3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How`s the INDIANA deer hunting going???  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How`s the INDIANA deer hunting going???
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
The only time I can get in the woods is on the weekends. The last couple have been pretty slow! I have a few days off work next week, so I'm gonna hit it as hard as I can.  I usually hunt Lawrence, Orange county ...so kinda south central!

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
I am hunting in SE.  Saw a little 6 pt. yesterday afternoon running back and forth on a ridge looking for trouble.  My son saw two others showing off for each other a couple hills over.

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2013, 08:25:00 PM »
I have seen deer every evening I've gone out. The deer seem to be moving about 30 to 45 minutes before dark. I have not had a shot yet but I'm hopefull I wll soon. I hunt Morgan, Monroe, Brown, and Johnson counties so I guess it would be Central.
'Nothing's forgotten... nothing's ever forgotten' - Robin of Sherwood

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
They grow up too fast.
X2
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
saw a nice buck chasing a couple does last saturday...should be good here soon. Reporting from madison indiana
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Offline flintznstyx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »
So how many of you fellow Hoosiers think that there is enough deer to justify the increase in bonus permits? Here in Jennings they went from 4 to 8. I drive truck and with that big of increase I should be seeing deer in every field I pass. And I pass a lot. Still lucky to see a cpl here and there.
Eric

Banshee TDR 60" 43#@28"

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
I live in west central Indiana and as of last weekend, it seems that things are starting to pick up. Found a few scrapes and some rubs. Up until last weekend things were very, very slow. I won't be able to get out until Saturday afternoon as I am in Indy. My wife is running the 5K charity run tomorrow for Diabetes research and supporting her with my presence is the least I can do. Good k=luck to all and I hope to have some hunting stories to share by Sunday evening. Hunt hard, hunt safe!!! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2013, 03:54:00 PM »
Mike, I'll be in the area next Saturday and will be there for a week. Keep me posted on how you do.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Terry, will do! I will be in TN to see my new grand-daughter over the Veterans Day weekend, but will be back in time to hunt the evening of the 11th. I am working on the south end of Terre Haute, so maybe I can run down to Sullivan after work for a bit one evening. Hunt hard, hunt safe! Mike

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Saw two 1 1/2 year old bucks yesterday evening.   One eating beech nuts, the other, I rattled in.

This morning I saw nothing despite what seemed like ideal weather.

I am near Spencer. (SW part of the state)

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
I saw one nice 8 pointer this afternoon about 4:30.  He was just cruising slowly through the woods.  Way out of range though!  Maybe tomorrow.  Good luck all!

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
I had a small 5 point come straight in on me about 10:45 yesterday morning.  Nice bodied very young deer. Never gave me a shot opportunity, but was great nonetheless. Good luck and stay safe.
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
Bounced a yearling doe after dark heading out and saw a nice doe about 8:30 this morning, no shot on her though. Still hasn't ramped up here yet.
SWA Spyder

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
Kind of a slow weekend.  I did see a pretty nice buck chasing a doe this evening though.  Also saw a couple other does and 2 other bucks.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
Don't know if it is the corn not being picked yet or what, but I am not seeing near the amount of deer...bucks or does....that I am used to seeing. Jumped one doe this afternoon on the way in and saw one smallish buck at about 50 yards, but that was it for this afternoon's hunt. I did find some more scrapes opened up. Won't be able to get out again until the evening of Veteran's Day. Good luck to all, hunt hard, hunt safe! Mike

Offline Robyn Hode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
I hunted the last two mornings and didn't see a thing. I did see some fresh rubs and scrapes but I think I might go back to hunting in the evenings I seem to see more deer. Good luck all.
'Nothing's forgotten... nothing's ever forgotten' - Robin of Sherwood

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Still no luck here yet! I have several days off next week, so I hope to get plenty of woods time then. I'll report back...hopefully with hero pics!
Good luck fellow Hoosiers!

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
I decided to hunt from the ground this morning for the first time today.   Found a poplar with a big tangle of grapevine in front of it and sat with my back to it.   It was on the edge of a bluff of sorts.

I settled in and a couple grey squirrels cut loose at something to my left, but, settled quickly.  They were barking at a six point buck heading in our direction.   He walked a trail in front of me and I bleated at him 8 yards out and broadside.  He stopped late behind a green briar and I held at full draw.    

He looked right through me then began walking again.  The next "lane" I had was 22 yards out and he stopped at my bleat, quartered away.

I let the string loose staring at his last rib.  The Woodsman strayed a hair left (behind) the ribcage.  I watched him run through the woods with my yellow fletching almost buried.   He went 70 yards and laid down.   I silently watched for the next hour then snuck out to give him time.  I didn't like the shot.

4 hours later, with a small army of hunting buddies (6 to be exact), the trail proved to be tremendous.  Nothing like I expected!  I had to hit a major artery somewhere.  It led to my first antlered traditional kill!

There is just something about it, Isn't there?  Hard to describe.  I've taken a lot of deer with wheels and muzzleloaders, including mid 160's bucks.

Still, my heart pounds harder with a forty year old recurve on my lap when I hear the leaves crunching louder and louder!

I hope to get a thread and a picture or two up soon.

Good luck all and be safe!

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
That's fantastic Matt! Can't wait to see the pics!  :thumbsup:
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2013, 08:25:00 AM »
Ok Matt, what happened to ya?

Any updates?

I was out on Monday from about 10 am til what I thought was 2:30 but turned out to be 1:30. Danged day light savings. My phone said one time with the cover open and another time with the cover shut. No deer were seen.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©