3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How much wind is too much  (Read 482 times)

Offline Roverrich

• Trad Bowhunter
How much wind is too much
« on: October 25, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
Tomorrow is forecasted w/ up to 15 mph winds. My hunting lease is pretty flat w/ fingers of timber through out, not too much wind break. Got me to thinking about how much wind it too much to hunt w/ trad gear?

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How much wind is too much
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
If we didn't hunt in 15 mph wind in Wyoming, we wouldn't hunt much. I regularly hunt in 20-30 mph wind with no problem. When I used to live in Casper, a 20 mph wind was a low wind day.
I would love to see Mark Baker chime in on this, since he lives in Livingston, Mt., which is one of the windiest places around.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline goldflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
I don't like the strong wind, but like centaur, If I did not hunt in it I would not hunt much. tomorrow in Western Oklahoma it is forecast at 10-20mph and that is not too bad. I'll be out in it. I see the deer moving in all kinds of windy situations. It also help cover movement.
Morrison Shawnee, Longbow Limbs- 47.5# @ 28 1/2", 45.5# @ 28 1/2"
Toelke Whip- 52# @ 28 1/2"
Damon Howatt Hunter- 45# @ 28"

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
We had some windy days during elk season this year, was camped on a treeless plain and hiking up adjacent ridge to hunt timbered ravines. Did some practice shooting with broadheads across the wind and with the wind. Across the wind sure caused a lot of fishtailing, upwind and downwind had minimal negative effect. Don't know what the wind speed was exactly but it was moving at a pretty good clip. As you would expect, shooting with broadheads, the wind makes a lot mord difference!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
I hunt a lot in high winds as well. I think the deer move becasuse they are uncomfortable sitting when the winds pick up. I see deer just as much in the wind as I do when its not windy. add in some light rain and you have the makings for a great night on stand imo and in my area. my area is heavily pressured. so I think the deer know that when the weather is crappy the woods is empty of hunters. just like they move a lot more mid day during hunting season then during the off season.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
Good timing since tomorrow it the wind is going to increase to 25 -30 mph in the evening. Here on Long island the deer do not like to move when the wind is over 20 mph, but duringthe rut all bets are off.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
20 mph seems to be about where I draw the line.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
I was hunting in gusty wind up to 25 mph last Saturday with pelting rain. I was holding onto the tree with one hand and had my bow and fletchings tucked under my wool vest in the other hand.

Witnessed a doe standing in the middle of a cut cornfield through it all grazing as if it was the most beautiful weather. The storm blew over as we planned, and all hell broke loose in the woods.

Full chasing action for the rest of the night.

Can't kill them from the couch is what we like to say.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
I love the noise and movement camo that wind provides.  Course if it's loud enough I can't hear critters coming either haha.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »
Same as Walleye fishing 9 MPH.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
15mph I'd be out and up; once you get toward 20 I won't go up a tree. Never had much luck in 20+ mph wind. However if it's prime time I'll ground hunt even in higher winds.
SWA Spyder

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
It is 20 gusting to 30 here today. We are going out anyway.  The deer around here don't seem to pay much attention to wind, I am always surprized to seem them out and about in high wind conditions. It does justify the use of Hill broadheads over large wide broadheads.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
If you limited yourself to 9mp around here, you wouldn't be hunting much.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 01:58:00 PM »
12 to 15 mph,  I shift gears....out of the blind/stand,  and on with the still hunting!  Remember, you can always go looking for them!  Keep the wind in your face and explore! Ive walked right up on deer nesting in blow downs....wind was perfect,  noise was masked...they didnt know I was coming!  The instance that comes to mind,  was a year I did NOT have a doe tag!!!

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »
30+ gusts today and tomorrow, I'm going out! Never know
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
You guys are talking "calm" days around here!  Try 50 to 60 mph for days, even a month on end, with gusts reaching much higher.   Deer move normally around here...they are used to it...have to be or they'd starve.  

Real windy days are great stillhunting days, and you just adjust and use other tactics.   I killed one 6 by 6 on a day that the wind derailed 13 boxcars off the tracks nearby....from the ground of course.   There are days I stay not only out, but away from trees, and head for brush or "out of the wind" hidey holes.  So to answer your question....around my neck of the woods, it's almost never too windy.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 07:52:00 PM »
When I get motion sickness while sitting in a tree, it's too windy!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »
I knew Mark would jump in here! Livingston makes Casper look tame for wind.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
I start rethinking my spots after 10mph. I don't remember killing a deer over 15mph or so and I hunt regardless.

Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
Windy? Love it, Don't think about getting in a tree stand, it's time to hit the ground. Spot and stalk if possible. Corn fields are my first pick, overgrown fields with or without hedgerows can hold big bucks during high wind. When big bucks can't smell whats coming, they want to see whats coming. Stay low......crawl if you have to! High wind can be a fantastic advantage to the bow hunter. The Deer want protection from the wind in the winter.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©