3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for words of encouragement.  (Read 354 times)

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking for words of encouragement.
« on: October 23, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
Totally dejected.  Sitting on the edge of a myrtle thicket at Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge.  I've just missed my second shot of the morning, 3rd shot of the trip, 4th shot of the season.
The last was a huge Sika Bull at 18 yards.
Thinking i am not going to get it done with a longbow.
Help!
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for words of encouragement.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Relax......just relax. Check everything out, make sure your brace or nock or some other little thing hasnt changed..then, If a shot presents itself fine, if not, fine. If its there, pick your spot and concentrate on your shot sequence. You can do it.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
My first shot this year I spined a doe on what I would call a very easy shot. I should have never shot that high. Well I figured it may have been the steep angle from shooting out of a treestand. So my next day off I didnt hunt but climbed a tree my usual 20-25 feet and sat my target 15yds away. I missed the target high my first two shots. I just didnt hit high, both arrows completely missed the target. Shooting from the ground I can group arrows about the size of a softball from that distance. I got LUCKY I even hit that deer. I will now be practicing from a treestand every year. I got lazy this year I didnt think I needed to shoot out of my stand.
Did you shoot consistantly high or low?
Only advise I can give you is keep your head up and try to think of the reason you missed.

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
double post

Offline Josh Perdue

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
double post

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Is your preshot routine on a critter something like this?

1. Make sure my bow is at the proper cant
2. Is my palm is in the proper place on the grip
3. Are my fingers properly placed on the string
4. Pick a spot
5. Have to get to my anchor point
6. Make sure I have a smooth release?????

If so STOP going through a target session shooting form list in your mind when there is an animal in front of you. I can't do that either.

When you have some sort of mental shooting routine you have to go through that is fine on a stationary target, but when done on a live target doesn't work for many. What happens is when the live target moves it totally messes up your mental routine and then everything goes south and you miss.

Lose the target and get some judo points and go out and just shoot at the leaves, stumps and grass from different yardages with your bow in all sorts of angles and do not use any mental routine. Its called instinctive shooting and when a deer moves his head during your shot it isn't going to even register in your mind and you will find it at the end of a blood trail.

Good luck and shoot, shoot, shoot then get back out there.

TJ
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Hang in there, Ken.  I feel your pain!

Been a tough start for me as well! ;)
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »
Wait for some closer shots, pick a spot and aim for that spot,  practice that shot (treestand shots, as described above, are very often an issue for those who have not practiced them.  Note, they also CHANGE the spot you need to aim at.

Hang in there.  You can do it, but it isn't easy.

It is difficult to insert excitement into a daily practice session.  I firmly believe that most misses are the result of getting excited and not doing what we do during practice, the biggest change being not picking a spot.

Again. .  hang in there, you are not alone and you CAN do it.

ChuckC

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'm hangin' Bob.  Just barely though.

TJ, no.  The only thing I mentally do is make sure my limbs are clear.   I'll remember that though.
Ken Adkins

Never question a man's choice in bows or the quality of an animal he kills.  He is the only one who has to be satisfied with either of those choices.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Ok great, then as ChuckC has said you may not be picking a spot. You may simply be shooting at the entire animal. I do that also and my only mental preshot routine is Pick-a-spot,  Pick-a-spot, Pick-a-spot as soon as I see an animal I want to shoot.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
What you need to do man is go stump shooting/small game hunting. And you will get your grove back!
Makes you pick a spot and concentrate and your confidence will come back up
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »
Bend at the waist.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Mac Hicks

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
Hang in there Ken!  I agree with TJ.....just try to concentrate on picking the EXACT spot you want to hit. Are you shooting from the ground or from an elevated stand?  As Josh said, a lot of folks tend to shoot high when shooting from a treestand?  

BTW, had to cancel my trip out there for next weeks hunt.  Sounds like you are in a good area at least, so you may get another shot.  You can do it Ken.     :)
U.S. Navy Retired 1965-1989
TGMM Family of the Bow

There are 2 secrets to wisdom: 1. Never tell everything you know.

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
What ranger 3 said is of utmost importance when hunting from an elevated stand. If you torso stays straight up and youjust lower your bow arm to shoot from an elevated stand, you will miss high almost every time. Bend at the waist and keep everything else the same as if you standing on the ground!

Keep your head up and good luck on the next opportunity!

Bisch

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
Words of encouragement?  Keep shooting....cuz you are seeing animals.....
I shoot and shoot like you read about all year long and you know what...heck with it Ill brag...I shoot damn good!   I have to,  because theres a snowballs chance Ill get the number of opportunities that you just missed on.  If I miss once,  chances are my chance for that year is blown.  Some years I travel out of state,  but past few years, not consistant.  There are quite a few animals around here,  but hunting can be very hard! So dont get too flustered about your misses if you are in a target rich environment.   You will connect on one of these opportunities you will most likely be presented with!  Keep your head up,  and dont think so much about your shot.  If you can shoot,  shoot the animal!  No mind!

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 09:50:00 AM »
Great advice from Kentucky TJ. When practicing there is never the issues of the deer walking, is he in position to shoot, will my arrow clear the cover, etc. To me that's the biggest difference in practice as opposed to hunting and we get "out of sequence" easily if we have the steps to go through in our mind.
You have to "let" your shooting become instinctive and that requires that you trust the hand eye coordination that you develop through practice and just pick that spot. It may take a awhile but it will happen if you stick with it and when it does it feels - natural.
When it "hit" me was when I had a deer just pop out quickly and there was no time to think. I just grabbed my bow, looked and shot - bullseye. Afterwards it was like - "what just happened and how did that just happen!" That's when I knew - this is instinctive shooting. The concept proved itself to me and from that time forward I knew that I could do this consistently! You will get there! Keep on keeping on!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
Hey Ken,You've been given some real sound advice that should help you immensley.
Now some things from an old codger from a differant perspective.I've been bowhunting for exactly 50 years now and have just about seen it all.I shoot a Trditional bow and bowhunt for one main reason ,Its my life,not just my hobby or sport.I live,eat and breath archery.I've had so many injurys during my life ,even getting out of bed each day is a bonus.Look at it this way .First your out in nature,not at work or a mall full of noisy ,pushy people.Your hunting and inticipating shooting a live animal.What could really be better.Secondly you have the freedom to be able to do this.Millions around the world don't.
Don't preasure your self that you have to kill something,but if you do you will be ready.What the others have said,get away from targets,go out with some judos and just shoot,and shoot and shoot some more.Years ago when I shot I went through the whole sequence,stance,fingers right,bow arm right,anchor right,release right.Now I just go shoot.Picking a spot is the most crucial step in your shooting.Go out and just concentrate on that.
As far as missing ,I won't even take you there.I could fill a big novel on the ones that got away.When people see the ones on my wall there in awe.I laugh and always say the same thing,you should see the ones that are still walking,a couple would have actually been world records.
Relax my friend,smell the roses,be happy for your health and enjoy the big picture.Besides misses make great storys and are alot easier to drag out !
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve Clandinin:
Hey Ken,You've been given some real sound advice that should help you immensley.
Now some things from an old codger from a differant perspective.I've been bowhunting for exactly 50 years now and have just about seen it all.I shoot a Trditional bow and bowhunt for one main reason ,Its my life,not just my hobby or sport.I live,eat and breath archery.I've had so many injurys during my life ,even getting out of bed each day is a bonus.Look at it this way .First your out in nature,not at work or a mall full of noisy ,pushy people.Your hunting and inticipating shooting a live animal.What could really be better.Secondly you have the freedom to be able to do this.Millions around the world don't.
Don't preasure your self that you have to kill something,but if you do you will be ready.What the others have said,get away from targets,go out with some judos and just shoot,and shoot and shoot some more.Years ago when I shot I went through the whole sequence,stance,fingers right,bow arm right,anchor right,release right.Now I just go shoot.Picking a spot is the most crucial step in your shooting.Go out and just concentrate on that.
As far as missing ,I won't even take you there.I could fill a big novel on the ones that got away.When people see the ones on my wall there in awe.I laugh and always say the same thing,you should see the ones that are still walking,a couple would have actually been world records.
Relax my friend,smell the roses,be happy for your health and enjoy the big picture.Besides misses make great storys and are alot easier to drag out !
This is perfect!!!! Thanks Steve!!!!

Offline threeunder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I am on the ground.  Quit hunting from trees several years ago.
Am relaxed more now and have a better attitude.

This is what makes TG so great!

Mack, if you do make it PM me.  Have info for you.
Ken Adkins

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
Slow down, pick a spot, and hit anchor. Other than that make sure you are shooting at calm animals, if they can't see you and don't know you are there then take your time. Wait to get excited after you shoot one    :bigsmyl:   You are seeing game and that's usually the hardest part of hunting. Don't give up!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©