3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gold Tip help please  (Read 386 times)

Offline jakesdad

• Trad Bowhunter
Gold Tip help please
« on: October 22, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
Ordered some GT traditional blems from Big Jims,but didnt realize they didnt come with nocks that can accept the weight system.Looking on the website there are lots of nock bushings and adapters.Which adapters do I need for my arrows to accept the weights?And what nocks(if not standard GT nocks) do I need to fit in them?Thanks!

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gold Tip help please
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
Call Big Jim, he'll take care of you.

Offline jakesdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Are they supposed to come with the arrows?I figured they were probably an extra accessory if you wanted them.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
Do you want to put weight on the back of the arrow? I have shot GT's for a long time, I did not even know there was a weighted nock available.

I am always trying to learn something new, why would you put weight on the back of the arrow?

Offline jakesdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 12:47:00 PM »
I believe it helps stiffen the arrow with weight added to the back side,plus the benefit of a heavier arrow.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
Ok, I see... That makes sense to me, thanks.

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
call big jim

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
If I understand what you are asking,you can just run a tap down through them where you can screw an 8x32 thread into the backside.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
Lead shot and glue in the end of the nock. Only problem is this may acerbate the nock breaking on impact thing.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
Jakesdad,  No, they do not come  with the shafts or arrows.  If you want them, you need to purchase them as an extra item.  That goes for the aluminum adapter and  the weights.

Offline jakesdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
Yep,got the weights and inserts,just need the nocks that can accept the weights.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
I never needed to add weight to the nock end.More commonly,it is the front end that needs weight added and even there,I don';t like adding weight behind the insert.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »
Gold tip makes adapters for nock end to add weight. They make the shaft about 1/2 inch longer. I got some early on with my first carbons. I hate them never hunted with them. Then along comes the internet I learn about putting tons of weight up front makes arrow heavy bow quiet and arrows stay stiff enough go figure. I doubt you need to add weight to rear just us heavy brass inserts or steel adapters and glue on broad heads. You can get screw in fild points up to 300 grains i believe.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline jakesdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
Ive got plenty of weight(50gr and 20gr) to add up front if need be.Gonna start with 125gr point and go from there.Using the 1535 in a 40# Samick Sage with a 28" draw.According to the "calculator" at 30" arrow length I can get by with just a little added weight up front and none in the back,so i'll start there.Just hoping these arrows will work one way or the other!!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
I would skip the nock inserts and weights.  Makes it very hard to tune using the weights on the point end if you want to take out and add them using the long wrench. Nock inserts also make it a bit difficult to cut down a bare shaft from the back side for tuning so you don't have to take out the point insert and weights.

Just tune from the front of the arrow by point/insert/GT weight changes, and cut from the back of the bare shaft.

Don't count on the calculator working out for you.  Plan to play with the front weight and length some.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline jakesdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
Thanks xtrema,never even occured to me to cut off from the back end!I didnt take the calculator as gospel,just wanted something to get me ballpark as going trad is all very new to me.Hoping I can leave the 1535s around 29" and add a little up front weight to get'em flyin right.Thanks for the advice guys!

Offline Fanto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
im sure the 1535s will work. you will be truly amazed at how much weight you can add up front. the archery shop owner in my town shoots 29" long 3555s from his 60 and 70 lb longbows (cut before centre) with 175 or 225gr up front. and they fly perfect, go figure?

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 07:37:00 PM »
You aint gonna like the nock adaptors. I do have them so if you just want to spend some money, I will be more than happy to sell them to you.

They can make the arrows do funny things. Weight is much better added to the front. Stiffen shaft by cutting if possible. If not....well....If you haven't altered the shafts, return them for the right size.
That is my take on the subject.

thanks, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline jakesdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and info!I believe i'll just go with adding weight up front if needed and play with the shaft length until they fly!I gotta say BigJim,i've never got such fast responses(here and home email)from a supplier before.Got a customer for life here!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
If your heart is set on using them, Black Widow carries them.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©