3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: natural ground blind chairs  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: natural ground blind chairs
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 06:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by edge2009:
I can't really justify to myself paying $200 for a folding chair, just my .2

Rustic how has that set up worked for you, heard a lot about it. But again dependent of a tree
Edge, I really like this seat. I can set it up in less than 5 seconds and the cushion gives me more comfort and height. It is a stand alone seat, so you dont need a tree for it. Hope this is helpful.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 06:35:00 AM »
I  use a Double Bull Magnum. I can sit in it for hours without fatigue. It's the perfect height and is easy to shoot from with 68" longbows.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline edge2009

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 07:30:00 AM »
Thanks folks!
Jake Edge

Kanati 43# @ 28"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
Another vote for the Double Bull Magnum. After years of sitting on stools without backs, this thing is like an easy chair.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
My favorite setup is a semi open grassy slope with about 50% coverage of small cedars. At this time of year, around here that is the most common bedding and doe chasing areas.  The cedars with a ghillie make a perfect cover combination. The trouble is no trees to lean against and often a fairly steep slope, with the added problem that the shooting chances can come from anywhere. For this, the best I have ever found is the Huntmor.

Offline Pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 08:03:00 AM »
The shappel 360 Chair, I just bought it after reseaching everything out there. I did make A quiet fleece carrying bag over the one provided. AND put A closed cell foam pad on the cloth seat.Keeps the buns warmer. Sat in it 4 1/2 hours yesterday, heading out again shortly. Buy four of these for price of one Huntmore 360. Paid about $53.00 shipped to my door, definately A very good buy . I do have a homemade strap-on seat for a tree also. I also ordered some Ice Breaker boot covers, I feel the $100.00+ for these items are going to be A plus for this season.Pete

http://www.shappell.com/trailchair.html
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it. Boldness has wisdom, power, and magic in it.  W.H. Murry.

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
Big thumbs up for the Nif-T-Seat.  One of the biggest things I like is that it is a take-down design that is light and folds up very small.  I carry it in a small canvas satchel slung over my shoulder.  It lays flat against my hip and is no problem to stillhunt or stalk with.  

Another biggie is that is has just a single leg, so it always sets level and doesn't require a tree to set up.  The model I have has two leg post sections which you can thread together to sit high, like being in a normal chair, or use individually (with just the long or short section) to sit lower to the ground.  The single leg also lets you pivot in any direction and silently and effortlessly.

I'm sure some of the bigger chairs with seatbacks are more comfortable if that's your main concern, but this is the best "hunting seat" made, IMO.  I've had mine for probably 10 years or so.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
X3 on the PAC Seat. But I'm thinking of switching it up a bit and making a Torges Seat.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 11:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jerry Jeffer:
I use this.

I do the same thing with my Lone Wolf hand climber seat portion except I haven't taken off the brackets and belt so I am somewhat limited on the tree size.  Good idea on the ropes, that should make the LW seat work on any tree...   :thumbsup:  

I also have a Huntmore 360.  I know it has already been eliminated from consideration but I will say it is by far the most comfortable ground blind seating system I've ever used.  It's not as portable as the LW seat, but still easy to drag around and allows me and my bad back to actually sit comfortably for about as long as I want too.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »
That Shappel Trail chair looks great.  I think I have to order one of those.  Nice price.
T ZZZZ

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
X3 on the PAC Seat. But I'm thinking of switching it up a bit and making a Torges Seat.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
I would like to encourage all of those that ground hunt to think about a couple of things before committing to any seat. I have been ground hunting for over 20 years and I have hunted in most of the seats mentioned here. Not an expert but have sat in a few for some time now. Let me preface by saying if money is truly an issue and you cannot afford a certain seat I understand- been there, done that. If not:
1) Get one that swivels!!
3 Reasons: A) You WILL miss opportunities sooner or later when deer approach from your offside. On me that is to my right. If you are not in a seat that swivels you will not be able to move in the seat and turn to make that shot. Why go through all of the time, expense, license, gear, effort and then handicap yourself if you do not have to.
B) Accuracy: this is more important than the missed opportunities. Think about it. If I told you to shoot at a target and you had a chair that doesn't swivel you would position that seat so that your torso would be properly lined up for the best shot, sit down and shoot. It is the same reason you position your body a certain way to shoot when standing. If a deer doesn't line up just right and you are in a position that compromises form then accuracy will suffer. Missed shots or worse yet, wounding shots.
C) Comfort - When the squirrel behind you is making you twist your neck like you need an exorcism it is just so nice to turn in your seat a little and make sure it's not a buck walking thought the leaves.
2) Get one that is comfortable for long sits when necessary. Depending on how many spots you hunt in a day, (I am a 2-3 spot per day guy), being able to sit for hours relatively motionless will translate into more deer sighted and more shot opportunities.
For those who have ground hunted very much you understand how enjoyable and frustrating it can be at times. Getting a shot at a deer from ground level is just more difficult and any and every advantage you can put in your favor will make ground hunting a more fulfilling experience. I think one of the most important decisions you will make as a ground hunter will be the seat you sit in. May I suggest that you choose wisely and then go have a blast!
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 02:07:00 AM »
That is eaxctly right, Todd.  Just this past Saturday, I had two problems with my Nifty seat. One, I have to lean against a tree to remain comfortable for any length of time, a horizonatally misformed tree was in the perfect spot for the main trail. The blown down branch with a bunch of brush would have been better, but no back rest. Two my butt hurt after a while.  I ended up getting up quite often. On one of those times while I was sitting a buck and a doe came in on my off side. I could not turn to make the shot, so I slid off the seat spooked the deer and dropped my knee on tree root which pushed the knee cap way off line. With my Huntmor and my poncho I would have been set so I could have rotated, still had cover, and my knee would not be stiff and swollen, and I very likely would have had tenderloin and deer heart for Sunday dinner. Lots of folks like to save where they can, we went through a half dozen of the cheap rotateable three legged seats before we got the Huntmors, they did not last long. The problem with the Nifty seat is that it is limited and way too portable. A good companion when still hunting, but not the best choice when one knows where they are going to sit. Any good bow will be as accurate as the shooter, but your arrows, broadheads and shooting platform are too important, they absolutely have to work for you. We don't even want to think about what I did with my Nifty seat a couple of years ago, when I had a disc problem, I had a hot spot that had no back rest, I was stiff and sore, and I fell flat on my back when shooting at a ten point buck at only 15 yards. I completely missed and could barely make it back to my vehicle.

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
Ive hunted from the ground and found that there is no perfect seat.
I personally like a seat that is easy to get u from (higher off the ground)
Thats why Im looking at the hunterseat.
I think its adjustable to where your knees wont be bent so far.

Everything seems to hurt at 53  :bigsmyl:
Slickhead

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
I have a Primos double bull magnum that is quite comfy and has a nice backrest.  It's a 3 leg seat but much larger and more sturdy than most.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
I dig down at least 6" for my feet when I can using my Shappel 360. I always carry a small 3 prong hand rake, sure works well to smooth out an area quickly.
Whatever you can do or believe you can, begin it. Boldness has wisdom, power, and magic in it.  W.H. Murry.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©