3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Polyester  (Read 158 times)

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
Polyester
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
I've noticed a lot of the popular camo clothing brands today are made of polyester as is the fleece clothing a lot of us use. Can anyone share their experiences with polyester? My only experience is with the fleece clothing with which I have been pleased in cool to moderately cold weather. I've been looking at a lot of different pants and jackets and have noticed a slick polyester lining in many of the brands. I am worried that this lining will cause me to sweat when I exert myself and will hold in the moisture creating undesirable situation. The fleece I have has been good at wicking away moisture. I would appreciate hearing others experiences with this material.
Member NCBA

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Polyester
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
I think polyester works fine as long as it is not in contact with your skin. Something about polyester gives off a very unpleasant odor when it's in contact with your skin for very long.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 10:09:00 PM »
I want to watch this thread.  I have noticed too the base layer odors- one key reason I went to merino.  But also the high tech gear like KUIU, Sitka etc is all polyester. . .  ???
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
I should add that I usually use polypropylene long johns under my fleece which I know has wicking properties and will probably do the same if I use any other polyester clothing. Its usually too warm here for wool under garments.
Member NCBA

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
Ask 2FShort(Paul Brunner) what he thinks about polyester hunting cloths. d:^O
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »
Fleece is of course polyester, and it works fine for many people.  It can be made durable and wind resistant/waterproof, it's a nice option to have, light and generally available cheap.  Problems: it's flammable and melts so be careful, it is hydrophobic so it can get clammy next to skin, odors are not pleasant as stated, and it doesn't insulate when wet very well.  I like fleece ok, but I'd say I've transitioned about 90% to wool.  Smartwool or woolpower next to skin, and go from there.  I know its durable, I stay dry, and warm, and when you compare them in the woods, wool absorbs light and is much more muted than fleece.  I use down if I need more as a mid layer. IMO the more experience I've had with wool, the less I wear fleece.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »
Polyester is also available in a non stinky version and that stuff is great! Look into that at a place like REI or Patagonia-maybe Cabela's too. I have lots that I have worn for several days straight and no stench at all-nada.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 07:49:00 PM »
I've had pretty good results with fleece clothing in early season and up thru November but I also use wool if daytime temps stay just above freezing. I know that is t-shirt weather to true northerners but it works for me. I did some reading about polyester and polypro and found out that the polyester is replacing polypro in the outdoor clothing arena. While they are both plastics polyester is color fast and equals polypro everywhere except in wicking properties where polypro succeeds in spreading the moisture out so it dries more effectively. Polypro beaks down quicker than polyester and will fade where polyester won't. To some extent I think the clothing industry uses it because it is cheaper, does not fade, is lightweight and is somewhat breathable. A waterproof membrane can be added and then it is fairly waterproof. I'm not pumping it up so don't get me wrong I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons for a lightweight camo suit that is not cotton and from what I've seen thee is not much else out there. Wool is just to warm here in the climate to consider for warm to cool weather. Hope some others chime in with their experiences and thanks so far for all the responses.
Member NCBA

Offline Sharpend60

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
This happens to be a pet peeve of mine.
The number of trad hunters compared to the number of outdoor athletes is minuscule.

Athletes mostly all use poly products, there is a reason for that.
Wool can work and so can poly. I do own and use both by the way.

Don't believe hype.
If a guy can climb Everest in poly, you can sit in a tree stand in poly.

One last thing some what related, I've used poly in a much more extreme fashion that most hunters. I've been an outdoor athlete for over 10 years, earning my living through sweet and muscle. Never had a problem with poly stinking. I havnt worn deodorant in at least that long. How? Why? Clean up your diet. Body odor is a result of your body releasing toxins through sweat glands. Fewer toxins means less stink. Cut out trans fats and HF corn syrup and not only will the ole pumper thank you but you will stink much much less.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©