3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great night in the woods!  (Read 189 times)

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
Great night in the woods!
« on: October 23, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
Hey guys just figured I would share my story of tonight's hunt. At 2pm this afternoon it was raining and 37 degrees with a NW-W wind. It was cold and nasty, the perfect night to go hunting ! I was out in the woods by 4:30, sitting in my double bull archery QS3 magnum stool. Quick note for anyone looking for a hunting stool the double bull stool is pretty awesome ! folds up, not too heavy, and the V bottom is perfect for a bow hunter. anyway back to the story....
      So I was overlooking a small ridge on the face of a hill overlooking a nice swamp and some flat bottom lands. I had a good wind but just wasn't feeling it at this particular spot. The trail was too close and I didn't have enough good shooting windows. By 5:40 I was on my way to another spot. I chose a nice spot right off of a picked soybean field. I had nice cover around me along with a good window at a trail opening on the edge of the field 14 yards away. At 6:35 I was surprised to see a young doe pop out on the trail in front of me. She was unaware and kept walking past as I raised my bow. I decided to pass as more deer where coming.
    Another young one, followed by yet another emerged from the woods. They where all to small. Just than I saw a big doe. The woods came alive and 6 deer came out at once. I was eyeing up the big doe heavily when I heard a grunt.
   I could see antlers moving along the trail. A nice young 6 point emerged on the trail at a mere 14 yards. I drew back and picked a spot.......
   I let my draw down as I could see he was a young deer with great potential in a few years. He sniffed around and than chased a doe towards the woods. She ducts into the woods and circles directly behind me at less than 10 yards. Luckily I smoked my clothes and she didn't catch my scent. She did catch me move to look at her though. She stomped and blew but couldn't find me as I froze motionless. After a minute she walked back behind me and down the trail. The sun was past set and I quietly gathered my pack and stool and snuck out. I know where I will be looking for a buck when the rut hits hard.
   I have been hunting from the ground for a week now and I absolutely love it! With my stool and 3D leaf ghillie suit I can sit down and completely disappear in seconds. Being able to move easily along with the added challenge of being on the same ground as the deer is unbeatable! Now I just need a good opportunity at a nice buck. Cheers SS.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great night in the woods!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
:clapper:        :clapper:        :clapper:   cool story thanks for taking  us there
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 06:16:00 AM »
very cool story i hope you connect on a buck!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »
Great story. For those of us like myself who are on the road this is a welcoming story
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:23:00 AM »
sounds like a lot of fun to me.
is it September yet??

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
Love to see you pushing yourself more and more. Got your first deer with traditional gear from a tree and then straight to the ground to up the ante! AWESOME!

And on top of all that, you were on the ground and passed up an opportunity to wait on something more mature. Good work!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
Great work Taylor, those kind of experiences are priceless. Great herd management also, you had all the fun without any of the work. If you won't be proud of it don't shoot it.

Something tells me you will be using a atlatl before too long.

:thumbsup:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
Sounds like you had a great hunt!

Good luck on the buck!

Bisch

Offline oldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
CHX 58in 44@28 CHX 58in 52@28

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
Thanks everyone! Yes ground hunting is a whole different ball park and I think it is where I belong! I will still use my lone wolf from time to time when needed but I am quickly evolving into a dedicated ground pounder! This weekend I'm going to be trying my luck chasing after some fall turkeys.
 TJ, funny you commented about the Atlatl. A few months ago I had mine out practicing with it but I decided I'd best get a few under my belt with the longbow before I go that far. I can promise you I will try it though! Its only a matter of time. SS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©