3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stain and sealer for arrows?  (Read 296 times)

Offline osagestick90

• Trad Bowhunter
stain and sealer for arrows?
« on: October 24, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
Looking to build my own arrows I've got shafts feathers fletching jig and nocks on they way.

But I'm wondering if I can stain and seal them reasonably well without dip tubes and would like something readily avalible, like a lowes or  hardware store items.

As this is my first crack at it I'm just wanting to make a shootable no frills arrow also simple to make.

Also using fletching tape, my only experince in wood finnishing is two rifle stocks I stripped and refinished

Any advice?
Toekle Classic Whip 62" 56@28

Browning Wasp 56" 45@28

Offline Rock 'N Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: stain and sealer for arrows?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 11:54:00 PM »
Minwax water based stain and wipe on polyurethane work great. The stain can be mixed to your desired color at Home Depot. A minimum of 3 coats of the polyurethane makes for a durable arrow.
Todd Henck Longbow 68" 58#@28"
Dave Johnson Longbow 66" 60#@27"
Northern Mist Ramer 64" 50#@27"
Northern Mist Classic 68" 52#@28"
Shrew Hill #1 "Alpha" 67" 48#@28"

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »
There are several build along videos in the Resource forum.  Rob has a nice one.  The answer is yes. If you use Rite dye, some colors are better than others. Yellow is hard to get dark. Mixing dye with Rubbing Alcohol works better than water.  Watch the video.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 07:01:00 AM »
Keep us posted some great arrow smiths here will help out a great deal

:clapper:

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 07:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rock 'N Bow:
Minwax water based stain and wipe on polyurethane work great. The stain can be mixed to your desired color at Home Depot. A minimum of 3 coats of the polyurethane makes for a durable arrow.
That's what I use. For me, it works great. The only issue is that you need to be patient with the drying time for poly. Give yourself a couple days drying for each coat. Building the arrows are half the fun of shooting them.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ric O'Shay:

Originally posted by Rock 'N Bow:
That's what I use. For me, it works great. The only issue is that you need to be patient with the drying time for poly. Give yourself a couple days drying for each coat. Building the arrows are half the fun of shooting them. [/b]
Yep, yep, and yep.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
sure. You can buy poly with stain already in it
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline dtarbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
I know you didnt ask but you can buy one of those tubes they use to put golf clubs in and make it into a dip yube for a couple of bucks.At the auto parts store Ive had them mix up a quart of automotive lacquer any color you want.Ive made some pretty cool looking arrows with it and also some I didnt want to be seen with.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
Yellow can of minwax stain at walmart and silver can of wipe on poly next to it.  Fletchtape works great.  That combo and rustoleum spray paint for caps is all I use.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
Minwax wipe on, tung oil, and tru oil can all be wiped on with a rag and come out looking great.

Offline cuboodle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
You should consider making a dip tank it's simple and will cost you about 8 bucks saves so much time and it's worth it only if your going to make a few arrows which will turn into a bunch because it's addicting!!!!!

Coffee can lid snaps on top

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
I have been doing it for years....Minwax water based stain...two or three coats depending on how much grain in the doug fir shafts I want to show.  I lightly rub with steel wool (or Scotchbrite pad)to smooth out any grain that pops or dust.

When dry I get some shotgun cleaning patches...put on gloves and then soak one of the patches in Minwax Wipe On Poly....coat shaft good and let dry.  I drilled 12 holes in section of 4x4 to use as stand so tip of arrow after it has had tapers put on each end will fit in hole and only touch at the taper.

When dry completely I rub with Scotchbrite pad lightly up and down shaft. You can tell when it is smooth again without removing the finish you applied.  I do this three or four or more times depending on if I want a satin or high gloss finish.  After couple days of doing this I apply final goat...when dry either leave as it is or scotchbrite depending if I want some shine or satin look.

Let dry a couple days...then fletch.  I enjoy doing them like this rather than dipping as I am not doing it for business or to keep others in arrows.  It is like an annual rite of passage...build a set of arrows for upcoming season for specific bow I am going to use off the wall...or for something new I have that I have no arrows yet.  Seeing the shafts change from raw wood to finished arrow over a few days is magical...the smell of wood...the smell of stain...the poly....the smoothness of shaft....glue while fletching, installing nocks, installing field points and broadheads (I always do 6 and 6)...spinning them until true on wood or plastic surface...and then taking one to shoot for good luck.

it is all about the experience to me..not efficiency.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
Haven't made any in a while but I use Fiebing leather stains and then Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane.

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »
Another minwax, fiebing, or lost nation stain user along with minwax wipe on poly gloss user.  Let the stain dry a day and then depending on temp and humidity it usually takes about  3 to 8 hours for the wipe on poly to dry with steel wool 0000 in between coats.  I usually do 4 coats then crest with a water based paint, let that dry and do one last coat of the wipe on poly and let that dry overnight before I fletch.  Try to let the arrows sit a full 24 hours between the last coat of poly and when I actually shoot them.  No fumes, no mess besides a dirty cloth from the stain and wipe on poly and I can get everything from a local Wally World or hardware store.  The finish on the commercial dip stuff is definitely harder but to me since I can only make them in the house is not worth the fumes.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
I use Tru-oil for a sealer.  Works great, apply with my fingers (wear a latex glove) and you can touch up spots if you get some wear.  Just about any stain will work; however, I don't like water-based stain.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline FXJr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
What glue for fletching do you all use with the Minwax stain and Minwax Poly?
 Frank X.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Duco works with most of those.
I also use a thick CA glue sold by Grizzly tool co.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Machino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
I use Bohning tape on the min-wax poly finish and bohning platinum for the ends of the feathers.  Duco also seems to hold well.

Offline FXJr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies on the glue. I really like all the information from this site and the people willing to share their passion.
Frank X.

Offline osagestick90

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
Well the fletch tite platinum does not like minwax fast drying poly. The fletch tape was not very fun my first try. Glue seemed easier so I squirted some on closed the EZ-fletch jig waited 10 minutes popped it open and the feathers stayed in the jig.

I even roughed up the area and used lighter fluid to clean it then dried area. If left closed for almost two hours they stuck, but I dont trust them to stay on.

Should I try duco?
Toekle Classic Whip 62" 56@28

Browning Wasp 56" 45@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©