3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Massachuseets season update  (Read 225 times)

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Massachuseets season update
« on: October 24, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
This week has been good! I should have shot a doe(the one I wrote a post about earlier this week.. opening day- grunting) , but it just didn't seem right. She was moving through a lot of brush and I just was not comfortable releasing on her. That afternoon (different stand) I saw three more, not sure what the sexes were, but I assume a doe with young'uns.
Next morning from a different stand again, I had a spikehorn rummaging around for a bit. Stayed at about 50 yards out. Smart boy he was!
To the north are powerlines. About 8:30, a crew started brush hogging the lines so here comes a doe and two squeakers full tilt right along the trail I was hunting.
I guessed where they were headed, and I have another stand over there in that area. I climbed down, snuck over and quietly climbed my tree. It is a huge oak that splits where my stand is. As I poked my head above the split...literally one step from stepping into my stand, there they were crashing over the knoll in front of me. They never spooked till my head popped up! 40 yards tops. I was planning to doe bleat, hoping the scared deer would come in trying to regroup.
Too late, already regrouped and off to a safer place. Took my youngest in that afternoon and hunted from a hill overlooking a brook crossing. Very thick.
They were on the other side of the brook all afternoon moving around. My son was so excited, and we both saw a tail wagging through the brush.
They moved off and as we headed out, we jumped the spike horn at the power line. Cool.
Not much the following morning, some more moved through my area that afternoon but I couldn't see them.
This morning totally quiet. Nothing moving. I have tonight to hunt, then off to Ithaca College tomorrow a.m. to see my daughter.
If I shoot one I'm in trouble. Fairly warm here, leaving in the morning, have to work Monday a.m. at 5. Not coming home till Sunday night.
So you all know, I will get a shot late this afternoon. Will have to track and process, and be all cleaned up and packed, all before sunup.
How are the rest of you Mass guys doing?
David M. Conroy

Offline Tyler C. Moore

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Massachuseets season update
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
I got into the airport at 4am after a week in Colorado. I'll be out Friday afternoon and daily from then on. Hopefully will have a lot to report
Tyler C. Moore

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
hunting only the afternoons due to work but too windy Mon & tues and also it was blowing in the wrong direction,,, yesterday afternoon started perfect but then it started raining.  I still have a bunch of spots to hunt that all hold deer but I'm holding off this opening week and taking next week off.  

as far as visuals,,,, nothing since the season started..... last sunday afternoon the day before opening day I was sitting in my stand just observing till dark and I had 5 at 25yds.
"Us vs Them"

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »
Got skunked on opening day. Saw two yesterday driving to my after work spot... Figures huh?
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 02:26:00 PM »
Small 6 point buck, broadside, at 20ish yards, no shot. He had no idea I was picking a spot.... I just wasn't comfortable
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 06:49:00 AM »
They are showing themselves but no shot opportunities yet.

Yesterday afternoon winds were something! I kept looking for the funnel cloud...  ;)
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 05:23:00 AM »
Gonna try again tonight after work. Looking forward to another great evening in the woods. An owl serenaded me while I walked out last night   :)
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
Any updates with the Mass Hunters.
"Us vs Them"

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
I've seen more deer this year in MA than the past few years combined.  only one shot opp at a button buck at 5 yards on the ground....while a huge 10 pointer was standing 60 yards away.   chose to pass and wait for the 10 point and he never came my way.  

interestingly enough, I have not seen a single doe in the woods.  only bucks.  tons of does on the trail cams though...mostly at night.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
Hick same here I got 2 deer but I think I've only saw 5 does total. I've been  hunting 3 that travel thru one of my areas for a few days witht he climber and I'm getting close to that ambush point but its been 3 seasons with no doe..  I've had more blood rushing to my head from an old doe than any of the bucks I've ever got,, I really need a doe!
"Us vs Them"

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
I've never shot a doe in my life.
 17 bucks, no does.
 Not that I wouldn't, I just either never had a tag or never got the opportunity.
Till this year! Took my first doe, 122# last week.
I'm a thankful guy.
I did not see as many deer as I thought I would this year.
A few does, a spike and a pretty nice 8 point. That's it.
David M. Conroy

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 11:18:00 AM »
you've never experienced the keen senses of a old alpha doe?  those old does that usually have to watch over fawns 24/7 man they just seem to feel when something just isn't right and get very very nervous very fast its almost impossible to even attempt a draw at them sometimes.
"Us vs Them"

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 05:30:00 AM »
I've also seen more deer in Mass than I ever have. Have not gotten off a shot yet, but I'm considering it a successful season so far. Heart pounding excitement has to count for something.
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 05:37:00 AM »
Well done David, I am glad you have healed so well.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©