3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How long after setting stand  (Read 526 times)

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
How long after setting stand
« on: October 21, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
How long do you let a spot calm down after setting up a hang on stand? I set one yesterday afternoon after finding the spot on Friday, but don't want to pressure the area. Should I hunt it this afternoon or wait a few days or a week?
There is a big oak they are feeding at, with lots of old and fresh scat. Not knowing how long the acorns will last makes we want to get on it, but not at the cost of contaminating the site.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How long after setting stand
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
I like to leave it a couple of days, myself.
That said, I think a lot depends on the weather. A windy day would speed things up, same goes for rain.
At damp, still times I'd prefer to leave it at least a week.
Pretty much as long as I think it'll take for my scent to dissipate.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
I have hung them and hunted them. If the wind is right get at it!
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
Another point of view is to immediately hunt it.  I like to bounce around, plus, I hunt public areas where we cannot leave a stand overnight.  In and out, quickly, quietly.  Like a ninja    :biglaugh:  

ChuckC

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
I would hang and hunt when possible unless you put a bunch of scent right were they will be walking, feeding or down wind so they spook when they come in.  In that case, let it rest a while.  They will come in at night if it is a hot feed area and they know you were there.  After not finding more scent over a day or two, they should start to relax a bit. Rain will help clean up the area.  

In some spots you can push them out for a week or so, or push them to a different part of a field for food by disturbing an area. In a hot food spot like concentrated acorns, apples..., there is a bit of a race to be first in line to get the goodies. I think that brings them back sooner.  

I hung one Saturday, but had to get back to prep for the hunt.  Rain was developing in the area so I decided to let it go for that night, and let the rain clean things up.  It was a ways into the area so I didn't want to shoot something in the rain or get soaked. Turned out that was a good choice because it poured hard right at dark. I will be in it come Friday if the wind is right.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
If they are feeding there and the wind is right no reason not to hunt it right away unless you really stunk up the place of course.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Online medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
I've had my best result setting the stand and sitting it as soon as I'm done.  I've seen more decent bucks than any other time doing that.  I don't know if it's coincidence or you just catch them off guard.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
I'm wondering too if it's feasable to leave a stand on public property? Seems like it might dissapear?
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by medic77:
I've had my best result setting the stand and sitting it as soon as I'm done.  I've seen more decent bucks than any other time doing that.  I don't know if it's coincidence or you just catch them off guard.
X's2 Medic!!   :thumbsup:

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
Shot a beauty of an 8 point 2 hours after setting the stand 5 years ago. But it was cold and I didn't break a sweat.
I guess it all depends.
I adapt during the season. If I see deer moving a ways from my current stand I wont hesitate to move it, then hunt.
Not my preference of course, but whatever it takes.
David M. Conroy

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Depends on how much you muck up the area.  

If you walked all over and cut huge shooting highways, then blocked trails with your cuttings, you may be busted before you get a deer in range.

On the flip, if you sneak in from a good direction, get up rather quietly and the conditions are right.  Sit down and get ready.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Like Charlie said, if you sneak in behind from where you expect the deer to come and you don't disturb the area visually, olfactorially,or noise wise.......go at it.    :thumbsup:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
I usualy hunt from the ground but, I bounce around a bit. When  find a good spot, I sit!!!

Isn't that why guys use climbing stands??? So they can go in, find a tree, climb it, and sit???
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
One time years ago I moved my stand just before noon . Got it set up in about 15 min. and poured out a cup of soup , had the cup in one hand ,spoon to my lips and saw a big doe bout 10 yds. from me . Didn't get a shot because I had no way to set things down quietly .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
A few years back, I silently hung a little Loc-on Limit with climbing sticks in a river bottom and half way up I spied five doe bedded down 80 yards upwind of me. Got everything buttoned up 18 feet up, hauled my gear up and 20 minutes later one of them was tagged and getting dragged to the truck. They had no idea I was there.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »
It depends, but I like to find a spot, hang my Loc-on and hunt it right then.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
Well with a climber you have to hunt it then.

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 03:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I don't think I left too much scent. I didn't cut any lanes, but trimmed one or two branches.
I hunted it this morning. Mistake. I should've waited until this evening. I bumped two does in field on way in. Of course they went the way I was headed, so bumped them further. One was blowing, up until I got the bow up. Was still dark so I didn't see them.
Then, at 9:20, "friendly" neighbor comes to border of property and fires two shots from shotgun. 5-6 minutes later, he comes to within 50 yards and fires two more shots (about 10 yards from oak I'm watching). He's not hunting, just harrassing me. Every time I park where I did, he comes in firing guns, banging drums, revving the quad, yelling, blowing car horn, etc. He's the $%&# that chased my son home one day last year. This guy is playing with fire. He and his brother own land on either side of the property I hunt, over 100 acres each, but can't get along with anybody. It's private property that I'm hunting, and he stayed on his side, but what a tool.
I'll give it a week or so, then get back in there, and park somewhere else. Or park in same spot and hope he pulls his BS and pushes deer to me.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
I hunt strictly from my Lone Wolf Climber.  Sneak in best I can, climb the tree and I'm hunting.  So I pretty much hunt it immediately every time.  Although sometimes I will find a spot while walking in or out and will then make a mental note to hunt it later.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by TooManyHobbies:
Thanks for the replies. I don't think I left too much scent. I didn't cut any lanes, but trimmed one or two branches.
I hunted it this morning. Mistake. I should've waited until this evening. I bumped two does in field on way in. Of course they went the way I was headed, so bumped them further. One was blowing, up until I got the bow up. Was still dark so I didn't see them.
Then, at 9:20, "friendly" neighbor comes to border of property and fires two shots from shotgun. 5-6 minutes later, he comes to within 50 yards and fires two more shots (about 10 yards from oak I'm watching). He's not hunting, just harrassing me. Every time I park where I did, he comes in firing guns, banging drums, revving the quad, yelling, blowing car horn, etc. He's the $%&# that chased my son home one day last year. This guy is playing with fire. He and his brother own land on either side of the property I hunt, over 100 acres each, but can't get along with anybody. It's private property that I'm hunting, and he stayed on his side, but what a tool.
I'll give it a week or so, then get back in there, and park somewhere else. Or park in same spot and hope he pulls his BS and pushes deer to me.
In Texas we have a Hunter Harassment law. Maybe you do too. Would be nice if he got a big fat ticket.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©