3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A great start to the season!  (Read 430 times)

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
A great start to the season!
« on: October 22, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
Our season in Alabama opened on Tuesday the 15th of October.  It kicked off to a good start for me on Thursday, my first oportunity to hunt.  I saw 10 deer and had 2 within range and just did not get the shot that I was looking for.  I could not wait for Saturday, when I would be hunting a new piece of property all day.  This turned out to be a bust, no deer.  Sunday was my third chance to hunt.  I headed out that afternoon and got into my stand around 1:30 after jumping a deer within 75 yards of my tree and listening to it blow several times I felt a little discouraged. But it was still early in the day so I had plenty of time and decided to stay and hunt this stand.

The stand I chose this day was a lock on hidden in a large cedar tree.  It is located on the edge of a overgrown field at the bottom of the mountain.  There is an old fence that runs along the woodline that I have strategically cut two openings in 15 yards on either side of the stand.  There is also a narrow strip of woods that run across the field perpindicular to the fenceline.  All of this creates a great funnel with several well used trails converging right under my stand.

As I sat for the next few hours I watched several types of birds, red cardinals, woodpeckers and others that I am unsure of.  The several squirrels also provided some entertainment as they chased each other.  A large fox squirrel came closer to investigate me as I sat motionless.  He eventually ran down a limb that was within a foot of my head and continued on up the tree.  As I observed all of this I could not help but think back to last year when I shot my first Traditional deer out of this stand.
By now several hours had passed and it was now 4:30.  I was beginning to get an ache in my back but I continued to sit patienly.  As I scanned my surroundings once more I caught the movement of a small privet bush over my right shoulder.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A great start to the season!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
So far so good.  :campfire:

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
:campfire:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
:campfire:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline The-Talon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 05:03:00 PM »
Awesome
Mother Nature is my religion. Tooth fang and claw.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
I'll bet the movement was another pesky squirrel!     :biglaugh:

I think this is going to get good!

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
:campfire:     :archer:
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Ok, back to the story.  I was thinking the movement was, like Bernie said, another pesky squirrel.  To my surprise through the tangle of cedar branches I could see that it was a buck!  Turns out it was a pretty good buck. At this point he was only about twenty yards away but on the other side of the fence which was lined with large cedar trees obstructing any shot that I would have.
I very carefully stood up with my bow which was already in my hand and began to slowly turn to my right.  The buck continued to rub on the bush and was totally unaware of my presence.  Now it was just a matter of waiting for a shot.  
The buck slowly continued on his path down the fence line, taking his time as he browsed and tickled his antlers on the branches.  I could now tell that he had eight points and a spread that was outside of his ears.  I knew that I wanted to harvest this buck but would I ever get a shot?
He soon came up on the first fence opening.  I was praying that he would turn and pass through it offering me a ten yard shot but he continued on his path down the fence.  Coming up directly behind me he was less than ten yards away.  My heart was racing.  The only chance that I would have is if he turns and comes through the next opening in the fence.  
I watched him browse and continue on for a few more minutes.  Finally he was at the opening!  Will he come through or is it game over.  He stood there several more minutes.  I was finding it almost hard to breath.  Finally he began to lower his head to pass under the branches that hung low over the fence gap.  This was it!  He began to cross through the opening and into wide open ground offering me a 15 yard slightly quartering away shot.  At this point it was all up to me.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
You have my attention
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
Its been 11 hours, Your starting to lose it again.  This ADD stuff really kicks my butt lol.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 07:51:00 AM »
:eek:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
As the buck made his way through the gap I took several deep breaths and told myself to pick a spot and concentrate.  Do not think of anything else.  This is exactly what I did.  All I can really recall is the dull thump of the bow and seeing my arrow fly perfectly to my target, striking the deer right behind the shoulder.  As he ran I could see nothing but my lime green fletching showing on his right side.  It looked like a good hit!
I watched the buck run deeper into the woods and out of sight and then heard the crash that I was listening for.  I had to sit down and collect my thoughts for 10 minutes or so before I could even think to do anything else.  After gathering my things and giving the buck plenty of time to expire I began following blood.  Just as I thought it was full of bubbles.  I knew it was just a matter of time and I would find him.
After about 60 or 70 yards there he was.
After fifteen or so years hunting with a bow and hunting the last two years with a traditional bow only I finally killed a buck.  I could not be happier.  This has been my best hunt since the beginning and using a traditional bow to get it done makes it that much better.  This has been a great start to the season for sure!

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
wow, thats a NICE buck! great job. I'm pretty sure I would be shaking right out of the tree if I saw something like that!

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline BeNoIt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
Very nice deer! Congratulations!
David

Matthew 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Bigfoot Flatliner 55@28 64" (New!)
Spirit LB 55# @28" 62"

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
Congratulations!!!
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »
Wow awesome buck, great story as well!!! Congrats   :clapper:    :clapper:
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
Excellent story and an awesome buck to go with it! Thanks for sharing!
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
There's the hoss!....Beautiful animal and congrats to ya!

Offline Cmane07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
What a great buck! Way to go man
Caleb Hinton

58" PA-X cocobolo 50lbs @28"
"Luck favors preparation"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©