3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Coyotes!  (Read 372 times)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Coyotes!
« on: October 24, 2013, 12:27:00 PM »
I shot a youngster (deer) for the freezer late and couldn't find it- no problem, I'd find it in the morning... the coyotes found it first. Nothing left but a few ribs, the backbone, and a patch of hide. I'll never leave one in the dark again.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Coyotes!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
Been there 2 times before. Will never let it happen again. I started trapping coyotes after the last one to try and thin them out. I have a lot and I.mean a lot of respect for coyotes skills and cunning but I hate how they steel my food.
  I don't leave deer orver night anymore. Even gut shot deer in the evening I will be back out there middle of the night rather than wait until morning because of the dang yotes. This winter I'm gonna hunt them as well, just bought a FoxPro caller.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
I had one eat almost a whole der in texas once.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »
Sounds like a prime off season project.  Predator control makes for some fine hunting.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
I bowhunt, rifle hunt/call, bait, snare, trap and kill them any way possible! I hate them, we are covered up with them and bobcats. I have killed 53 yotes within 2 miles of my house in 3 years give or take. Wife ran off a huge bobcat coming thru the pasture towards my chickens in broad daylight last week.
samuel koger

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 01:59:00 PM »
Bummer!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
I shot a big doe with "Hope" the other night. Liver hit. Waiting a bit, probably 2 hours total. All that was left was a head, neck and bones.

I am killing every one I see now. That is 3 deer in 5 years. I am going to trap them, shoot them whatever I can. My 80 is the thickest part of a whole section with farm ground all around. It is a great place to hunt but the bobcats and the 'yotes are hurting the team!
Mike Davenport

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
Just a FYI for guys with bobcats they are bringing huge numbers last couple years. Like 300-600 bucks per hide.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
3-600 is on the low end for a good bobcat!  That's our cheap lynx prices lol.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Sorry 'bout your deer but, I hate them 'yotes myself. Been thinking of taking after them with the bow during the off season.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your deer. I hunt coyotes, too, and have been fortunate enough to get two with traditional bows.

However, I don't hate them. In fact, I love 'em. I realize I'm not in an area covered up with them and that would probably make a difference. To me, the "woods" wouldn't be the "woods" without them.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Well, I admit hate was a pretty strong description. I don't much like them from some experiences when growing up but, they do have a place in the cycle of life as scavengers. Thanks Stan for inadvertently pointing that out to me!   :D    :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
I've lost a few to coyotes and hate it but sometimes you have to wait them out and not push them. They get off on the wrong property and you might not be able to get them anyway so your out either way.

Lb_hntr is kinda right, furs are definetly doing better and worth thinning out given the chance and you can make some good money along the way if you take care of your fur the right way. You blow them full of holes or take them into the byer all covered with stick tights cockle burrs and blood you will get very little if anything. Even bobcats!

A good prime skinned coyote or green skin might bring you $20/$25 tops but if you take the time to flesh it properly stretch it properly and dry it right you might receive $50 to $75. Big difference,  Those big numbers he is talking about are mostly western cats and they are nothing like our central and eastern  cats but our cats are still worth taking too.

Here's a pick of finished furs so you no I'm not full of hot air!

You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
My son lost his first deer in Colorado to coyotes this year. They seem awful thick. Here in UT theres a bounty on em :-)
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 04:49:00 PM »
the last two years i have seen more coyotes than deer on the farm that i hunt, but did get a coyote with my bow a couple years ago

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
Bobcats went for average of $120.00 each at local fur auction in central KY last season. Even the whole frozen animal went for that much and more. I saw it myself first hand.

We have a lot of 'yotes around but I have yet to lose a deer to any of them. I've been fortunate to have trapped them and called them in before with a mouth call....very exciting! I've never even been able to draw an arrow on one yet though.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »
That's about what central and eastern cats are averaging, far cry from the $300- $600 you will here all the guys talking about. I was talking coyotes    :thumbsup:  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
That sucks, I'd be super disappointed.

Hunt them if you want, but don't hate them. They do what they do, and they're good at it. They've been doing it since before we were around and they'll be doing it long after we're gone. They're amazing, if frustrating, creatures.

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
K.S. Trapper you sure have the yotes out there I had a farm out there for 5 years and they were thick.  I think they were putting a serious dent in the fawn crop every year.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
K.S.  thanks for clarification on the cat prices. We cant trap them here (well we can get one and only non private land) so all I had to go on is what I here from my friends that go to Texas to trap them.  I wish my hangers looked like your at the end of the season!
  But hunting and trapping yotes and cats (if you can) is a great way to bring their number down and save more venison!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©