3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rut Progress Report in your neck of the woods!  (Read 805 times)

Offline emfunk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rut Progress Report in your neck of the woods!
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
The last two evenings in Trousdale County Tn, have shown the little fellas are feeling frisky and checking every doe to enter the field, Saw 25 on Thursday evening, 6 different bucks, nothing over 1.5/2.5 years of age. 4 of the bucks were seen multiple times through the evening bumping and chasing, made for a very enjoyable time in the tree. Friday evening, 8 deer seen, one of the year and half old bucks from the evening before was the only buck seen but was feeling awful frisky, chasing 4 of the seven out of the beans back to a cedar, hoping one of the bigger bucks start putting the hammer down on these little ones haha.
"Go afield with a good attitude, and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and for the forests and fields in which you walk"- Fred Bear

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
Two bucks yesterday am and one last night just hanging with doe and fawns.  First bucks I have seen by eye or camera in daylight in weeks.

morning bucks were either checking or making scrapes.  Doe was hitting scrapes on her route,

have trail cam pick from a couple days ago of a doe urinating on her hocks and a buck checking it out a few hours later.  This was in a feed spot under a Oak on a field edge and at night.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
Saw 2 sets of lonely twins, this weekend.....

No Bucks, No Does... Maybe the Bucks have Mama in "lockdown" already?????
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
Not much activity at McAlester AAP this weekend. I little bit of checking but no real chasing.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
Saw 2 sets of lonely twins, this weekend.....

No Bucks, No Does... Maybe the Bucks have Mama in "lockdown" already?????
She is probably in someone's freezer and the kids are wondering around without supervision. I have seen that some where I am also. I know where one of their mothers  is.
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »
The bucks are on the move here also, that is at least along the RR tracks, found one today that was hit by a train, two main beams on each side, or I should say he had them, got broke off after trying to spar with the train, the piece I got is a 4pt. less the other beam that was also broken off, hate to see them get it like that.

On a good note, I also saw a big buck with a huge rack, way past his ears, crossed the road in front of me while I was going to work, one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen in N.J. Funny thing is he was crossing from the river area with plenty of woods to the houses just before light, he probably lives in someone's back yard and will never be hunted.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
I killed a 8 pt yesterday that was chasing a doe along with 2 other smaller bucks, the 8 pt attempted to breed her several times but she always walked out from under him, both deer were panting and worn out from the chase, its like what is supposed to be happening 3 weeks from now around here...
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
The young bucks are starting to get stupid. I have seen several doe haulin the mail and looking over thier shoulder. Had a little 5 point bird doggin a doe two nights ago. She almost fell down a good size hill she was so stressed. She ran out into a field and had three other doe on alert for 10 min.

Offline BuckeyeGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Hunted this weekend with my dad on our property in Ohio. I saw 3 bucks on Saturday and shot a 7 pointer that night.  I headed home yesterday and dad saw 3 more bucks last night.  The first two I saw were studs and my buck was probably his 2nd rack.  Scrapes all over the place and trees were tore up.  We have never seen so much activity this early in Ohio.  It's still slow in Iowa but I have not been out for a week here.  Driving home yesterday to Iowa I saw another shooter in Ohio and several dead along the highway.  It's hot in some places!

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2013, 08:39:00 AM »
I agree with BuckeyeGuy! Here in Ohio I have never seen this much deer activity this early. In the last week I have seen more bucks than I have all season combined. Sunday night I had 3 bucks working does. They weren't quite chasing the does but definitely following them close by.

Last night I had a 4 point come in and make a scrape at 10 yards than walk past me at 5 yards as I sat in my ghillie. Right before dark I had a very nice young 8 point walk right up beside me at 6 yards and head out into the field. He is the best buck I have seen so far. If I wasn't doing QDM and passing up all 1&2 year old bucks I pry would of dropped the string on him.

Online Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
I saw a 6 pt. and a 5 pt. trailiing a doe on Saturday. The 6 worked over a sapling pretty good. He was about 40 yards away at the time. He then walked up to the 5 and started head butting him and they worked each other over for about 10 minutes. They followed the doe up into an area I can't go. 30 minutes later they were 10 yards from me battling away again. I had a birds eye view of two bucks working each other over for at least 10 minutes. The 6 had a cut above his left eye. Really neat to see so close up. Boy I wish I had a camera. I had no desire to shoot either one. It was just fun to watch.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
Checked a secret spot yesterday where I know Does lay down in wait for bucks to come and check them. Sure enough, there were a Doe there waiting. I don't mess with the deer in this spot.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
I saw a fat little 4 pointer twice this morning. He was definitely "cruising". Covering lots of ground... no feeding... stopping very briefly to look and listen and then off again.

We are having some cool weather, especially at night/early morning. That can't hurt anything either.

My son took a decent 8 point last evening after videoing him rubbing a tree. Not seeing scrapes... but there are probably some out there.

Happy rut to all!!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
Two nights ago I witnessed a true monster making a scrape before he passed me at 30 yards. Oh why couldn't he have been at 20??? Too many limbs in the way at 30 and I am glad there was. Those limbs kept me from doing something I knew I shouldn't.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
Sat Sunday night and only saw does....

It should break loose anyday now.  I'm seeing a few rubs and scrapes but its still a bit early this far north.  

Hunting 3 of the next 4 days and hoping to catch that first wave....

Jeff

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Saw two big bucks in a bachelor group in NY on Oct. 12, no does in sight.

Saw two big bucks in a bachelor group in VA on Oct. 19th chasing a group of 6 does. No rubbing or scraping was seen in the hunting area.

October 25th and 26th, evidence of a large buck staring a rubline in the same area the two whoppers were seen the week before. Pre-rut just getting going here. I think another 10-14days to peak rut here. Seems a bit slow really ... not much rubbing and no scrapes yet, bucks have been on the move though.

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
i saw 6 different bucks tonight in a tree line between two fields. One ten point and a good eight point starting to act rutty  but a couple of small bucks were actually chasing does hard. Of course the ladies were having none of it.
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
:archer2:

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
The blacktail bucks have been rubbing everything in sight...during the night.

But I managed to rattle up this handsome fella last Monday morning.

"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
Scraps not being worked much right now but rain makes it hard to tell.  No bigger this week anyway.

Saw one small buck last night in the rain but he was not interested in the ladies in the area.  Saw 6 does with no bucks lurking.  This morning saw a nice 8 walk into a field and lay down about 9. Didn't look to be up to anything but coming from food and bedding for the day.

Tonight saw small buck and button buck.  The fork did hit a scrape. I have him a couple die grunts but he did little more than look in my direction the wonder off.

Hope it heats up quick.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©