3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: broke the dry spell  (Read 466 times)

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
broke the dry spell
« on: October 21, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »

With the help of my good friend Mike Rash from Legends bows, I was able to get the job done ending my deer dry spell. Mike didnt have a tag but went along with a video camera----that may have been a mistake after a couple of misses.

It started off with a call at 4:15 am and Mike had some bad news. Our good friend Leon's house was on fire. We both dropped everything and met at his house to help in any way that we could. The house was a total loss, but at least everyone got out safe and his Harley in the garage was still ok after a quick washing. Needless to say we arrived to our hunting spot after 8pm that night. I thought Mike was crazy when he grabbed his climber and said lets go find our trees for tomorrow. Task accomplished.
6:30 am and we are both climbed up in our trees and start the waiting period. Mikes tree is about 10 feet behind me and he is a little higher for good vewing. It wasnt long and a big fat doe comes in from the top of the hill like she is on a string. I stood up and as she got her head behind a tree I pulled back...ooops she saw me move a little and looked at me funny. her mistake she turned back behind tree and came out broadside and stopped (14 yds or so). Now if I was by myself and no one watching, I would probably not admit this but what happens next is a total rookie error on my part. I missed! the bad thing was she ran out to about 20 yds and stopped. aaaahhhh redemption----nope I proceeded to miss again. What the heck??????
I turn to look at Mike and he is just laughing and saying "I got that on tape". I was baffeled because I usually dont miss especially twice. Well I hope I can get some redemption and it wasnt long before the next victim came in. Unfortunately the either sex tag is ok for does, bucks with a fork horn or better, or a spike if less than 4 inches or so. This buck had a nice set of horns, but were both tall spikes. I had to let him pass.
Well about 45 minutes go by and Mike wispers to me he heard one below him about 100 yds or so. All of a sudden we heard him come running. Usually with me, a deer like this would keep running, but with Mike and his special powers to attract deer, the Little spiked buck came to a sudden stop about 18yds or so out from the base of our trees. I stay sitting and draw back, pick a spot and release. A perfect MISS again just over his back. I cant believe what I am seeing and neither can Mike. The buck takes 2 steps forward and stops looking right at me. I proceed to take out my last arrow and draw back. This time I picked a spot about 2 inchs below his brisket, and finally, It is done. Not very pretty, but I'll take a high spine shot anyday. He fell right there in his tracks.
I figure I have to come clean with the whole story because hey thats archery. Lesson learned, no matter how cool the new arrows look, do not switch arrows just before a hunt. The sight picture on the new arrows made them shoot high. Thats my story and Iam sticking to it.

My setup is Legends bow cyclone longbow 64". 61 lbs at 31in for my shooting weight of about 62lbs. My usuall arrow is arrow dynamics trad lights with brass and 145-150grs op front(total 600+grs). I switched to the zebra arrows gold tip 5575's with a grizzly head up front (wt apporx 500gr's) I got the 5575's for my 41lb limbs and will be keeping my setup like that in the future. Once again lesson learned.

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: broke the dry spell
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »
Congrats!!!   :thumbsup:

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Whooohooo! Great story and kill! Congratulations on the end of a dry spell.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Mryan2176

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
congratulations, sound like a great hunt  :)

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
It was a great hunt and Ben did put some meat in the freezer. I want to add those that shoot 3D's where Ben is entered always knows he will be in the top somewhere. He is not just a good shooter he is a great shooter. As far as his share of big game, he has some great ones. To see him miss shots like this was very shocking. I do have to admit I am having a little fun teasing him. I've had my turn in the barrel and he got his in. Anyway, lesson learned "Don't change your equipment before a hunt". We had a great time as always other than the thought of our good friend loosing his home.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Ben, I think you had to come clean because there is proof. LOL

Great Job none the less, Congrats!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
Sorry about the misses but it happens to all of us at one time or another!

Congrats on your deer!

Bisch

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Mike and Ben,
I guess I'm wondering which was yhe hardest to miss? The elk or the deer?

Anyway, good shooting Ben. I'm glad you got to fill your tag, and you had good company. Sounds like it was a great time. Don
"Just passing through"

Offline Gapmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
Mike and Ben,
I guess I'm wondering which was yhe hardest to miss? The elk or the deer?

Anyway, good shooting Ben. I'm glad you got to fill your tag, and you had good company. Sounds like it was a great time. Don
"Just passing through"

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
Congrats, and thanks for posting!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
Don, Definitely I have more to say about missing an elk, but I have to give and take and allow Mike a break from heat. lol

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 01:22:00 AM »
Awesome   :clapper:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 02:39:00 AM »
Way to go.   :thumbsup:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »
Good story Ben, you had to come clean or Mike would have done it for you. What a neat experience to have someone filming your hunt.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
Congrats on a great hunt and buck.    :thumbsup:

Offline TJK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 09:17:00 AM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
Good job!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
Congrats!!!

Offline RainyDayBows

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
Congrats Ben. you got meat in the freezer. when is the video coming out .

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 02:06:00 AM »
Congrats!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©