch.

Eric

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
Speed only kills if you hit your target.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
The are many facets of a good performing bow for a given archer.  Each of us has a specific quality of a bow that is appealing or we just like.  Speed is part of that, performance is also putting the arrow where it needs to go.  How accurate would the combo of a given bow and an archer be if he shot the same bow for say 50 years?  

In general, a straight thick limbed Hill style bow is going to be slower than a more hybrid or recurve design.  The curve or R/D has a cam built into the limb.  Is that difference in speed so important to loose other shooting qualities.  There is always a trade off.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
"There is always a trade off" agree with this for sure. Ive been at it for 25 years. I am currently shooting one of Ken Rohloffs Whippenstick Longbows. This is the only exception to that rule Ive ever seen.   BILL

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
I have heard nothing but great things about the whippenstick.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
I concur with Pavan. I have owned both from various makers but I can say that my JD berry straightlimbed (Hill style) bows keep up with every mild d/r bow I have shot or owned, I'm not sure about the aggressive hybrids as I've never owned one.  But my 50lb Morningstar shoots a 460grain arrow at roughly 183 FPS. That's good performance from at straightlimbed longbow in my book.
I have to strongly agree!  but I cannot prove it with my setup because I do not have a chrono. I do have normal R/D bows here and the performance in my eyes is no difference but even seems faster than my baraga.  

the JD Berry hill style seems to be more consistant than the other reflex/deflex bows I have where if I'm shooting sloppy it still hits my average but if I'm spot on with my form it still hits that average,,,once arrow tuned and set up the arrows simply go where you want unless your physically doing something wrong.

with my baraga if my form stinks that day my arrows are all over the place,, and if my form is perfect the bow will shoot perfect,, its not as consistant as the hill style berry.

so much can be related to speed though,,, someone told me arrows fletched with a Jo-Jan are slower than arrows fletched with a Bitz depending on the clamp set-up, strings, silencers, release-deep or shallow hook?, I'd seriously opt for the bow that just feels and shoots good.
"Us vs Them"

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
I'm going off the trend here but if you are shooting a heavy hunting arrow I don't believe the R/D bows can come close.  My son shoots Hill's and I have R/D bows of exactly the same weight as well as recurves and none of my bows can throw a heavy arrow as fast & hard as his bows.  Now I will qualify this by saying if your shooting little bows and trying to get speed out of them I have no experience there.  I'm strictly talking moderate weight hunting bows in the 70-80# area with arrows 750 to 1000 grains.

Offline toby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
70-80#'s is a lot more weight than I can manage.

And, it's not that I am concerned with speed, performance would have been a better word.

I am not doubting anyone's experience, I just don't understand how a Hill bow can shoot a heavier arrow faster than an r/d bow and yet that same r/d bow can shoot a lighter arrow faster than a Hill.

I find all of this very interesting, and am just trying to learn more about all types of bows.
TOBY

Offline False Cast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
Draw length plays a HUGE factor in determining whether or not your bow produces acceptable energy for an ethical harvest of your quarry. 45# @ a true 30" draw length throws an arrow (of the same weight) SIGNIFICANTLY faster than a 45# @ 26" draw length.

It amazes me when so many archers say "XX pounds is enough" without ever considering draw length!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©