3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: which to choose  (Read 121 times)

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
which to choose
« on: October 22, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
i am in the process of building an ibeam riser for a take down recurve (as posted in the bowyers bench) and have come to a delima of which to choose. the 'beam' is going to be hickory, but i cant decide between aspen or red oak to e the outter parts of the riser. what would you all choose? or another hard wood that is easily accessible.     :help:
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: which to choose
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 07:21:00 PM »
Between the aspen and oak, I'd go with oak. Aspen is too fuzzy and has little or no character. There are probably prettier choices than either of those two. Hard maple is hard to beat. If you are near a Rockler Woodworking store, they often have small pieces of exotic woods that would dress up the riser. A darker wood would create a nice contrast with the hickory.

I've tried to work with aspen and now avoid it like poison! Poplar would be a much better choice if you are looking for inexpensive woods. The sap wood is green, which may or may not be to your liking. The heart wood is similar in color to aspen, but has more grain. It also doesn't fuzz like aspen.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
Aspen... I would have never guessed it to be workable...
Photos?

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
thank you coupe. i would like to use some sort of unique grained wood, but i have none that are closesly available or relatively inexpensive. i agree that the darker wood would look better but unfortunately i am limited on what i have available. and Matty, once i am done i plan on posting pictures with the completed riser and bow. i am just wanting to make sure i choose some decent woods to start with...lol
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©