3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Clicker Malfunctioned And Cost Me A Deer  (Read 505 times)

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Clicker Malfunctioned And Cost Me A Deer
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
I just recently put a clicker on my longbows due to target panic. I can now shoot with a controlled and accurate positive outcome versus my quick snap shooting, out of control shot sequence which provided a lot of negative results on targets. Use what works and don't worry about what everyone thinks. You owe that to the animals in which you hunt and no one that posts here.

Ron

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
Well said, Ron!   :thumbsup:
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
I've got a good friend who has used a clicker for YEARS because of target panic. He's the closest thing to an assassin with a bow I know. He's proved it can be very successful for hunting all over the world. I know he covers the metal with tape so it's more of a feel thing than a click noise. I've tried it and just couldn't get used to it. To each his own but if it works for you then by all means figure out why it failed and what it's going to require to fix it. Good luck.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 12:41:00 PM »
Easy bud's,  all of us.  Nobody here is better than anybody else. We all have our styles and needs and wants and ways we do things.

On the other hand, if something doesn't work out and you post it up on the board, you'd better expect SOME others to think differently about it than you do.

Fix that thing and go get one. Its no big deal.

ChuckC

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
hate to hear that....but shouldnt reaching your face have been your second trigger?  ;)
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
Noone is saying a clicker is not an effective tool, and yes, I have shot one know all about them.  You are adding a mechanical device to the bow.  That device failed you on a shot, happens to be a shot at a deer.  I shoot with a psychotrigger, just not a gadget I have to add to the bow.  
Congrats on the deer you have shot that is awesome.  And if the device had not failed, then you probably would be posting up photos.  Many tradtional archers got away from compounds for all of the things that could go wrong with screws, pins, rest, etc.  Best of success on your future hunts.  

Jeff
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
First off, the title of the thread is mis-leading. It wasn't the clicker failure that caused the miss, it was that the shooter missed the shot.

I've shot plenty of game with a clicker on my my bow as well as with no clicker on the bow. I have killed game drawing past the clicker and not reaching the clicker. The bottom line is every kill or miss has been my my fault and not that of an equipment error. I know that you can draw way past the "click" and still shoot accurately so overdrawing is not a reason for a miss....not nearly as bad as under-drawing!

For anyone to post here that hasn't dealt with target panic is not beneficial to anyone. If a clicker gets you to full draw and ethically hunting then it should be on the bow. The clicker in this instance got the shooter to full draw so even though it wasn't working it still did it's job.

As far as being overbent... I've had clickers that were repairable and some that were beyond repair. You can likely fix it and learn that it needs to be tended to once in position to hunt.

People commenting on the sound of a clicker clearly have no idea about them so disregard those comments. Actually...disregard everything people have to say in regards to this topic that can't admit they've dealt with the same issues. It would be like a non alcoholic at an AA meeting giving advice.... kinda worthless!

Other things to watch for with the clicker that I've experienced is it's performance in the cold. I've had it where without damage it won't "click" due to extreme cold.

Good luck with this in the future, I wish you the best with the TP, but until then click away..Ryan

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
I use a clicker a lot--never a problem hunting. Guys who don't need them don't understand.  Check and see what may have gone wrong.  I find that if I get my clicker quiet to the point I want, on cold mornings they get quieter or may not click at all--I use double sided tape on them to soften the click and it can get stiff on a colder  morning. I have to adjust a bit when that happens.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
sounds like a lot of experts on here ready to tell ya your using to many gadgets. soooo easy to shoot down the other guys ways.  if he just came on and said he missed everyone would be supportive, but oh no he used a clicker that's too many gadgets.

laughable.

I used to use one so I understand, they certainly help with target panic. hope you can bounce back.  I remember once mine failed, im guessing in similar fashion, when I was stump shooting.  my bet is your miss was like mine that day, less failed clicker and more not picking a spot.  I wouldn't worry about it, and get back on the horse and get out there.  we all miss sometimes man, don't beat yourself up over it.
is it September yet??

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
I'm sorry you had the issue but glad you are working it out.

Had I known about clickers around 1981 I would have avoided 15 years of ever increasing TP. My last season shooting with TP (right-handed) was 1995. I was about to drop out of archery that year after having been shooting since the mid-1960's.

Thank goodness God answers prayers!

My problem was solved by a hunch (Devine?) switch to LH (master eye anyway). I've been shooting without issues since 1996 LH. I don't have any TP issues these days because I know to focus on process instead of results.

However, I've considered adding a "cricket" clicker just to make sure I don't develop an issue. I wouldn't hesitate to use one for sure if I had a shooting problem.

I've seen some very fine fellows on the 3D range that were absolutely eaten up with TP. Some of these archers have given back and are giving back to archery far more than the accumulated efforts of hundreds of others. There are even well known archery instructors and accomplished target archers that are in-the-closet-TPers. They have a horrible time trying to shoot. Most of them can't get close to full draw. I feel for them.

This is an unusual thread. Had I jumped into the middle of the thread I might have thought I was on one of the other less civilized sites that aren't even worth posting on.

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by r-man:
hunted my whole life with a bow, never needed a clicker, and so I cant use that excuse.
Same here. I get in my fair share of misses without one.

Seriously though, I used to be more of a gadget person and it ended up being a hindrance for me. Those people above that say the mechanical items you have the more things can go wrong must have been watching my hunts. The mechanical stuff just doesn't work for me. That being said, I have missed shots by accidentally bumping my bottom limb on something that would never happen with wheels or a recurve. It just goes to show that anything can go wrong no matter what you use.

What someone said above about if you are going to utilize equipment, make sure to constantly test it. I ran into a guy last week pig hunting that missed a 15 yard shot on a pig because his sight got bumped and he didn't get around to looking it over yet.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
Ive been hunting with clickers on all my bows and its not cause I have to its because I choose too. Ive hunted in nasty thick brush chasing rabbits and never got hung up. You should be able to tell when the clicker blade is wearing out. Sounds like you got excited and over drew which you wouldnt have known without a clicker. Just change the blade and go redeem yourself.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2013, 08:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Manitoba Stickflinger:
 Actually...disregard everything people have to say in regards to this topic that can't admit they've dealt with the same issues. It would be like a non alcoholic at an AA meeting giving advice.... kinda worthless!

Bingo. I fought TP for years and used a clicker for a while. I was able to break myself from it for now..... I know it come back.

If the clicker is what you need, go for it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©