3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1 single big rub??  (Read 198 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
1 single big rub??
« on: October 23, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Every time I find a big rub I only find 1. The last handful of years this is what I discover. A single random large rub! What gives? Anyone else ever have this? I search around and find no other big rubs. Most times not even another rub big or small. It's like a buck makes a random large rub and that's it.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1 single big rub??
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 01:21:00 AM »
Yes, they typically do that earlier in the season in preparation for the rut. It's not until right before the rut do they make rub lines, when you find one of those hunt it!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
Maybe it is the area I hunt, but I have rarely found a rub line. It usually is a solitary lage rub. If there are more than one in an area they tend to be smaller in size.

Having hunted the same land for a number if years I usually have a pretty good idea where I  am most likely to see deer, so my pre- hunt scouting has been less than if I was hunting new ground.  I don't like to spend too much time in the woods where I expect to see deer come hunting season.  That probably has something to do with it also .
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
A large solitary rub is more than likely a sign post/ scent rub that a lot of different bucks use.  I have had good success hunting the down wind side of them.   I have killed more than one mature buck checking the rubs from down wind.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Widowdoublelung:
A large solitary rub is more than likely a sign post/ scent rub that a lot of different bucks use.  I have had good success hunting the down wind side of them.   I have killed more than one mature buck checking the rubs from down wind.
This Is exactly what a big buck bow hunter told me today I work with. Sign post rub

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
Exactly what I was thinking.  You will see evrything from spikes to mature bucks using it.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
Look for very subtle rubs in the area too - sometimes the "rub line" is difficult to distinguish.  A mature buck will often walk through the woods and just "nick" large trees as he goes by them.  I've watched this a few times in person over the years - they don't even slow down, but just flip their heads at a tree as they pass and make a small mark - a couple inches to 5-6 inches long - as they go past.  On bigger trees - say 4 inches diameter and up - I always take that as mature buck sign.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
Oh, and what I classify as signpost rubs are large trees hit year after year - eventually signpost trees usually get killed from the deer rubbing them.  A first time rub on a big tree I don't classify as signpost - but probably a single buck using the area.

Growing up in Ohio - when I had lots and lots of time and lots and lots of ground to hunt - I knew of a half dozen real signposts in the area.  I periodically checked them through the season - when one started to get hit I'd get into the area for a couple of days at least.  I killed a couple of good bucks within a day or two of certain signposts starting to get hit.  One tree I still remember the day each year between 1988 and 1993 when that signpost first got hit.  Yeah, I've got a problem  :)

Signpost rubs (generally on cedar trees where I'm from) can be good to hunt.  If there is a big scrape nearby, even better.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
Thanks for all the help and advice. Much appreciated. The rub was on a conifer and on the opposite side was a old scarred rub for another year.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
This is in a competely differant area..  Ryan I don't know if you remember me telling you about the big buck I was hunting last season and spent my whole week of vacation hunting for that deer? Well I went back there yesterday... And guess what!? He is back! Trees 6-10" in dia rubbed. And some of them shredded so bad it looked like someone use a cheese grater on it. The ground around some of the rubs was so torn up it looked like a scrape at bottom of tree. He was definitely  taking out some agressions! Has to be same buck. He must have allot of junk around his bases or be very nubby to rip trees up like that. He broke some of the smaller trees off.

It's such a hard spot to figure out though. I never seen him at all. I just want to see him.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Red Shaft.Not all large single rubs are sign posts. Bucks many times will move several miles from their home turf to look for Does. The big single rub you found may have been a traveling buck. He made his mark and moved on for more promising breeding grounds. Then again he may be in the area, but not prone to leaving a lot of sign. Hope you get him, good luck.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
I'm seeing the same thing.  A big scrape has opened up pretty close to two large rubs on one farm I hunt.  All the sign is on hedge rows and really close to the old farm house.  I find it hard to believe he will be anywhere around during daylight hours.  

There are sign post rubs in the area but they haven't been touched.  This is maybe the start of a new one?

"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©