3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Verticle Storage of Bows  (Read 261 times)

Offline BowZen

• Trad Bowhunter
Verticle Storage of Bows
« on: October 25, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
There are few glass bows that I shoot regularly- about every other day. I usually store them strung, on pegs, but in a vertical position. I have been doing this for a few weeks now, never unstringing them, and letting them hang in my basement.

By hanging them in the vertical position, will the limbs develop a twist? Is it safe to hang them this way for an extended period of time?

Any help or opinions will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Verticle Storage of Bows
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 02:15:00 PM »
You should be fine storing them that way. I do mine horizontally but verticle will work. Wes Wallace mentions this way in his literature.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline gonefishing600

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
All my bow are stored horizontally and unstrung.

I would never store any of my bows strung. IMHO I just don't think it's a good idea. But if you must do-it, I would be very mindful of the ambient temperature when storing a bow strung in any position.

Just my opinion, I'm probably wrong!
JD Berry Argos 64" 48#&28"
Toelke Classic Whip 64" 46#@28"
Acs one piece 64" 46#@28"
BlackWidow PLX 66" 46#@28"

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
My bows remain strung year round.  Some hang from two hooks out at the limb tips horizontal - others from a single peg on the wall.  never an issue.  I do have them in the basement with relatively cooler temps yr round and wouldn't do it in a hot room or attic.

Offline Lex Hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
I've been hanging a Martin Mamba that way for a couple years, with no twists or problems.  As others have mentioned, I'd be hesitant to that in a room or region where the temp and humidity fluctuate significantly.  This bow is in my living room and I live in a warm, dry climate.  So far, so good.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
My Dad's Herter recurve he purchase in 1960 is strung and ready to shoot at all times.  Never had an issue for years of this practice.
The fiberglass recurves I've build live the same way.  Have never had twisted, sagging or set in the limbs.  
Wouldn't do this to an all wood bow, though.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
The bows I shoot frequently stay strung all the time, some have been for years. Most are hung horizontal by the string, but a couple are vertical on a peg in the wall. No problems either way.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
I leave several bows strung forever- some lay on chairs, others are hung vertical from pegs etc whatever works. They seem perfectly happy to me. Bows that are unstrung and stood up in the back of the closet unseen and unloved are the ones that develop bent tips-especially recurves.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
ones I shoot are hung by string while braced...longbow on vertical rack and recurve horizontally.  With recurve you want to make sure there is no lateral pressure...should be fine.

all the rest are unstrung...both vertical and horizontal.  never a problem with any of mine over the years.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »
Everything I've heard is that there is no problem HANGING a strung fiberglass laminated bow horizontally or vertically as long as it's not hot. If the space is too hot, the glue could soften and lead to delamination.  This possible even if it's just sitting in front of a window on a sunny day.  It's not LIKELY to delaminate even if it's hot as long as it is not under stress.  Wood bows should be unstrung and HUNG.  No bow should stand leaning against a wall or corner.  Generally, a bow is in greatest danger of being broken while being strung or unstrung (especially if you don't properly use a stringer).  That being the case the less you have to string/unstring your bow, the better.   I generally store my bows unstrung and horizontally.  Horizontal 'cause that's the way I built my bow rack.  Unstrung 'cause it's illegal (in Mich.) to transport a strung bow in my van unless it's in a case and I don't have case that will fit a strung bow.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline BowZen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
Thank you so much for all your insight.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 09:26:00 PM »
I store mine horizontally, but the shooters are hung vertically - sometimes strung for years.  

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
I store all mine vertically for fear of putting a twist in the lower limb. I'm just funny that way, I do leave some strung all the time cause I shoot a lot.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
his is old and I have cleaned out a couple but you get the picture.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
I was taught over 50 years ago to always unstring and to keep the bows horizontal on bow racks or pegs.  And those pegs or racks should hold the bow as close to the riser section as possible and not stress the limbs.  Never done it any other way and never have any trouble - I teach that to others....  I have seen lots of bows hung vertical on pegs at Scout and youth camps and way too many twisted limbs for my liking.  Do what you want since many here have said they have no problem with vertical and/or strung.  Just my $.02
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
If I have a bow with a slight twist, after straightening the limb, I may leave it strung over night, or for a few days to reset the limb. However, if there is a twist it can make it harder to straighten later.

I have stored bows both vertical and horizontal, but always at room temp. Never use a tip protector, or leave it on, because it can hold moisture, and can cause a limb to eventually delaminate. The bow should be dry. Not subject to high heat, direct sunlight, damp & cold.
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
If you pick up your bow and move it and flex it at least once a week, even if it is leaning against a wall, nothing will happen to it. The problems come when a bow is resting on that lower limb for years in the closet and sitting crooked. Longbows with little weight and stout limbs are fairly indestructable for this either way, it is the heavy handled narrow tipped recurves that can pick up the set when leaning crooked in a corner.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 06:26:00 PM »
X2 Bear Hart, I have never had a problem storing them like this.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©