3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A safety reminder! Wear your harness!  (Read 357 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
A safety reminder! Wear your harness!
« on: October 24, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
I've read of more falls already. Guys a reminder that we are in the heart of our bowhunting season. Please take a few minutes make sure your taking the proper steps necessary to ensure you can still work your jobs and be there for your families. Safety first then hunt. Don't rush.. No short cuts...
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline vintage-bears

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A safety reminder! Wear your harness!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Your right and thank you!
"In the wind, He's still alive"
TGMM Family of the bow
New York Bowhunters

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
Yep, my dad fell hanging a stand before the season started, limb gave way on him.  Broke his wrist and now won't be able to shoot a bow until after the first of the year.  Be safe out there.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 05:49:00 AM »
I agree wear a harness.  I know some guys don't like them because they are "restricting".  If they think a safety harness is restricting what do they think a wheel chair will be like?
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 06:19:00 AM »
I just started using a "safety line" rope this year with my lock-on stand. It attaches above your head to the tree while you're on stand and goes all the way down to the bottom of the tree where it's attached to the tree there. It's got a prussic knot that you attach your harness to and you slide it up the rope with one hand while you climb the tree. Once installed it's not inconvenient at all to use. I have climbing sticks that I use to get to my stand and it works great with any type of steps or whatever you use to get up into your stand.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »
I would find it hard to fathom that in today's day and age with all the info out there, that anyone would be foolish enough to hunt in an elevated stand without one. But I know those folks are out there, hopefully no one like that visits this site, what a sad post that would be if one of us was hurt or worse because of a lack of harness use. I do know that getting in and out of a stand is also very dangerous and if an ascending and descending safety system is not used then extreme caution is a must.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 06:53:00 AM »
I have gone to Lifelines for all my hang on stands too.  10/20/2012 is a day I will never forget.  A strap gave way on a stand before I could attach my harness to the tree.  I was lucky and walked away from the 15 foot fall with no injuries, but scared to the core about what could have been.

D.P.

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
I just shake my head when  i think about how many hours i spent in stands in my 20s without a harness............SO STUPID!! Thankfully I never took a spill. I wont go up a tree ever again without one. Stay safe guys!

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
I have two extra full body safety harnesses in my basement in un-opened packages that I received from purchasing two hang on treestands earlier this year.  I'd be willing to give them away if the person receiving would agree to pay shipping.
>>>--------->

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
A harness is a must!
here is a video I made that shows the right way to use a harness. my wife said "why are making a treestand safety video when there are so many of them already" I said "because you cant be reminded enough" great job making this reminder thread.
 http://tbwpodcast.com/video-15-tree-stand-safety/

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
Yes, yes, yes. Buy one and wear it. I was with a friend hunting last night that took a 20' tumble two years ago because a ratchet strap broke on his stand. If not for hitting numerous limbs on the way down I am afraid he wouldn't be with us.

I found him wandering aimlessly through a field after he tried to call me. I could tell by the muted crazy talk coming through the phone that something bad had happened. A very broken feeling watching your buddy being put on a helicopter and flown away.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 10:20:00 AM »
We can never have enough of these reminder threads - WEAR YOUR HARNESS-
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
A friend of mine has a friend of his from PA that comes every year to hunt with him using my friends stands. This guy refuses to wear a harness. I told my friend he better insist because if this guy falls out of his stand you can bet his wife is going to sue you for all its worth.

If nbot using a lifeline check out LB hntr excellent podcast on how to set up a stand and always be connected to the tree.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
It sure is nice when your treestand is your safety harness...

Offline Bob Baur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
Yes a harness is mandatory when up a tree. I never wore one up until about 5yrs ago & it wasn't but by the grace of God that I never got hurt. I guess middle age makes you more aware of your mortality.

LB Hntr. I listened to your podcast on tree stand safety a week or so ago, very well done & I always look forward to your next one.
Black Widow LAG 49#@28

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. -Psalms 27:14

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
Wearing a harness is not enough! I had mine on but before I could attach my tether the stand broke. Stay hooked from the time you leave the ground. I nearly died and am still dealing with some after effects 2 years removed.

*Open fractures of fingers

*Tendon laceration left hand.

*First of many surgeries with another on my gut before the first of the year.

I know these are rough but I won't go up without a lifeline again. Be safe everyone!
Mike Davenport

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
Middle age makes you wear a harness ... OLD age makes a guy stay on the ground! I only ground hunt these days but I preach to all my friends and family if you are climbing up WEAR A HARNESS!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
I am a believer in using the harness. It scares me to think back to the 70's when we first started hunting regularly from elevated stands. My first tree stands were boards wedged in the crooks of forked branches, with no thought of tying in. Luckily, I have never fallen, but I know of several guys close around who have had serious injuries. Like paoliguy, I now hunt a lot from the ground.
Sam

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Put this back up top.
Great reminder.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
Altiman94
A very generous offer that shouldn't go unnoticed or unappreciated!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©