3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KY doe down, first one this year for me and really appreciated!Pic added!  (Read 441 times)

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
I have hunted as hard as my work schedule allows, seen a ton of deer, but no shot opportunity in 16 trips hunting. This past weekend was ML season, buck only, had does all around me, could not shoot. So last night I went back to the same stand, hoping some big old does I had seen the day before would stop by. Got on stand late, 6:01, 6:40 I hear leaves, and looking over my right shoulder, I see a huge, I mean huge doe, and then 3 more deer behind her. They make U off to my right, coming back towards me and a trail between the field and me, field is 14 yds away. In making this half circle, they go behind a huge brushy beech tree, gives me time to stand up and turn the angle I want for the shot. Were 2 small bucks, spikes, #100 or less, I decided I wanted the big lead doe. Problem is she is coming to fast and gets some brush between her and me, can still see her shoulders good, 8yds away, not the best angle, but I decide to try to spine her this close, have done it twice before. I lean out, she is angling forward and pull my Quinns string back,as I anchor the GT with a ACE std on my cheekbone, the arrow is gone and in slow motion she takes a step. Arrow hits her spine 6 inches back of the shoulder blades, and drops her in her tracks. She rolls over a time or two, is struggling and facing me on her front feet, back end don't work. I try to make vital shot just as she flops, and the second arrow hits her just under the throat patch, with only 8 inches sticking out, she gasps and it is over. I could not believe how big she was, no ground shrinkage and I have killed some old does with all kinds of weapons. This one is my second biggest, completely gutted she weighed #130, mud fat. She was an old barren doe, teats and sack withered up and haired over. When I skinned her, their was 3/4 inch of fat on her whole body, more on her hams. Only had to drag her 20yds to the field and load her in the pickup. I skinned and boned out all the meat, put it on ice, and tonight I stopped an got #15 of pork shoulder and mixed it with the close to  same amount of deer burger and my country sausage mix I use, ended up with #34 of sausage in 1# poly freezer bags. Kept one out and had sausage, my free range eggs over easy from my hens here on the farm, and toast with some wild raspberry jam wife and I made from berries we picked this spring. Man was it good, first time I had mixed sausage like that, turned out great. We ended up with #34 country sausage, #32 hamburger, and the backstraps and tenderloins, this topped off my 2 freezers, wife and I have 2 tags left, will have to can the next 2!We have had some health issues this year, worked extra hard in the garden and on the farm, orchard and berry patch preserving, canning and freezing food in our efforts to be more self sustaining. It  felt really good to eat a good meal, that is the fruit of your labors over several months and realize how blessed we are to be able to do so. Just thought I would share, KY TJ might get you to post a pic of the big girl.
samuel koger

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great News Sam.

Congrats on a big Ol Gal.    :clapper:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
You made me hungry!

Congrats
Inquiring minds.......

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Congrats Sam! Glad you were able to get some meat in the freezer.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Congrats on the big doe!

Bisch

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Sustainable living is what its all about! Congrats on your doe. Thanks for sharing.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Medicare Bhtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Congrats Sam!  Full freezers from your own land. Awesome!

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
sounds like you planned well this summer and should do good thru the winter month
Congrats
Slickhead

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
That's an awesome story bro!!!! I couldn't believe the size of the midwest does I saw in Missouri. They don't get that big in LA. Sure don't have to shoot many of those to fill the freezer. Way to go!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Congrats Sam! Great story...I agree with you wholeheartedly when it comes to being able to provide food for you and your family and being self-sufficient. I always love processing my own deer, fruits, veggies etc... Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see a pic of the ole gal!
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: KY doe down, first one this year for me and really appreciated!Pic added!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
Great story Sam! Nice shooting. I'll bet that was an action packed few moments on stand!  

You sure live in some beautiful country around Monticello!

I bowhunted the Cumberland State Park when we were first able to convince Parks to offer bowhunts. Drove through Monticello a few times.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
Congrats..........   :clapper:

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 07:40:00 PM »
Congrats on an old nanny!   :thumbsup:

Online Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Good job

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
Here is Sam's doe. Congrats again Brother!

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Thanks TJ, for reference fellas, I weigh #280, and tend to make a normal doe look small, not so with her!
samuel koger

Offline Bob Baur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
Great story, thanks for sharin & congrats on the doe!

No better meal than the one created by the sweat of your brow from the ground up.
Black Widow LAG 49#@28

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. -Psalms 27:14

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
She's what you call a 4-wheel drive doe!!!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
congrats
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Sam, that is one HUGE doe! Good job!
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©