3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Music while hunting  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Old Ways

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Music while hunting
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
Tyler Carlson - Didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess I picture most traditional hunters as still hunting their way into a stalk and anything that would take away the experiance or focus just doesn't fit. I sat in a blind once and hated it too. Never will do it again. Not a big fan of tree stands either. I feel too confined and seperated from the game and my surroundings. To each their own though.
"You dishonor an animal if you take it's spirit without knowing  and respecting the way it lived."

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
It probably wouldn't hurt to listen to music behind my house while hunting, because there is an Interstate Highway about 1/4 mile away and it's noisy all of the time.I could just see myself rockin out with AC/DC playing "Let There be Rock". I would be "duck walking" through the woods like little Angus............Oh never mind.  :jumper:    :jumper:
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
Ive thought about it several times but I wouldn't want to miss hearing a deer behind me or something. Noise is a lot times the first way I notice an animal in the leafy woods of long island.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
I hear voices...do they count ?

ChuckC  ;)

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »
Im starting to bring one for back country trips.  Its alot nicer falling a sleep listening to that instead of high winds or rain.  (just about any weather where your stuck in the tent)  While Im hunting there is just know way I could, just wouldnt feel right.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
I never thought of using one in the tent at night...thats a good idea. As romantic as it sounds in print, wind, rain, and a flapping tent can make it hard to fall asleep. Also at the shoots...some of those Compton folks stay up later than I do! ;0)
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ironman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
I never listen to music while I'm hunting. But i do here voices in my head.

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2007, 05:43:00 PM »
Not when hunting, but do use my ipod at our practice 3d range, at the local bowclub...My recurve, one arrow, run from target to target, shooting the one arrow!!! Some Metallica bangin away, or some days maybe some George Strait!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline chuckbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
I listen to books on tape while sitting in a blind or treestand all the time.  This past fall I shot 3 raccoons, a coyote and a 150 class whitetail while listening to my ipod.  None of them and numerous other deer ever reacted like they heard anything.
Chuckbowhunter

Offline Sawtooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2007, 12:02:00 AM »
I don't listen to music when I'm out there.  I feel a need to be in tune with everything going on around me, even back at the tent.

I run from 3-5 miles, normally at least three days a week.  Then I'm rockin'!  Same goes for driving home from work.
"Me got no house; me all time moving; light fire, make tent, sleep; all time go hunt, how have house?"

--Dersu Uzala
  Sihote'-Alin Range, Ussuria,  

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2007, 01:29:00 AM »
vireos-not stereos..
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
I don't do it because I feel I would miss something.  Hearing sounds helps me to see more deer.  I NEED to be consumed with my surroundings on my hunts.  I am out for the adventure and connection with God that it brings.
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
Occasionally I'll take something to read while in the stand but I would never listen to anything but the sounds of nature around me. I only have two senses to aid me while hunting, hearing and seeing and my hearing seems to be my first alert.

I don't own an ipod and I'm not into modern music. I like to listen to Jim Bowman and Mark Bakers hunting songs on CD. I also like the oldies, Vaughn Monroe singing "Ghost Riders In The Sky" Also Johnny Cash's version. Of coarse I always sing along and that wouldn't work out too good while in a stand would it?       :biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
The lyrics in Ghost Riders are amazing............every word fits into the story.
I hunt on the ground, and 'listening' is usually the
first detecter for Mr. Piggie-so no ipod and no humming.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
Never listened to music, but I've become addicted to ebooks and always carry my PDA with me....

I usually have 70 or 80 different books along.  I need to look into converting some of my hunting books.  Not sure how to do it without upsetting a copyright holder...
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline The Singing Bowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Try this, but I recommend listening before you hit the stand, rather than on it....

http://myspace.com/thesingingbowyer

Enjoy!
Shoot Straight,
Chad K. Slagle

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
why stop at music? with the new Ipod/Cellphone/PDA from Apple, we finally can beat boredom by listening to music while playing yatzee and online poker, check emails and stock portfolio, get news, sports results and the weather channel, and textmessage our friends to tell them what a wonderful hunting experience we're having.  :biglaugh:  

Ok, seriously, nothing but the sounds of Nature and the serenity of the woods/mountains for me  :)
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
Interesting topic and I admit to being surprised that some folks listen to anything but nature sounds while hunting. I love music and have it playing in my office and shop most of the time but could not do that in the woods.

I've heard before seeing most of the game I've taken while hunting from a stand and would not want to risk a shot opportunity. Even with all senses operational I've had animals in very close range without any warning.

Also when I go hunting one of my goals is to shed as many modern encumberances as possible. I don't even like to hunt within ear shot of a road.

Alex, your music is wonderful but I don't listen to it while hunting.   :)
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chad Sivertsen:

Alex, your music is wonderful but I don't listen to it while hunting.    :)  
Thank God you don't, Chad!  :D
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007, 03:21:00 PM »
yep,
I don't even listen to Keith Jarrett while I am hunting! Like my birds squirrels and insects too much.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©