3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Eclipse bh help  (Read 439 times)

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Eclipse bh help
« on: October 21, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
Is there any way to get the wider Eclipse 4 blade up to 175-185 grains? I like the Grizzly 185's I got, thinking about saving them for elk for penetration purposes. Really like the looks of the Ace Super Express/Eclipse profile just would like a 2 blade w/bleeders. Plus I would like as good of a blood trail as I can get, don't have to worry about penetration issues on deer/antelope sized game
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Eclipse bh help
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
So you are using them as a glue-on then with no adapter?
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »
Correct, I shoot wood arrows...on a side note-I am continuously impressed w/ how quiet the wood arrows are, even though they are almost 200 grains lighter than the carbons I was shooting.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
I may just go with the Zwickey Delta 4 blade, the smallest woody weight is 75 grains, I'm hoping with sharpening they will get down to 185 or so which is what I shoot now. I should also probably try some heavier field points out to see if I could get away w/ the heavier head.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Jacob...You could easily just melt some lead shot from a shotgun shell and drop in the broadhead ferrule. You should easily have enough room for 30 grains and still have room for you full taper of your arrow to fit in.  Another option might be drill the tip of your arrow and put a small screw in that weighs about 30 grains. That would allow you to remove the screw if you wanted to change broadhead weight....just a thought

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »
It takes a surprising amount of lead to get 30 grains and ends up leaving you with a pretty short taper on your shaft, which affects strength and alignment.  I've drilled the shaft and inserted 1/8" lead wire; it weighs 35 grains per inch.  That works quite well, but is a PITA.  I used a jig in a drill press and found 2 inches to be the max practical limit for me.  There is a drill guide available, but it is less accurate than the press.

Let me know if you want some lead wire to play with, I have more than I'll ever use.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by DarkTimber:
Jacob...You could easily just melt some lead shot from a shotgun shell and drop in the broadhead ferrule. You should easily have enough room for 30 grains and still have room for you full taper of your arrow to fit in.
this is the way we did it when not everyone had 200gr broadheads.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
I'll try the shotshell deal, or split shot. Torch should get the job done I would think. Should I let the lead dry completely before trying to mount the head on the shaft?

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
I made a really simple jig for drilling the end of the shaft and inserting a nail to gain weight. If you are interested I will try to post some pics.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have any tools-my wife and I moved to Bozeman and all the tools I used were my dad's

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 06:18:00 PM »
You will not get the bleeder blade out if you pour hot lead in the ferrul.

I got the 2 blade 145 up to 175 by making tapered lead weights. Pour the hot lead into a field point, knock it out when it cools and put in the BH. There was not much room left for the shaft taper. But this still wont work with the 4 bld

Been down this road already...

I'd just get some 3 blade vpa or snuffer and add a little weight to them

Eric

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©