3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stopping Deer before the shot  (Read 464 times)

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Stopping Deer before the shot
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
As I sit here watching the Sportsman Channel and surfing the Trad Gang, I am stunned that every TV hunter I have seen shoot a deer in the last hour of programming has "bleated" to stop their deer before the shot. I never attempt to stop the deer I shoot at. I do not want to shoot at alerted deer!! Are these new age compounds they shoot these days so fast it does not matter? I've seen instances tonight where it didn't seem necessary. Perhaps they think it makes them a better hunter! Do any traditional shooters stop deer? Surely I am not in the Minority! Thoughts?
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stopping Deer before the shot
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
I'm not going to tell em I'm there if they are just walking by.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Im with you on this one goldflinger
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Im with you on this one goldflinger
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
My last one, I just missed high   :dunno:   that stopped him long enough to get the 2nd shot which ended his walking all together. Otherwise I would not stop them if on a slow walk.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
I always stop the deer that I shoot.  I know that I'm in the minority here, but I don't want to shoot a moving animal.  I also know that "ducking the arrow" has been a problem for some who shoot at alert deer, but I haven't found that to be a problem.

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
The times I've thought it was necessary to stop the deer, they seemed confused by it because I don't bleat. I whistle but not loud enough for them to pinpoint my location. To me an alert deer that should be passed up has either made you out, seen movement or got a whiff of you. I do not take shots at these deer with archery equipment. I've taken deer I've stopped and I've taken slow walking deer but I'd rather take a shot at a stopped deer if the angle is right and they are not alerted.
Member NCBA

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
If they are moving slowly or walking at a normal pace I normally don't stop them.  But I definately will if they are moving too fast, and have had good success with just a grunt using my mouth.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
I'd just rather shoot one at a slow walk if they are within 12 yards or so. Farther than that I'll use a reeeeeal light bleat or something. Light tongue-clicks work too.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
I will stop one if they are walking through a shooting lane at a fast pace, if they are walking slow or feeding slow I will not stop the animal

Offline grouse11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
Stop them every time. Soft enough that they can't pinpoint me like Bernie B. Never had much of an issue with jumping the string. Have had deer jump the string both after stopping and when they stop on their own. To each their own.

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Unless they are just milling around feeding I usually try to softly stop them. A few years ago I had to actually yell "HEY" to stop an 8pt. that was on a mission or just plain deaf. He looked real good in the back of my truck.
Glenn

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 04:31:00 AM »
I usually unintentionally make a deep inverted sqreech that comes out naturally after I have been sitting and shivering for 4 hrs thinking  about my warm bed and my bow suddenly feels like its 80lbs.  

but no I try not to unless they are moving a bit quick for my shot.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »
I just watch my spot on them and I am ready to shoot at any given second, if they stop I shoot if they don't stop I shoot. I only stop them if they are moving fast. There is no better weapon that the element of surprise.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 07:14:00 AM »
I had an experience last year that taught me to keep my mouth shut where I hunt. A buddy and I had two stands stacked on a tree, as he wanted to try to get some video footage of a trad shot deer. A big doe and a yearling came in broadside at about 15 yards and were walking slowly, unalert. As I came to full draw tracking the spot I wanted on the doe, I hear a "MEARP" from above me and the yearling kicked up the pace, trotting right in front of my spot on the doe. Botched hunt. When they were gone, I looked up and got a shoulder shrug..?? Never again will I go for trying to stop a deer where I hunt, unless I'm on an open field with a firestick and they're running.
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
Slow feeding pace in an open area I shot on the move because they are a little more likely to know where the sound came from.  I will not anymore if walking right along.  Last three I did that on were less than ideal hits. Got them, but not happy with the hits. One was a little back, and one turned as I shot. One was a lucky kill after a deflection off of a branch that was in the way.   It is real easy to hit a branch when you are moving with an animal particularly in the direction of the bow where the bow and bow quiver blocks stuff from your vision until it pops up in your site window.  It is kind of hard to watch for branches and burn a hole at the same time.  I hunt some thick stuff and like cover around me.  Most times I am not in a place I can just shoot everywhere.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline D.J. Carr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
I just switched over from a wheel bow. I always stopped them with a wheelbow with no ill effects.  I was fortunate enough to harvest a small 4 point with my recurve this year, first traditonal kill.  I learned stopping them when using a recurve is a little different.  I hit him high, he pinpointed my location and at a slower speed he ducked my arrow.  I was happy with the harvest, but learned a lesson, either A. dont stop them, or B. if you must stop them prepare for them to drop.
An archer tries to find ways to shoot further more accurately, a bowhunter tries to get as close as possible to ensure his shot is accurate.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
I do stop them, depending on the situation. If feeding, no. I've shot several bucks that I would never have had a chance at if I didn't stop them.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
I think if done properly it is a very successful and ethical way of shooting at a moving animal. The doe I killed this month was briskly walking and when I bleated she stopped perfectly broadside and right where I wanted her to.

I would guess 30-40% of the deer I have killed stopped when I bleated at them. Can't recall any that then ducked my arrow. The bleat is coming from another deer they think and doesn't get them spooky. What gets them spooky is movement from the hunter after they stop them with any noise. After I shoot at a bleated still deer I do not drop my bow arm and try to stay very still as they are usually looking my way.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
I'm torn on this one.  I bleated softly at a very nice buck year before last and he came inside out out, no pause or hesitation just exploded out of there.  I kicked myself because I knew I could have made the walking shot at under 15 yds.   I just let situation tell me what to do but I'm a little gun shy after loosing that buck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©