3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First 3-D...stuffed on Humble Pie  (Read 449 times)

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
First 3-D...stuffed on Humble Pie
« on: September 09, 2007, 09:42:00 PM »
Well...I not even sure where to start.  I started shooting traditional this year shooting 3-4 times a week since March and have been humbled yet again.  My friend said he has never seen my so worked up (nervous) before a shot.

All practice has been under 20 yards and most is around 12-15 yards, I know my limits and practice has been from the ground.  Now the first shot was off a large platform and around 23-25 yards and hit high in the shoulder a bit forward...nervous.  Second was a miss low...hummmm why again did I want to do this.

Well the average was closer to 20-22 yards for the targets from the traditional stakes and as I've stated I'm more comfortable at a shorter distance.

I shot a 169 with 4 misses, a lot of 5's.  Just couldn't put it all together.  It's easy when you in the back yard and mess an arrow up you can just shot another two or three to correct the form mistakes...not here and not in the woods on hunts. This did nothing for my confidence at all.  When I start my shooting I always try to make the best shot possible on the first arrow and usually put it in the 3" circle from 13-15 yards.  I'd say 85% of the time I can hit it or be within an inch of it on my first arrow.  

I've shot a tone of 3-D over the years and this was like the first years with a compound so I guess I'll get better.  I did improve on the last 15 only one miss and gained 17 pts over the front 15.  I was short drawing some and my biggest mistake was shooting too quickly and not PICKING A STINKING SPOT.  There were several times I had good arrows to shoot at and make great shots but other times it just wasn't pretty.  I noticed so many things I wouldn’t normally do.  When my friend and I got home we dug is target out and my first 3 arrows were right where they were aimed an my eyes were looking (good solid group).  

I guess I’m just going to have to practice on a blank target and shoot for an area and see what I get…or should I continue shooting for a spot on the target and concentrate more when I’m in the field?

Thanks for reading this and if you have any advice it will be greatly appreciated.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First 3-D...stuffed on Humble Pie
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
I hear ya and feel your pain. The Muzzy is designed to HUMBLE!! Some shots seemed like 80 yards....Im sure they were closer to sixty...amazing. Good luck next time.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
Chin up,, pull your boot straps tight and get on. I've had my days like that too bud,,keep shooting close in your comfort range,,J
TGMM

Offline MrBadExample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
I feel your pain, can't really give you any advice except carry plenty of spare nocks and a small wood screw......long story already posted.   :p  

I seem to have similar problems, 15 to 17 yards no problem...shorter or longer then all bets are off.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
Yeah, but look at the  FUN  ya Had!!   :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
I'm sure this is a right of passage or something...ya that's it.  I can say there were shot distances that I wouldn't have taken in the real world. I'm thinking 18 yards is gong to be my max and I have two locations that will accommodate that range nicely.

I did have some fun but as my friend pointed out there was about a 4-5 target stretch that really frustrated me.  Learned a lot and that is all that is important.

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline T-Mac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
My first 3-d shoot was much like you described. I made it a goal for myself that each shoot I would do better. I can say that I have in general done just that. The main thing I could say to you is don't get down on yourself, just make it your goal to do better. Look for every chance to improve something and when you do acknowledge it to yourself. Always look forward with confidence.
Slow down and enjoy life.  It's not only the scenery you
miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where
you are going and why.
-   Eddie Cantor

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
Hang in there man. I also started this year and have shot at two 3d tourneys. Not getting nervous in front of others is one hurdle I struggle with. This may have been part of your problem as well. Once you get a few rounds under your belt, this usually gets better.

For me, 3D is a great way to practice for hunting season, and even better way to learn from guys that have been shooting much longer.

It helped me a lot to develop a routine before each shot. This helps make sure that you are concentrating on each shot and not rushing.

Mark
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 10:56:00 PM »
Yep,,,At a 3D shoot ya need a pre shot routine just like in golf....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 10:59:00 PM »
Josh...not to worry you will have good days and bad days. Just go out, have some fun, and learn from your good shoots and mistakes.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 11:49:00 PM »
Head game. Next time you go just relax, take your time, joke around with your friends and just have a good time, your score will improve not that there was any thing wrong with what you got. You only droped 4 arrows on your first 3D. Not to bad
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by wtpops:
Head game. Next time you go just relax, take your time, joke around with your friends and just have a good time, your score will improve not that there was any thing wrong with what you got. You only droped 4 arrows on your first 3D. Not to bad
First it was a 30 target course and with a compound I'm around 235-250 so in the big picture I'm not saying it was bad.  This was my first traditional 3D shoot so the uneven terrain was a first. Sharp down angles off platforms were new.  On a tree stand I won't have the rail in front of me and I'll be able to shoot the bow a little different.

Funny 2 of the 4 goose eggs were on easy targets, one was the second target at a shorter distance and the other was a panther in a tree but close.  Just total form breakdown, not easy to correct form breakdown when you only get one arrow.  Found myself looking for a target to shoot during the course, but didn't know if that was legal or allowed.  Couple of times I would really concentrate and I’d get a great score, had 3 10’s, eight 8’s and the rest were 5’s.  I did finally notice the form mistakes I was making and finished 8,8,8,0,5,8,8,10,5,5.  

Definite head game for sure...I've been to enough to know better but it was an issue for sure.  

Oh well maybe next time.  I'm going to keep at it, never give up.

Most fun and easily the most excited about bow hunting I've been in the past 7 years.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement.
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 11:41:00 AM »
I've shot 3-d for a number of years now except I only went one or two times a year. I never came home happy with my score and my form seemed to change completley at the shoots. Sometimes I'd draw and have no idea where the arrow might hit. The pressure of other people I guess. This year, I have gone every month and have improved alot. Forcing myself to refocus on the spot after the draw has helped alot. I have to hold at full draw a second or two but it made a difference for me.
 Funny about the backyard thing. While I only shoot one arow at a time from different spots, I NEVER miss the target completley in my back yard. I used to always complain about it to others at the 3-d shoots until one man put me in my place. He said "Mike, we're ALL the king of our own backyard!"  I haven't brought it up since.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Someone on here once penned, "You can't hit what you're trying hard not to miss"

I think 3d experiences, especially with folks you don't know, kinda fall into that experience of "trying hard not to miss."

3 weeks ago I got to shoot a round on a private farm in S. MD.  Don't know what I expected, but when 3 or 4 other shooters showed up w/ compounds and were "limbering up" at 40 yards, it messed with my head and I was a wreck all morning. Trying too hard...and failing miserably.

They shot waaayyy beyond my comfort zone throughout the course. So what did I do? Shot beyond my current skill just 'to see' how I'd do and I lost arrows. I laid off for a week. Came back. Started working the bag and holding form. Been in treestands and on the ground since and it's coming together nicely...and even dropped a bunch into a tight li'l group last night at 30 and 35 yards!

Never try that hunting...but it was nice to do it on my own.... kinda the way I hunt. On my own. But that "others" factor kinda seems to add the bit of pressure live deer do..so it's good practice I think cept' for the extended range.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
Whenever I do the the 3ds, I do no more than 20 yards. I never shoot at a deer farther than that so that's all I practice at.

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
I'm putting the finishing touches on an arrow and after that I'm going to go back out and shot some tonight.

I have replayed that shoot over and over in my head and can see all sorts of mistakes and I guess I'm lucky enough to realize them.  Sometimes you finish an event or back yard session and wonder what was that.  

I'm just going to file this in the big box of experiences of life and learn all I can from it.  One thing that keeps coming back to me is not picking a spot and releasing clean.

Going to work on that tonight.

Thanks to all that have replied...and again I'm having a blast this year for the first in many when it comes to shooting bow.  

I have traditional equipment to thank for that.

Josh
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
First I can say you will get better if you want to.Anyone can miss.Forget the miss,you can't get it back.Shoot each target one at a time.If you want to get good don't make excuses like.
1.I just do this for fun.
2.I don't normaly shoot this far.
3.I would rather be lucky than good.
4.I shoot better at home.
Chances are if you have an excuse you will use it before the end of the day.

The most important thing is you learned you need to improve.Don't fel bad, just find out what you need to do different and do it.

I am not trying beat you up over your score.I am just telling you a mindset you need to win.All winners play the game to win not just for fun.You just need to decide what you want.

Good shooting
Randy

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 06:36:00 AM »
I agree with Randy.You just have to shoot each arrow the best you can 30 times. :)Let the chips fall where they fall.Remember that your arrow is the only ones that counts.Don't be concerned with what others are doing.Even though there is a big group of people around it really is just a one man game just like when you hunt.If you can see rings on a target always shoot only for the smallest one you can see.If like a lot of us you can't see the rings learn to zone shoot for the center of the area you think they are at and you will do ok most times. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©